Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Adding new RAM stick might be causing computer to crash. what can I do?

Need help with peripherals or devices?
kau-92

Adding new RAM stick might be causing computer to crash. what can I do?

#1 Post by kau-92 »

Hello,

My laptop has one 4-gb RAM memory stick. I've bought another second hand 4-gb memory stick of identical model.
Last time I added the new memory onto the computer, the laptop would unexpectedly crash from time to time.
In the end I removed the new ram stick and the crashes reduced and now I don't have any crashes at all. So I wonder
if it is the memory stick that did it.

I posted in forums here before and one person said it might be to do with 'timings'. But there is no option to configure
such a setting in the bios of my laptop.

I'd like to use the extra memory if I can. I'm posting to ask If there is any additional thing I can do to avoid the crashes.

Thanks,-

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Adding new RAM stick might be causing computer to crash. what can I do?

#2 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

First test the memory. Memory sticks can go bad. I have used Memtest86 to find bad memory sticks. There are many tutorials on how to use it.

http://dontsurfinthenude.blogspot.com/2 ... t.html?m=1

kau-92

Re: Adding new RAM stick might be causing computer to crash. what can I do?

#3 Post by kau-92 »

thanks, I just realised that other RAM stick is in a luggage of mine elsewhere. I'll check it when I find it.