Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Logitech mouse sporadically freezes

Need help with peripherals or devices?
wim4rk

Logitech mouse sporadically freezes

#1 Post by wim4rk »

My mouse, a Logitech MX Master 2s, unexpectedly freezes. It's been like this since I switched from Ubuntu to Debian 10 early this summer.

When I boot up, the mouse is always working. When it fails, the OS still tells me the mouse is connected. If I disable BlueTooth and then restarts it (using the panel in the OS) it works again.

The failures comes sporadic, sometimes the mouse works for an hour, sometimes just a couple of minutes. It's never failed while I actually use it - move it.

I'm currently running Debian, it worked great on Ubuntu before (same hardware), and functions flawlessly on a current windows computer (different hardware).

I've looked at power saving for Bluetooth, but the sporadic time periods suggest something else is wrong. I've tried setting `IdleTimeout=0` but that hasn't made a difference.

Code: Select all

olov@helm:~$ cat /etc/bluetooth/input.conf 
# Configuration file for the input service

# This section contains options which are not specific to any
# particular interface
[General]

# Abreviated...
#IdleTimeout=30

#Abreviated...
UserspaceHID=true

# Abreviated...
#ClassicBondedOnly=true

# Abreviated...
#LEAutoSecurity=true
Any ideas?

Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
Kernel: Linux 4.19.0-17-amd64

Dai_trying

Re: Logitech mouse sporadically freezes

#2 Post by Dai_trying »

Sometimes a (cordless) mouse will have it's own in-built power-saving feature and can "switch off" by itself to save power, this is usually overcome by simply clicking the mouse button and wait a few seconds for it to become responsive again. This might not be your problem but it might be worth checking to rule out before changing config files, this happens with a friends mouse and he queried me about it and other than this solution I couldn't find a way to prevent this built-in power-saving mode (but I didn't look too hard once I realised what was causing it).

wim4rk

#3 Post by wim4rk »

Thanks Dai,

I've been trying things out with regards to power-saving. It certainly isn't the mouse, since it has friezed up on me within seconds of using it. Also, it works well on other computers.
Maybe I could do something about the bluetooth settings inside Debian? Do they switch to power-saving mode at any time?

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by Aki »

Hello,
You could copy and search system logs to search for clues when mouse freezes.
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

wim4rk

#5 Post by wim4rk »

Thanks,

I'm sorry, but I don't understand. What logs would you say are relevant?

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by Aki »

Hi,

I’m talking about system logs. If your issue depends on something related to the operating system, some messages could be in the system log (for example [1]).

[1] https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi ... em_message

EDIT: for example, when mouse freezes, you can copy system logs with the following command given as root user:

journalctl --no-pager > log.txt
Logs will be in the log.txt file.
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

karel94

#7 Post by karel94 »

Hello!
Could this be somehow related to my porblem with input lags from my wireless keyboard-mouse-combo from Logitech:

https://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=150468 ?

For me one user does not have that problem, while the other one has it. Both are configured identical to the best of my knowledge. And journalctl -f does not show any differences between both users. The messages I initially suspected to be a hint to the problem also occur in the log od the other user without the problem.

I haven't found any solution yet. What about you?

Karel