Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

No sound devices available

Need help with peripherals or devices?
ecky

No sound devices available

#1 Post by ecky »

Hello all together,
I recently purchased an Intel NUC10i7FNKN2 to replace my old machine that I used for 11yeras with debian linux ... as you may guess I'm an experienced Linux-user but some installation issues just are to high-level for me.

The problem that I don't get around is some sound issue : As the NUC10i7FNKN2 has no front-plug for sound (jack 3.5) the only way to get to hear something must be the HDMI interface. Unfortunately, even with intel-drivers installed no sound interface shows up, i.e. except the dummy device no sound-output-device is available and I can't figure why and hope that someone here may have an idea ...

Some output of basic diagnostic tools :

Code: Select all

$:/usr/share/alsa/init$ cat /etc/issue
Debian GNU/Linux 11 \n \l

$:/usr/share/alsa/init$ uname -a
Linux debian 5.10.0-8-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.46-4 (2021-08-03) x86_64 GNU/Linux

$:/usr/share/alsa/init$ sudo lspci -s 00:1f.3 -v
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCH-LP cAVS
	Subsystem: Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCH-LP cAVS
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 32, IRQ 164, IOMMU group 11
	Memory at 6023110000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Memory at 6023000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
	Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
	Capabilities: [80] Vendor Specific Information: Len=14 <?>
	Capabilities: [60] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
	Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
	Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel, snd_sof_pci

$:~/Documents/$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
                      HDA Intel PCH at 0x6023110000 irq 164

$:/usr/share/alsa/init$ lsmod | grep snd
snd_hda_codec_hdmi     73728  1
snd_sof_pci            24576  0
snd_sof_intel_byt      24576  1 snd_sof_pci
snd_sof_intel_ipc      20480  1 snd_sof_intel_byt
snd_sof_intel_hda_common   102400  1 snd_sof_pci
snd_sof_xtensa_dsp     16384  2 snd_sof_intel_hda_common,snd_sof_intel_byt
snd_sof               139264  4 snd_sof_pci,snd_sof_intel_hda_common,snd_sof_intel_byt,snd_sof_intel_ipc
snd_sof_intel_hda      20480  1 snd_sof_intel_hda_common
snd_soc_hdac_hda       24576  1 snd_sof_intel_hda_common
snd_hda_ext_core       36864  3 snd_sof_intel_hda_common,snd_soc_hdac_hda,snd_sof_intel_hda
snd_soc_acpi_intel_match    45056  2 snd_sof_pci,snd_sof_intel_hda_common
snd_soc_acpi           16384  3 snd_soc_acpi_intel_match,snd_sof_intel_hda_common,snd_sof_intel_byt
ledtrig_audio          16384  1 snd_sof
snd_hda_intel          57344  0
snd_intel_dspcfg       28672  3 snd_hda_intel,snd_sof_pci,snd_sof_intel_hda_common
soundwire_intel        45056  2 snd_sof_intel_hda_common,snd_intel_dspcfg
snd_soc_core          315392  4 soundwire_intel,snd_sof,snd_sof_intel_hda_common,snd_soc_hdac_hda
snd_compress           32768  1 snd_soc_core
snd_hda_codec         172032  3 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_soc_hdac_hda
snd_hda_core          110592  7 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_ext_core,snd_hda_codec,snd_sof_intel_hda_common,snd_soc_hdac_hda,snd_sof_intel_hda
snd_hwdep              16384  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm               135168  9 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,soundwire_intel,snd_sof,snd_sof_intel_hda_common,snd_compress,snd_soc_core,snd_hda_core
snd_timer              49152  1 snd_pcm
snd                   110592  8 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hwdep,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_timer,snd_compress,snd_soc_core,snd_pcm
soundcore              16384  1 snd

$:/usr/share/alsa/init$ aplay -l
**** Liste des Périphériques Matériels PLAYBACK ****
$:/usr/share/alsa/init$ 
As you can see the output for the last command is an empty list, that means that there is no sound-output-device available, which is coherent with behavior of alsamixer or pulseaudio or the control-panel of the system.

This is the state where I am, I have already installed and/or updated some drivers (that made some error-messages disappear in the dmesg) and applied a bios-update. Still no luck. I tried also to initialize the sound-system by issuing the command

alsactl init
that did not workout either. This command seems to fail finding the adequate configuration and ends up installing some default-mess. I found some astonnishing concordance between machines using the chipset "Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCH-LP cAVS" you can find on https://linux-hardware.org and the configurations for the device you can find in /usr/share/alsa/init/hda. So may be the configuration for the my machine was simply not developped yet ?

Ah and yes, you find the output of the alsa-info here : http://alsa-project.org/db/?f=2f048e4da ... 88e7586408

So, well I'm stuck, any clues anyone ?

Thanks in advance

ecky

bw123

Re: No sound devices available

#2 Post by bw123 »

Same device as in this thread?
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=150164&p=742243
resigned by AI ChatGPT

ecky

#3 Post by ecky »

Thanks for the quick-shot. It has the same name, definitely! must have passed by that one. Unfortunately the procedure described there does not work out. Modified the line in /etc/default/grub to be

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet snd_hda_intel.dmic_detect=0"
and applied changes by invoking /sbin/update-grub followed by a reboot, still no sound output device... dmesg shows that the new parameter is transmitted to the kernel, but seems to have no effect. Maybe the X13 Yoga Gen1 is wired differently from the NUC10i7FNKN2. By the way I'm not sure what this parameter really does, it is supposed to turn off microphone detection to enable detection of sound output device ? Seems not logic to me, however I tried it and it did not work. Thanks for the pointer though.

greg9

#4 Post by greg9 »

But that thread requires you to enable non-free repo and then install the missing fw called
firmware-sof-signed, not do any grub stuff
Reverting settings in grub config to defaults and installing sof firmware package fixed the issue
as per

$ apt info firmware-sof-signed
# (results)
Package: firmware-sof-signed
Version: 1.7-1
Priority: optional
Section: non-free/kernel
Source: firmware-sof
Maintainer: Mark Pearson <markpearson@lenovo.com>
Installed-Size: 10.1 MB
Homepage: https://github.com/thesofproject/sof-bin
Download-Size: 550 kB
APT-Sources: http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/debian bullseye/non-free amd64 Packages
Description: Intel SOF firmware - signed
 Provides the Intel SOF audio firmware and topology needed for audio
 functionality on some Intel system.
 This package contains the pre-built and signed binaries.
Your mirror will likely differ from AU

ecky

#5 Post by ecky »

Hello Greg,
Thanks for your hint, but firmware-sof-signed was installed all the time ... I just tried what was proposed in the initial post of that thread, and reverted it after it showed being useless. So firmware-sof-signed is still installed and boot-parameter has been deleted (and yes, I did update-grub after deleting it). Unfortunately the behavior remains the same : only dummy-device and no sound.

greg9

#6 Post by greg9 »

Fair enough, it was not clear until now what you actually did.

lets look at your alsa-info output and notice it says Product Name: NUC10i7FNK, while your OP has a 2. pulseaudio is running. And you have another id=0x6023110000 (just below the pulse info)

searching for the model or id string I get
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic. ... 4&start=20
scroll down and you will see a match to that id from poster=technician
MrEen then says
The sound card is set for input only. See if this gets it working:
and we agree you have no output.
But we lack the device.bus_path string as per his pulseaudio command so pls post the output to

pacmd list-cards | grep device.bus_path
Your alsa-info claims you have only 1 device so that should give us one hit.

actually your alsa-info has the id but it has truncated it see /dev/snd/by-path result

Leaping ahead
Once you know that string, input into the command instead of the command MrEen used for the other device.

Note you must change xxxxxx to whatever your real output is please

pacmd set-card-profile alsa_card.pci-xxxxxxxx output:analog-stereo+input:analog-stereo
If it works mark as solved please. If not show your pacmd command first and then we know if you have understood. :)

ecky

#7 Post by ecky »

Thanks for your concern Greg, hope our reflection leads somewhere, but the trouble is that the command

pacmd list-cards
results in

0 card(s) available.
as well as

aplay -l
in

**** Liste des Périphériques Matériels PLAYBACK ****
. These lists being empty, no device.bus_path to catch the ID from.

So in spite of the lines

!!Soundcards recognised by ALSA
!!-----------------------------

0 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
                      HDA Intel PCH at 0x6023110000 irq 164

!!PCI Soundcards installed in the system
!!--------------------------------------

00:1f.3 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCH-LP cAVS [8086:02c8]
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCH-LP cAVS [8086:2081]
in the alsa-info it seems that neither alsa nor pulseaudio connect to that card. My guess is that there must be a missing link in the configuration that makes alsa and/or Pulseaudio look in the right direction so that this card gets found connected and listed - I just don't know how to do that ...
Thanks again.
ecky

greg9

#8 Post by greg9 »

ahh lets try to get that info by command? from now on PA=pulseaudio

step one post output - run as local user please

ls -al /dev/snd/by-path
step two now I assume, you have not made changes to PA as alsa-info said it was running in the past.
but post full output in a code box.....and you need to run this as a local user

pulseaudio -vvv
If you see at the bottom of the page, in some terminals in red font
E: [pulseaudio] pid.c: Daemon already running.
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: pa_pid_file_create() failed.
PA is already running so it can not create a new pid file as one already exists

Leaping ahead, and I am no PA expert we re-attempt your pacmd command because with luck you now know your pci ids

but we may observe PA errors which might be able to be researched

#################

Leaping ahead....if we no luck with above, would you consider installing a more recent kernel such as from
https://liquorix.net/
and if you search that name in this forum you will see hits from people smarter than me.
but I am now on it EDIT kernel updated today

uname -r
5.14.0-6.1-liquorix-amd64
it might be, that certain kernels have better support for certain devices. your intel modules come from the kernel.
Last edited by greg9 on 2021-09-19 04:12, edited 1 time in total.

greg9

#9 Post by greg9 »

I forgot to mention hdajackrestask. But now that I am looking at it, for reasons I can not explain, they have not included the exe called hdajacksensetest.

and this command is very useful in providing before and after restasking....in a easy to read format.

eg

root@box:/home/greg# hdajacksensetest 
Pin 0x14 (Red Line Out, Rear side): present = Yes
Pin 0x15 (Black Line Out, Rear side): present = No
Pin 0x16 (Black Line Out, Rear side): present = No
Pin 0x17 (Black Line Out, Rear side): present = No
Pin 0x18 (Black Mic, Rear side): present = No
Pin 0x19 (Pink Mic, Front side): present = No
Pin 0x1a (Black Line In, Rear side): present = No
Pin 0x1b (Green Headphone, Front side): present = No
It is included with some distro, example ....click on the filelist if interested at
https://archlinux.org/packages/communit ... lsa-tools/

Leaping ahead.....if the other options above fail.....and assuming you have only hdmi as either an input or output device and No Other sound input or output holes connector or ports,
it should be safe to attempt to use root powers to retask your pins

EDIT I made a mistake, failed to check repo correctly. hdajackretask is in a diff package to hdajacksensetest.
Last edited by greg9 on 2021-09-19 13:31, edited 1 time in total.

ecky

#10 Post by ecky »

Hello Greg,

I must be a bit stubborn, sorry for that, well, here the output of the different commands you asked for :

$ ls -al /dev/snd/by-path
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  60 18 sept. 12:05 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 140 18 sept. 12:05 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  12 18 sept. 12:05 pci-0000:00:1f.3 -> ../controlC0

$ pulseaudio -vvv
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_NICE, (31, 31)) failed: Opération non permise
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_RTPRIO, (9, 9)) failed: Opération non permise
D: [pulseaudio] core-rtclock.c: Timer slack is set to 50 us.
D: [pulseaudio] core-util.c: RealtimeKit worked.
I: [pulseaudio] core-util.c: Successfully gained nice level -11.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: This is PulseAudio 14.2
D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Compilation CFLAGS: -g -O2 -ffile-prefix-map=/build/pulseaudio-eJtUKc/pulseaudio-14.2=. -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall -W -Wextra -pipe -Wno-long-long -Wno-overlength-strings -Wunsafe-loop-optimizations -Wundef -Wformat=2 -Wlogical-op -Wsign-compare -Wformat-security -Wmissing-include-dirs -Wformat-nonliteral -Wpointer-arith -Winit-self -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wfloat-equal -Wmissing-prototypes -Wredundant-decls -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-noreturn -Wshadow -Wendif-labels -Wcast-align -Wstrict-aliasing -Wwrite-strings -Wno-unused-parameter -fno-common -fdiagnostics-show-option -fdiagnostics-color=auto
D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running on host: Linux x86_64 5.10.0-8-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.46-4 (2021-08-03)
D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Found 12 CPUs.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Page size is 4096 bytes
D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Compiled with Valgrind support: no
D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running in valgrind mode: no
D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running in VM: no
D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running from build tree: no
D: [pulseaudio] main.c: Optimized build: yes
D: [pulseaudio] main.c: FASTPATH defined, only fast path asserts disabled.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Machine ID is a53f1f7198a249b1a0c62d87f08dd0fe.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Using runtime directory /run/user/1000/pulse.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Using state directory /home/ecky/.config/pulse.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Using modules directory /usr/lib/pulse-14.2/modules.
I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running in system mode: no
E: [pulseaudio] pid.c: Daemon already running.
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Échec de pa_pid_file_create().

$ pacmd list-cards
0 card(s) available.

$ pacmd set-card-profile alsa_card.pci-0000_00_1f.3 output:analog-stereo+input:analog-stereo
No card found by this name or index.

$ pacmd set-card-profile alsa_card.pci-0000:00:1f.3 output:analog-stereo+input:analog-stereo
No card found by this name or index.
So still no luck so far.
EDIT I have made a howto which might help you if interested
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=150274&p=742987#p742987
I will wait and see if you are interested in this.
I'm interested in anything that might help me get the audio working, well almost :

I tried

$ hdajacksensetest
No pins found for card 0 codec 0, did you pick the right one?

$ sudo hdajacksensetest
[sudo] Password for ecky : 
No pins found for card 0 codec 0, did you pick the right one?

hdajacksensetest was already installed, do you think I need to compile it as you propose in your tutorial ? It seems that it does not find a real card, just the dummy device which must be a link to some sort of /dev/null as inspires me the output of "ls -al /dev/snd/by-path" which is coherent with the rest of the observations.

I'm not sure if a replacement kernel is the right option for me, the usage I have is essentially to do paper-work ... but sometimes looking at some tutorials with no sound is pretty useless ;-). On the other hand I opted for the Intel NUC because it is small, silent and has low power consumption. The Liquorix-Kernel seems to be specialized for multimedia application and gaming which is achieved by tuning that is quite opposite to my objective of a low power consumption and quietness. I'm not sure if I want to go down that road...

Thanks for your patience and help.
ecky

greg9

#11 Post by greg9 »

Has multiple edits

Yikes. I have editted earlier reply after seeing you already had hdajacksensetest. I failed to check the repo properly. My mistake. tutorial deleted.

umm the fact that you can not see any pins.....means we can eliminate that issue.

lets concentrate on the pci id that we now know you have
pci-0000:00:1f.3
#### Ensure you have no /etc/asoundrc or $HOME.asoundrc or /etc/modprobe.d/ file that affects sound modules in below attempts

in no particular order search reveals others with similar probs
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=341221

but the next one is marked as solved for original poster so gives us a chance for you to try some things
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=262135

You will notice alsa-info for you has no lcpic command so but your PCI Soundcards installed in the system seems to show a diff device.

So you have already tried one solved suggestion for grub line at your post 3.. But do you have the firmware so from last link try

dmesg | grep -E 'sof|snd'
# and an extra one please
dmesg | grep firmware
Leaping ahead if you do nhave the sof fw then install it and reboot and edit your grub line on the kernel line so you append
this is faster than creating a grub config line change which requires an update-grub command.
so at boot menu.....press E to to edit....navigate to your kernel line an append the following strings

snd_hda_intel.dmic_detect=0

Each reboot ....run aplay -l and or test for sound

If that fails then reboot and try

snd-hda-intel probe_mask=1

if that fails try
snd-intel-dspcfg.dsp_driver=1

whichever one gives us a sound device for aplay -l......we can then create using root powers /etc/modprobe.d/sound.conf, contents will start with
options <and we input the grub snd-string>
ful reboot to test sound still works......Yes I am optimistic....silly me
Last edited by greg9 on 2021-09-19 14:26, edited 3 times in total.

greg9

#12 Post by greg9 »

ahh I am not sure if you want to install non-free firmware. You may already have them?

If you do

apt search firmware
I can see potential fw to try in no particular order
firmware-intel-sound, firmware-linux, firmware-linux-free, firmware-linux-nonfree, firmware-misc-nonfree, firmware-sof-signed

intel-microcode is recommended for people with intel CPU and will affect grub line.

finally, I disagree that your reason for not trying a different kernel. A more recent kernel, even tho it might look too fancy for you should not be eliminated.
That is, if you get sound purely by using a more recent kernel....you can always recompile it to make it lighter. Does that make sense?
And to attempt to make that clearer.....kernel modules for older kernels may offer limit modules while newer ones may offer enhanced modules or extra intel modules

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Post by sunrat »

greg9 wrote: 2021-09-19 14:09finally, I disagree that your reason for not trying a different kernel. A more recent kernel, even tho it might look too fancy for you should not be eliminated.
That is, if you get sound purely by using a more recent kernel....you can always recompile it to make it lighter. Does that make sense?
And to attempt to make that clearer.....kernel modules for older kernels may offer limit modules while newer ones may offer enhanced modules or extra intel modules
A newer kernel may have more recent modules but OP's reason for not using Liquorix is valid as it defaults to performance governor. They also said
firmware-sof-signed is installed already. firmware-intel-sound is not for this hardware. intel-microcode should be installed.
Kindly pay more attention to previous posts before writing answers please.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

ecky

#14 Post by ecky »

Hello again,
Well, never mind, I was just up to say that I exposed in previous posts that grub parameter disabling microphone did not work and that sof-firmware is installed as well as the other firmware-modules mentioned.
But maybe I found a hint using a command pointed out on one of the threads greg mentioned :

$ journalctl -p err
sept. 18 12:05:20 * pipewire[1210]: Failed to receive portal pid: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Could not get PID of name 'org.freedesktop.portal.Desktop': no such name
sept. 18 12:05:20 * pulseaudio[1211]: Failed to find a working profile.
sept. 18 12:05:20 * pulseaudio[1211]: Failed to load module "module-alsa-card" (argument: "device_id="0" name="pci-0000_00_1f.3" card_name="alsa_card.pci-0000_00_1f.3" namereg_fail=false tsched=yes fixed_latency_range=no ignore_dB=no deferred_volume=yes use_ucm=yes avoid_resampling=no card_properties="module-udev-detect.discovered=1""): initialization failed.
sept. 18 12:05:20 * pulseaudio[1211]: Failed to find a working profile.
sept. 18 12:05:20 * pulseaudio[1211]: Failed to load module "module-alsa-card" (argument: "device_id="0" name="pci-0000_00_1f.3" card_name="alsa_card.pci-0000_00_1f.3" namereg_fail=false tsched=yes fixed_latency_range=no ignore_dB=no deferred_volume=yes use_ucm=yes avoid_resampling=no card_properties="module-udev-detect.discovered=1""): initialization failed.
sept. 18 12:05:21 * systemd[1190]: Failed to start Application launched by gnome-session-binary.
sept. 18 12:05:36 * pulseaudio[1211]: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.TimedOut: Failed to activate service 'org.bluez': timed out (service_start_timeout=25000ms)
As I see it there must be a missing configuration "failed to find a working profile" and it seems obvious to me that a module that tries to use /dev/null (that's what the device-id "pci-0000_00_1f.3" is pointing to) as a sound-card must fail. So the conclusion for me is, that either something went wrong during installation or the hardware is not correctly supported by the firmware-intel-sound, intel-microcode, firmware-sof-signed ... modules - or both. In the end I just wonder if I may be able to get it over with by

- crafting a configuration by hand - but how, who might know this (looking at the /usr/share/alsa/init/hda file inspires me that the list is just incomplete as there are only configurations for "Acer Travelmate 8100" and "Lenovo T61" would it be sufficient to introduce another section for Intel NUC ? how to assure that that section will get triggered, could that be possible ?),

- start the installation process all over again in the hope that this time all the modules that were missing during the first installation and that I added successively are at hand right from the start will avoid the mess that I'm in now ...

- just wait and see doing regular updates ... :-/

Well, what do you think ?

Thanks to you folks
ecky

greg9

#15 Post by greg9 »

I am none the wiser if you tried the edits of boot menu stage to try various sound modules setups.

@sunrat
I will repeat and make it blinking obvious.....a newer kernel may have the sound module the Original poster may need. OP can then recompile the kernel once he knows that he has sound.......so he can choose a more power efficient config.

You have got me on firmware-sof-signed as mentioned in post 5 so I will cop that rebuke

corbelr

#16 Post by corbelr »

Hi All,

I spent the last three weeks trying to find a solution. I finally found a way to make the Intel Comet Lake PCH-LP cAVS sound card run correctly.

The context
---------------
- The pc is a laptop hp 15-da2025nf, booting a Linux From Scratch 11.3 running a System V stock kernel Linux 6.1.11 from a UEFI bootable USB stick.
- The window manager is Fluxbox 1.3.5 running above Lightdm display manager.
- Everything works fine (including video) except sound.

The solution
----------------
1. Make a backup of the <linux source tree>/.config
2. In the Linux source tree, issue the command 'make mrproper' and issue the command 'cp ../config-backup-file .config'
3. In the Linux source tree, launch 'make menuconfig' and go to Device Drivers/Generic Driver Options/Firmware loader and make sure the entry '() Build named firmware blobs into the kernel binary' is empty.
4. Save the configuration and exit 'make menuconfig'. You now should be in the <linux source tree> directory.

5. Now, edit .config and find the line "CONFIG_SND_HDA_INTEL"; change the line so that it becomes "CONFIG_SND_HDA_INTEL=m". Save the .config file.

6. If you trust the other settings in the .config file, issue the command 'make -jN' where N is the number of cores hosted by the CPU.
7. Install the new modules and kernel with 'sudo make modules_install', 'sudo .config /boot/config-<kernel version>', 'sudo cp System.map /boot/System.map-<kernel version' and 'sudo cp arch/x86/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-<kernel version' (check the symlinks in /boot).
8. If you built the initrd file, copy it to the /boot directory as well.

9. Find the way to load the snd_hda_intel module at boot. On a System V Linux From Scratch 11.3, you'd have to add the line 'snd_hda_intel' at the end of /etc/sysconfig/modules. Your mileage may vary.

10. Reboot the system. The pc internal speaker should work correctly. Unfortunately, plugin an audio helmet to the pc does not work : the sound still goes through the pc internal speakers.

RC

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#17 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Bullseye is two years old now. There has been a lot of work since then, not only on sound drivers but also topology and firmware. Rather than struggle to update Bullseye, why not try a live image of Bookworm? If sound works, either upgrade now, or for the more cautious, wait for the release later this year.

viewtopic.php?p=771100#p771100