Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

monitor not waking up with bullseye

Need help with peripherals or devices?
fez

monitor not waking up with bullseye

#1 Post by fez »

Hello.

I have a monitor connected via displayport to a pc with Debian 11. The pc is set to never sleep (including gdm3 settings when user is logged out) because I also use it as a server; instead I just turn off the monitor. If I log out and leave the pc unattended for some time with the monitor turned off, when I turn the monitor back on I get a blank screen. If I press a key or move the mouse, then the monitor starts waking up (osd shows signal from displayport) but then turns off again saying no signal. Then my only options are to hold the power button until the pc shuts down and restart it, or log in via ssh and reboot.

The monitor used to wake up fine with another pc with Debian 10. After upgrading to Debian 11 is when the issue started on the old pc. I had to replace that pc anyways, but I get the same issue on the new one as described above with a fresh install of Debian 11.

Not sure exactly what I should be looking for, so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

reinob

Re: monitor not waking up with bullseye

#2 Post by reinob »

I have a similar issue, but from what I can tell it's not really OS-dependent..

When my computer resumes from sleep/suspend, sometimes the monitor (connected with DP) won't wake up (or wakes up and goes to sleep again..)

When that happens, I use a keyboard shortcut (Win-Pause in my case), which runs a script, which uses "xset dpms force off" and "xset dpms force on" to turn off and on the monitor, which usually does the trick.

I blame it on the monitor itself (Viewsonic VX3211-2K-MHD)..

fez

#3 Post by fez »

Thank you for the quick reply. The script would probably help but how do I associate the keyboard shortcut to run the script? and does this work if my user is not logged in?

I cannot blame the issue on my monitor alone considering that the issue was not there with Debian 10. For reference, I have an LG 32UL500 and the pc is a NUC10 i7 (old pc was NUC5 i3).

reinob

#4 Post by reinob »

I use openbox and have this keybind in my config:

Code: Select all

<keybind key="W-Pause">
      <action name="Execute">
        <command>/usr/local/bin/on_wakeup.sh</command>
      </action>
    </keybind>

The above script does:

#!/bin/sh

if [ -z "$DISPLAY" ]; then
	DISPLAY=":0"
fi

xset -display $DISPLAY dpms force off
sleep 1
xset -display $DISPLAY dpms force on
This works obviously only when logged on, but in my case when the computer wakes up I just have to enter the password and hit ENTER (I use slock), so I can do this bindly, including the Win-Pause in case I notice the monitor is not responding.

I'm afraid though that our problems may not be that related.. :), unless something in the kernel's handling of DisplayPort is buggy. I have debian bullseye, but keep my own kernel updated (currently 5.13.13).

I don't remember when I had the issue last (I've been away on holidays for a few weeks, and since I came back it hasn't happened..). I'll keep an eye on it, but I don't think my kernel (5.13) will be much different to debian's (5.10) in this respect...

mm3100

#5 Post by mm3100 »

You can create script in /usr/lib/systemd/system-sleep, that would run automatically on wakeup.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Power_ ... stem-sleep

Example of tlp

#!/bin/sh

# tlp - systemd suspend/resume hook
#
# Copyright (c) 2020 Thomas Koch <linrunner at gmx.net> and others.
# This software is licensed under the GPL v2 or later.

case $1 in
    pre)  tlp suspend ;;
    post) tlp resume  ;;
esac
So you could just make additional script with those commands and name them under post).

fez

#6 Post by fez »

mm3100 wrote: 2021-08-31 15:06 You can create script in /usr/lib/systemd/system-sleep, that would run automatically on wakeup.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Power_ ... stem-sleep
Would this work considering my computer is set to never sleep?

mm3100

#7 Post by mm3100 »

Sadly not in that case, I didn't read your first post carefully, so my comment doesn't help your case.

fez

#8 Post by fez »

A little update: I tried using and hdmi cable, instead of a thunderbolt to displayport cable. It seems the monitor wakes up with this setup (though I would need to check a couple more times to be sure). Bonus: with hdmi I can get audio out of my monitor speakers, which I couldn't with thunderbolt to displayport.