Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Problems ( flash on screen ) with i915

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Vctrsnts

[SOLVED] Problems ( flash on screen ) with i915

#1 Post by Vctrsnts »

Hello,

I have a Lenovo Y700 laptop with the following configuration:
  • Skylake CPU
  • Intel HD Graphics 530
  • GNU / Debian SID 11 (bullseye)
  • Kernel 5.10.0-6-amd64
And since I have put this new version of the kernel (previously I had version 5.3) the screen makes me like flashes :cry: and in the syslog file I get the following error message:

Code: Select all

kernel: [28864.804055] i915 0000: 00: 02.0: [drm] * ERROR * CPU pipe A FIFO underrun
I have been looking for information on the internet to see how to fix this, but what I find is a bit confusing. The solutions I have found are:
  • Deleting the package xserver-xorg-video-intel" and using the kernel driver solves it, but if I do this, the system tells me to remove all the xserver-xorg
  • Creating the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
I'm going to try creating the file to see if the problem is solved, but what I don't quite understand is removing the video-intel package. How to do it, because in my case, if I do it, I lose xserver-xorg.

Thanks if you can help me.
Last edited by Vctrsnts on 2021-06-09 16:00, edited 2 times in total.

stevepusser

Re: Problems ( flash on screen ) with i915

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Vctrsnts wrote:Hello,

[*]Deleting the package xserver-xorg-video-intel" and using the kernel driver solves it, but if I do this, the system tells me to remove all the xserver-xorg
Thanks if you can help me.
In this particular instance, I really have doubt that that is what the message says. By removing the xserver-xorg-video-intel (x-x-v-intel for short) package, you remove one of the dependencies of the "x-x-v-all" metapackage so it must be removed. However, the rest of the other related video drivers, which aren't being used by your machine anyway, then become autoremovable. You can remove them safely, or mark them as manually installed to sidestep the issue.

Your hardware should be automatically using the kernel's modesetting driver instead of the intel one, anyway. It can be be set otherwise in a conf file, but you don't need to remove anything to get the system to use either driver. We have a little Tweak tool in MX Linux that does that in a GUI, so I know this is a fact.
MX Linux packager and developer

Vctrsnts

#3 Post by Vctrsnts »

stevepusser wrote:[
In this particular instance, I really have doubt that that is what the message says. By removing the xserver-xorg-video-intel (x-x-v-intel for short) package, you remove one of the dependencies of the "x-x-v-all" metapackage so it must be removed. However, the rest of the other related video drivers, which aren't being used by your machine anyway, then become autoremovable. You can remove them safely, or mark them as manually installed to sidestep the issue.
First of all thank you very much for your help.

When you say that you doubt that the message is that, sorry, but every time there is a flash on the screen, this message appears, so I have to believe that this happens. Also, formerly with versions prior to 5.3 I did not have any screen problems, everything started from 5.4

Thanks, because now I know how to remove the x-x-v-intel driver.

Finally, what application do you mean?

Again, thanks for your help.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Vctrsnts wrote:
stevepusser wrote:[
Finally, what application do you mean?
Again, thanks for your help.
Again, I must guess that you meant MX Linux's mx-tweak tool, which is not in the regular Debian repositories.

$ apt show mx-tweak
Package: mx-tweak
Version: 21.02.02
Priority: optional
Section: admin
Maintainer: dolphinoracle <dolphinoracle@gmail.com>
Installed-Size: 1,545 kB
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.14), libgcc1 (>= 1:3.0), libgl1, libqt5core5a (>= 5.11.0~rc1), libqt5gui5 (>= 5.7.0), libqt5widgets5 (>= 5.0.2), libstdc++6 (>= 5), mx-viewer, mx-tweak-data
Recommends: compton, compton-conf
Download-Size: 485 kB
APT-Manual-Installed: yes
APT-Sources: http://la.mxrepo.com/mx/repo buster/main amd64 Packages
Description: MX Tweak
 MX Tweak is a tool for quick tweaks to the Xfce environment supplied with MX Linux
We add features such as the relatively easy way to switch compositors and intel video drivers if we feel users will benefit from them.

Vctrsnts

#5 Post by Vctrsnts »

stevepusser wrote:

$ apt show mx-tweak
Package: mx-tweak
Version: 21.02.02
Priority: optional
Section: admin
Maintainer: dolphinoracle <dolphinoracle@gmail.com>
Installed-Size: 1,545 kB
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.14), libgcc1 (>= 1:3.0), libgl1, libqt5core5a (>= 5.11.0~rc1), libqt5gui5 (>= 5.7.0), libqt5widgets5 (>= 5.0.2), libstdc++6 (>= 5), mx-viewer, mx-tweak-data
Recommends: compton, compton-conf
Download-Size: 485 kB
APT-Manual-Installed: yes
APT-Sources: http://la.mxrepo.com/mx/repo buster/main amd64 Packages
Description: MX Tweak
 MX Tweak is a tool for quick tweaks to the Xfce environment supplied with MX Linux
We add features such as the relatively easy way to switch compositors and intel video drivers if we feel users will benefit from them.
Thanks.

But if I add the source on my

sources.list
and update I see and error message

not found ip and the Repository don't have Realease file
I trying.

Thanks a lot.

At the moment, I create the file

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
and don't have any flash.

Thanks

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

Oh, I also forgot that Skylake and higher Intel graphics adapters require non-free firmware to work correctly. In Buster, it's in the firmware-misc-nonfree package--not installed by default in Debian, and you'll also have to manually edit your sources to add the nonfree section.

Did you tell the system in the conf file to use modesetting? Why are you making me use magic powers to find this out? :D

Vctrsnts

#7 Post by Vctrsnts »

stevepusser wrote:Oh, I also forgot that Skylake and higher Intel graphics adapters require non-free firmware to work correctly. In Buster, it's in the firmware-misc-nonfree package--not installed by default in Debian, and you'll also have to manually edit your sources to add the nonfree section.

Did you tell the system in the conf file to use modesetting? Why are you making me use magic powers to find this out? :D
Hi,

The file that use is this:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.com

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
        Driver      "intel"
        Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa"
        #Option      "AccelMethod"  "sna"
EndSection
Thanks I lot

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

I never said for you to try and add the MX repository to get Tweak...if you just want it, Head on a Stick wrote a guide on how to do that in these forums if you do--otherwise you will get the errors you did.

SNA acceleration, which is the default for the intel driver, works fine for other Skylake users, why the old UXA?

Vctrsnts

#9 Post by Vctrsnts »

stevepusser wrote:I never said for you to try and add the MX repository to get Tweak...if you just want it, Head on a Stick wrote a guide on how to do that in these forums if you do--otherwise you will get the errors you did.

SNA acceleration, which is the default for the intel driver, works fine for other Skylake users, why the old UXA?
Hi

I put the explanation that a person gives in the exdebian.org thread regarding this problem and the reason for using UXA instead of SNA.
More than that, what you have done is tell it to use the same driver, modifying the method for 3d acceleration. Intel went on to use the sna method by default to the detriment of the uxa method, which is the one that had been used. The problem is that sna does not always go well with all intel, thus maintaining the possibility of using one or the other. If the graph is somewhat old, it is normal that it gives you good results. On the contrary, in new graphs, sna works best.