Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Lenovo w/ Nvidia Quadro P620 Debian 10 Halts on boot

Need help with peripherals or devices?
acottag

Lenovo w/ Nvidia Quadro P620 Debian 10 Halts on boot

#1 Post by acottag »

Hello!

I just got a Lenovo Thinkpad P15v with a Nvidia Quadro 620 graphics card.

The installation process goes fine, with the font size / graphics in proper scale.

However, after the installation finished and when the system reboots, the grub font size is tiny to the point that is almost unreadble.
When I choose the Debian 10 option and the system shows the usual boot messages again in a very tiny size; after that the system halts. I have do do a hard reset in order tho make the system come back.

The laptop uses a Nvidia Quadro P620 with a working resolution of 3840 x 2160, which I believe is the cause of the tiny / unreadable Grub and boot messages - and possibly the cause of the system halt.

Does anyone has had a similar problem? I really would like to have a functional Debian installation on the laptop.

With best regards,
Alexandre
Last edited by acottag on 2021-04-29 12:10, edited 1 time in total.
Desktop own built system
Motherboard: Asus H97-Plus
CPU: Intel Core i3
RAM: 16GB
2 x 1TB HDD
Debian 10 "Buster"
--------
Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad P15v
Intel Core i7
16GB RAM
1TB SDD
Nvidia Quadro P620

stevepusser

Re: Lenovo w/ Nvidia Quadro P620 Debian 10 Halts on boot

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Can you give us a link to the hardware on the thing, paying close attention to how recent it is?

You could also try the KDE Edition of MX 19.4 Linux and give us the result of the Quick System Info tool from the menu in a Live session, if the screen ends up readable in that Live Session (that version of MX includes update hardware drivers and non-free firmware that may help). I'm specifying KDE because that has better screen scaling than XFCE.
MX Linux packager and developer

acottag

#3 Post by acottag »

Hello stevepusser,

Thank you for your reply.

Regarding the link to the laptop hardware, I'm afraid there is no information available regarding more specific hardware specifications. Anyway, one can visit
https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/th ... 2WSP15P5V1 to get some info on the model Lenovo Thinkpad P15v.

Now, I followed your sugestion to run MX 19.4 KDE in live mode:

1. The Grub splash screen and the font size was right.

2. When selecting the option to run the OS, hardware was detected and I can even see the icons of wireless and bluetooth working!

BUT: Everything was sooooo smaaaaall that I had a very hardtime to understand and read anything. Icons and fonts are very, very small, nonetheless the OS is running well.

The problem, as I did mention before, probably as to do with the Nvidia Quadro P620 graphics card that provides a very high resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixel and that makes the OS to show the desktop icons and fonts in very small scale.

Maybe with an option to the kernel solves the problem - I really don't know, as I'm not such an advanced user.

Thanks again,
Alexandre
Desktop own built system
Motherboard: Asus H97-Plus
CPU: Intel Core i3
RAM: 16GB
2 x 1TB HDD
Debian 10 "Buster"
--------
Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad P15v
Intel Core i7
16GB RAM
1TB SDD
Nvidia Quadro P620

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

If you can manage to make out the text and get into the KDE desktop settings (MX is using the Buster KDE packages and there is a icon for the KDE settings on the taskbar), there is a button to adjust the display elements scaling on the display settings screen: https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=62020

Then you should be able to run Quick System Info from the menu and paste the output into a message here. Just paste the output, it's already on the clipboard and preformatted for a post. Then we can determine if Debian Buster can possibly run on that box, or if you'll have to go to Debian testing or stick with MX. Debian is OK up to Intel 9th Gen graphics, as with (example) i7-9XXX CPUs, but tenth and eleventh gen are going to need a newer Mesa--MX AHS/KDE has it, Buster doesn't.
MX Linux packager and developer