Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to choose a good computer for Debian

Need help with peripherals or devices?
interlagos69

How to choose a good computer for Debian

#1 Post by interlagos69 »

Hi,
I wonder how to choose the right computer (old or new) to be sure it fits well with Debian ?
What do I have to see first ?
Thanks for your help :-)
Charles.

arzgi

Re: How to choose a good computer for Debian

#2 Post by arzgi »

If you buy a very new computer, it might be Debian will not support all devices. The Bullsey was just released, so situation is a bit better. Good to read the relase-notes https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/releasenotes

But if you have a choice, I would try on a bit older computer. If you have already bought one, try Debian Live.

Marie SWE

#3 Post by Marie SWE »

My experience is... that the intel chipset with intel cpu and intel graphics is a really safe card.. if the computer is a year or two older than the distro
I have not had a single problem, or even a tiny hiccup with intel together with Debian buster, LMDE3 or Mint18.3.
So Intel and Debian seems to be really good friends. :D

Edit:
My hundredth post in this forum. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Why make things complicated in life, if you can make it easier for yourself... Do it. ;o)
You only have one life, so make the most of it and enjoy it while you can.

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#4 Post by oswaldkelso »

Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by Hallvor »

Here you can see how different computers works with Debian, based on reports from users:
https://linux-hardware.org/?view=computers
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

debian4236

#6 Post by debian4236 »

I would actually avoid pine64 products. They sell them with the intent to run linux on it, but since they don't build/work with the software distributors a lot of their hardware doesn't actually work or has broken components, and it takes a while for distributions to catch up. Furthermore their return policy is abysmal, if they ship you a broken device they'll try to make you pay for to fix their mistake. In my case I was able to do a chargeback and my credit card company sided with me after they tried to challenge it, but it was a huge pain.

Purism librem 14 is a pretty good laptop in my experience, although again, keep in mind this is a small company that doesn't necessarily have the scale to do the same sort of product testing thinkpad does.

Segfault

#7 Post by Segfault »

You should choose the computer keeping in mind its purpose, right now you have the cart before horse. In many cases virtual machines can eliminate the need for buying more hardware altogether.

ibrahim

#8 Post by ibrahim »

Thank you. These are answers I sought