Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

CPU overheats while backups are running

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Caitlin

CPU overheats while backups are running

#1 Post by Caitlin »

I'm unable to take Clonezilla backups of an Asus laptop's hard drive.

Background: this model has a persistent problem with overheating. I did everything I could to keep it cool, including putting it out on the balcony at 4 A.M. when the ambient temperature was 17° C - 63° F, attaching a chimney to pull the heat out, tilting it so the hottest part was highest, turning off multi-core compression, and setting it on a cardboard box with frozen blue ice in the box. Still, it overheated after about an hour.

With normal use it still tends to run hot, but the heat is manageable. When running backups however, the CPU is under heavy use, probably close to 100%.

I'm using Clonezilla to take the backups. I've not found a way to pause the process (which would give it time to cool) or reduce the clock rate. There's no way to hibernate it for a while backups are running.

I suppose I could back it up to a network something (that would slow it down) but I have no idea how to set one up.

I really don't want to have to replace it with another machine; but if I did, I would still need to back up my data.

Perhaps there's another backup tool which would work better? Would backups created by one tool be restorable using another? Or be able to back up part of a partition at a time, say, 10 Gb then stop for a rest?

Short of putting it in a refrigerator to run backups I don't know what to do.

Any ideas?

Caitlin

(I realize this isn't your usual type of question.)

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: CPU overheats while backups are running

#2 Post by Hallvor »

[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by sunrat »

Clonezilla compresses the backup continually as it is running so yes, it will push your cpu to maximum for the duration.
Hallvor's suggestion of cpulimit sounds like just the ticket.

Have you checked if the fan is working in your laptop, or maybe it is full of dust? They do need to be cleaned out sometimes.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Marie SWE

#4 Post by Marie SWE »

I had problem with high cpu temp on my laptop 2018.
Although Clonezilla is your big problem, but the system's idle temperature also plays a major role
Try if you can get your computer to go cooler with xfce and that way get a better starting point..

With Mate, Cinnamon, Kde my laptop cpu temp had 61C... and with xfce only 43C
so with xfce, I got a better base margin :)
My thread over at linuxmint https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=275132

But as previous mentioned.. dust is a common problem on laptops.. as well as cpu cooling paste can become old and bad
But test Xfce :)
Why make things complicated in life, if you can make it easier for yourself... Do it. ;o)
You only have one life, so make the most of it and enjoy it while you can.

eor2004

#5 Post by eor2004 »

@OP: Hi, a couple of suggestions, check the thermal grease of your CPU & check that your CPU fan is working & free of dust, if you can check these out then IMHO it's a software problem not a hardware one, good luck!
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.

Bulkley

#6 Post by Bulkley »

eor2004 wrote: 2021-08-05 18:03 @OP: . . . check the thermal grease of your CPU & check that your CPU fan is working & free of dust, . . .
+ 1