Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Why Only 5MB/s in USB or USB-WIFI transfers?

Need help with peripherals or devices?
bester69

Why Only 5MB/s in USB or USB-WIFI transfers?

#1 Post by bester69 »

Hi,
My old computer (pentium 4) doesnt have any ethernet card... and was looking if if i was able to use some USB ethernet cheap adapter to solve this.

I tried to transfer my backup throuht WIFI.. but rates speed are below 10MB ..I also checked all USB ports to query speeds and are all of them below 10MB/sg, when there's suppose to be a USB 2.0 port (480Mb == 60MB/s)
USB 1.1 Basic Speed USB 12 Mbps
USB 2.0 Hi-Speed USB 480 Mbps

Its clearly its not using USB 1.1 cos rates are faster.. but its very slow in usb2.. i dont understand why is this happening

here, you can see my devices are using bus with a USB 2.0 speed bandwith, but then when i move data its down to just 10MB/sg as maximum.. :shock:
lsusb -t
/: Bus 03.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ohci-pci/3p, 12M
/: Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ohci-pci/3p, 12M
/: Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci-pci/6p, 480M
|__ Port 1: Dev 20, If 0, Class=Vendor Specific Class, Driver=zd1211rw, 480M
|__ Port 5: Dev 24, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=usb-storage, 480M

do you know what might be happening? :?:

p.d.: Can i use a USB-ethernet adapter or do i need to buy an intenall PCI ethernet card for getting normal speed rates in network backup? :?:

thanks
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

sgosnell

Re: Why Only 5MB/s in USB or USB-WIFI transfers?

#2 Post by sgosnell »

The transfer rate isn't necessarily limited by the USB bandwidth. No matter how fast data can be passed through a port, it may be the write speed of the drive that limits the transfer speed. Do you know the maximum write speed of the destination drive? Or the read speed of the origin drive? Read speeds are generally much faster than writes, so it's likely the destination drive will be the limiting factor.

All that said, we know nothing about your system, thus cannot tell you what might be limiting your transfers.
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

bester69

#3 Post by bester69 »

sgosnell wrote:The transfer rate isn't necessarily limited by the USB bandwidth. No matter how fast data can be passed through a port, it may be the write speed of the drive that limits the transfer speed. Do you know the maximum write speed of the destination drive? Or the read speed of the origin drive? Read speeds are generally much faster than writes, so it's likely the destination drive will be the limiting factor.

All that said, we know nothing about your system, thus cannot tell you what might be limiting your transfers.
Ok, I think it must be the pysicall usb devices , they're kind of all...i think I will use a cheap internal ethernet instead an usb adapter; just in case.

this a P4 , with debian 9

hardinfo report
-Processor-
Name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz

Name : GA-8S648
Vendor : Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. (http://www.gigabyte.com.tw)

-PCI Devices-
Host bridge : Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 645xx
PCI bridge : Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AGP Port
ISA bridge : Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS963 [MuTIOL Media IO] LPC Controller
SMBus : Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS961/2/3 SMBus controller
IDE interface : Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 IDE Controller
Multimedia audio controller : Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS7012 AC'97 Sound Controller
USB controller : Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller
USB controller : Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller
USB controller : Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 2.0 Controller
Communication controller : Conexant Systems, Inc. HSF 56k HSFi Modem
VGA compatible controller : NVIDIA Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]
Im gonna use the old computer as a NAS pc, with NFS protocol.. i hope this ethernet card goes well.., I would like at least 100MBytes speed rates between both computers :roll:

bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

bester69

#4 Post by bester69 »

I investigated a litle more and found out a quick disck bechmark

in USB1 disk.:
sudo hdparm -tT /dev/sdc

/dev/sdc:
Timing cached reads: 1536 MB in 2.00 seconds = 768.30 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 34 MB in 3.13 seconds = 10.88 MB/sec

in USB2 disk.:
sudo hdparm -tT /dev/sdc

/dev/sdc:
Timing cached reads: 1526 MB in 2.00 seconds = 762.95 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 52 MB in 3.13 seconds = 16.64 MB/sec

I guess it depends on how fast is the usb device, they both are old cheap usb's

sgosnell

#5 Post by sgosnell »

The USB version has no effect on the read or write speed, as your benchmark shows. It could be USB1,2, or 3, and the bus speed does not affect the read or write speed. That's not a function of the bus, just the onboard NAND. You can never exceed the write speed of the drive. The read speed will always be much greater than the write speed. The bottleneck is usually the write speed of the destination drive. I have a newer SanDisk SSD connected via USB3.2. It writes ~1GB/sec. I have some older SD cards, connected through USB3.2, and their writes are very slow. Even though the bus can pass 10Gbps, they can't write data anywhere near that speed. I haven't bothered to measure it, but it's not in the same ballpark as newer devices.
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

andre@home

#6 Post by andre@home »

bester69 wrote:Hi,
My old computer (pentium 4) doesnt have any ethernet card... and was looking if if i was able to use some USB ethernet cheap adapter to solve this.
p.d.: Can i use a USB-ethernet adapter or do i need to buy an intenall PCI ethernet card for getting normal speed rates in network backup? :?:
For that money you could buy a better computer that you have now from the thrift store.... or even get one for free if people around you buy a new pc.

So using an old pc has some charms but there may come a point when yo say goodbye to that old nice stuff.... :idea:
If you still like it very much give it an honorable place in your hobby or other room. :mrgreen:

bester69

#7 Post by bester69 »

andre@home wrote:
bester69 wrote:Hi,
For that money you could buy a better computer that you have now from the thrift store.... or even get one for free if people around you buy a new pc.

So using an old pc has some charms but there may come a point when yo say goodbye to that old nice stuff.... :idea:
If you still like it very much give it an honorable place in your hobby or other room. :mrgreen:
Dont know what to say.. it feels so big and heavy and clean my old tower computer :cry:

I was seeking at amazon and I found some beautifull DIM DDR RAM of 1Gb by just 7€ each one, i think i can put it 3 Gby as maximum ...and so keep it using with debian 9, just in case my laptop fails (to have something to use for internet until I get a new laptop.)....I think you dont get a computer by 20 € anywhere unless someone gives it to you..thought you can get some decent second hand computer since 70€.

Once I get a new laptop, i will keep the other one as a backup and throuhg away that old dinosaur

andre@home

#8 Post by andre@home »

Yesterday I've put a very nice working Pentium 4 ~3GHz laptop with charger and at least 1GB RAM in our thrift store where I do volunteer work checking the equipment. The price is €12.50....
Why... the group that will run Linux on it is very small..... as most people wanna run Windows 10 and then you need at least a laptop starting from roughly 2010, preferable at least dual core and preferably 3GB DDR3 RAM to work reasonably with it.
I know for sure as my my wife has such a laptop Dell Latitude 4310.
Running Win10 on my dear old Dell D630 .... forget it, so that one is running MX-Linux a Debian clone.

Give it a thought, you can still put your system on a the place I already mentioned:" If you still like it very much give it an honorable place in your hobby or other room."

PS: We do not have a webshop... transport cost would be similar as such a laptop would cost.

bester69

#9 Post by bester69 »

andre@home wrote:Yesterday I've put a very nice working Pentium 4 ~3GHz laptop with charger and at least 1GB RAM in our thrift store where I do volunteer work checking the equipment. The price is €12.50....
Why... the group that will run Linux on it is very small..... as most people wanna run Windows 10 and then you need at least a laptop starting from roughly 2010, preferable at least dual core and preferably 3GB DDR3 RAM to work reasonably with it.
I know for sure as my my wife has such a laptop Dell Latitude 4310.
Running Win10 on my dear old Dell D630 .... forget it, so that one is running MX-Linux a Debian clone.

Give it a thought, you can still put your system on a the place I already mentioned:" If you still like it very much give it an honorable place in your hobby or other room."

PS: We do not have a webshop... transport cost would be similar as such a laptop would cost.
if screen and keyboard werent broken, I would pay that prize for that laptop and buy it more RAM..and would have a backup PC... I prefer to have a small laptop than a big and heavy tower... I like to take care of things and make them last longer.. Ive my 2008's laptop extensa like if it was new.. no scratches in screen.. all keys stay in place.. I also keep a Canon MP160 multi-printer like a new one.. and inks are very cheap... My 2008's laptop even auto repair itself with time..there was a big period of time screen have flickerings...and It autorepaired :mrgreen: , if you take care of things, they last decades....I still have a microwaves from 2007 working.., and had a Citroen Xara (1999) like the first day we bought it.... Also had a shoes that were broken some years ago I took them to repair Shoemaker, and nowadays i use them everyday...I think they were bought in 2010 or so :mrgreen: , but they look healthy
yet.. i try not to mess them, and when i come home i take them off. 8) You save money