Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is there a printer suported list there?

Need help with peripherals or devices?
xxsmzxx

Is there a printer suported list there?

#1 Post by xxsmzxx »

As title, thanks.

arzgi

Re: Is there a printer suported list there?

#2 Post by arzgi »

Maybe a better approach would be to find out if the printer you are thinking works in linux.
http://www.openprinting.org/printers/ has a huge list, quite many of them are old models.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#3 Post by arochester »

Generally, HP printers work best with Linux.

Usually, the printers to avoid, with Linux, are Lexmark and Dell.

Choose a printer and ask us before you buy it?

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

^As arzgi said, https://www.openprinting.org/printers, although it obviously depends on a user having written a review.

Check out the manufacturer's website - they may have a search option. I did this with my Brother laser printer and there was an installations script.

The HP web site will tell you if HPLIP supports your printer. Then it's just a case of checking if that version is in the version of Debian you are using, or if you'll need to install a more recent version.

You may find guides written by Linux distributions about which printers work, which don't, and how to fix some issues.

Or just do a web search - you might find somebody has done a post somewhere on how they got on with the printer in Linux.

Check if the printer is new enough to support driverless printing - if it is, you just need to check that the version of Debian you are using also supports driverless printing. (It's not always new in terms of purchase history, it's new in terms of design. My Brother lase mentioned above was purchased a couple of years ago, but seems to be based on a design that's been around for a decade or more and it doesn't support driverless printing.)

brian_p

#5 Post by brian_p »

xxsmzxx wrote:As title, thanks.
The list is at

https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessPrinting
--
Brian.

eor2004

#6 Post by eor2004 »

Hi in my experience you can get Linux drivers for some Epson Canon brother and usually HP printers the majority of HP printers doesn't need drivers, generally when I go buy a printer I look in the support pages of the printer to see if there's any drivers for Linux and then I buy it, the printer I'm using right now on debian is an brother MFC 497 DW it works perfectly with deb drivers I downloaded from their support page, hope this helps cheers!
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#7 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

arochester wrote:Generally, HP printers work best with Linux.
Usually, the printers to avoid, with Linux, are Lexmark and Dell.
(..)
Dell is not manufacturing any printers - they are just selling re-branded hardware of questionable quality - in general it's better avoid re-branded HW.
Lexmark is not very friendly for Linux, but their printers with native support for PostScript standard are working perfectly with Linux - all You need is a PPD file. (and IMO Lexmark laser printers are technically better than HP, especially the paper feeders)
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

NorthEast

#8 Post by NorthEast »

The installed gutenprint program lists lots of printers for which it supplies drivers which are listed in xml files at:
/usr/share/gutenprint/5.3/xml/printers/
That's on debian bullseye. Bear in mind that the drivers may not produce the full functionality of the proprietary drivers, but they've been good enough for my usage.

shep

#9 Post by shep »

A little background. When you click print, the vast majority of applications generate a postscript file (*.ps). If the printer is Postscript capable, the printer will be able to print the file.
Postscript was originally propitiatory and printer manufactures had to pay a license fee to Adobe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostScript
Adobe stopped charging license fees and published the code. Based on the released code, almost all printer manufacturers have written their own "Postscript" capable drivers. Brothers is called BRscript3. With Postscript/Postscript-emulation, the printer does all the processing. The Postscript capable printers are usually the more expensive, business capacity printers in the manufacturers line. Directly stated, printers with Postscript/Postscript emulation will work with any operating system that can access the printers port.

Cheaper printers shifted some of the processing work to the host computer and there are some open-source programs that will "filter" the *.ps print job so that the printer can understand it and print it. Ghostscript (HPL4/HPL5e/HPL6) , foo2zfs, Gutenprint, splix are filters that are available in Debian. The extra filtering step means that, all other things being equal, the print job will take longer to start.

With that background, look at the manufacturers specs, They usually provide a Printer language description. My Brother HL 5450DN supports BRscript3 and HPL6 , I knew it would be a safe Linux/OpenBSD choice. If the specs say GDI, it depends on the printer manufacturer. Most HP GDI printers have drivers in the hplip package. Some Brother GDI printers can use the reverse engineered brlaser package.