Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Surround Sound over Optical (S/PIDF)

Need help with peripherals or devices?
frazatto

Surround Sound over Optical (S/PIDF)

#1 Post by frazatto »

Hello o/

This have been a really annoying issue!!!
I built a media server with an old computer I had laying around and I'm trying to make it work with my TV receiver.
HDMI from the video card should had work, but ATI (Radeon 5750) never implemented their drivers properly for Linux and I can only make Surround Sound work on VLC using Pavucontrol and enabling passthrough.

So now I'm trying to work with a motherboard that comes with Optical S/PIDF on-board and it's just as impossible to make this damn thing to work either.
Yes yes, I did my homework, already tried to contact the only other thread I found here about this subject, but no answer.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=141459&p=740626#p740626

I think I almost made it work tough!!!

This thread on Ubunto helped:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/483555/ ... untu-14-04

The last comment in particular, but module-switch-on-connect is not on the list in Debian 10 (or 11) and I end up with crackling sound on all speakers and all videos have a hard time loading, lagging a lot.
I can see the receiver recognizing 5.1 input, so I believe something changed between that comment and today that reversed the solution.

Anyone have ANY idea what I could try next???

greg9

Re: Surround Sound over Optical (S/PIDF)

#2 Post by greg9 »

but no answer.
so you can not see my answer the day before at the link you mentioned?

frazatto

#3 Post by frazatto »

Greg, I was resurrecting an old thread with zero expectations of anyone still being around to reply, I waited almost a week before creating this new one and your answer was almost a month after my original post.

Don't you think this kind of issue would be better resolved as private messages?

greg9

#4 Post by greg9 »

no I do not.

If your issue is something that can be resolved, whether by me or someone else, we need internet search engines with people with the same hardware or same situation see what was tried, what failed and maybe what succeeded.

So as you are not the original poster, it is courteous that if you would like my help or others we stay on this thread now please.

I will repeat....run alsamixer -c0 (or -c1.....-c<number> until your find alsamixer showing S/PDIF
try toggle it off then on
if its off toggle it on
and report what happened, meaning can you hear sound.

If no sound, then we may need to swap your sound index but I will not know what your index is until you tell me
you can see spdif for card zero or card 1 etc.....which translates as index=0 or index=1 and so forth.

The reason I mentioned this toggle trick....is a long time, I did have a motherboard with optical out.
I had some kind of adapter that went into my tv. And I had to do this toggle trick.

You may have more than one control for SPDIF. Use your kb arrow keys to navigate to each plse
Press m key to mute or unmute....that is what I mean by toggle

good luck