Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Display brightness on MacBook 5,1 (late 2009), NVIDIA GeForce 9400M (nvidia-legacy-340xx)

Need help with peripherals or devices?
iron-moth

Display brightness on MacBook 5,1 (late 2009), NVIDIA GeForce 9400M (nvidia-legacy-340xx)

#1 Post by iron-moth »

Just to preface this post, I'm not a complete noob but still have to scratch my head quite often when reading verbal instructions without the corresponding terminal commands...

So, I'm having a problem with adjusting the display brightness on this set-up.

After running nvidia-detect and installing the nvidia-legacy-340xx-driver as per the Debian wiki entry, everything seems to be working fine apart from the brightness keys on my MacBook. They worked well under nouveau, though.

I have already tried many suggested solutions, such as editing the GRUB entry (acpi_osi, acpi_backlight, and some others), after googling the issue, but unfortunately none of them worked... Also, my /sys/class/backlight/ is empty.

As a workaround I did manage to make xbacklight work by adding Option "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControll=1" to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf. But now I have to adjust the brightness from terminal. Would really like to find a solution for this issue, not just a workaround.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

PS The reason I insist on using the legacy NVIDIA driver instead of nouveau, where the brightness keys do work, is that nouveau is using too much CPU on every little task for some reason which then leads to a lot of fan noise. Plus, without the NVIDIA driver there is lot of flickering on the second monitor.
ironMoth

arzgi

Re: Display brightness on MacBook 5,1 (late 2009), NVIDIA GeForce 9400M (nvidia-legacy-340xx)

#2 Post by arzgi »

You can bind any command you can use in terminal to any key. Since you said you are not 'noob' let it be a homework :mrgreen:

My experience of nouveau, it performs on lower resources than nvidia, not using MacBook though.

iron-moth

Re: Display brightness on MacBook 5,1 (late 2009), NVIDIA GeForce 9400M (nvidia-legacy-340xx)

#3 Post by iron-moth »

I guess I will have to resort to key bindings, but that would mean using xbacklight.

I was hoping to find an actual fix to this.
ironMoth

arzgi

#4 Post by arzgi »

xev for keycodes

https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/bind-comm ... -examples/ one example

i've used xbacklight, but just for backlight.

So you are noob anyway! :o