Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

I'm thinking of installing the Nvidia driver on Bullseye for a GT610 : what should I beware ?

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Aarick

I'm thinking of installing the Nvidia driver on Bullseye for a GT610 : what should I beware ?

#1 Post by Aarick »

Two previous atempts were failures. A few weeks later, I'm thinking of trying anew.

The Debian Wiki seems straightforward. I checked several times, and again, my GeForce GT 610 (aka GF119) is indeed listed here.

I am, however, somewhat puzzled by the sentense

> … if means to disable the integrated graphics in hardware are not available.

in which some words may have fallen off, and also by

>DKMS will build the nvidia module for your system, via the nvidia-legacy-390xx-kernel-dkms package.

I would normaly not care that much, but given the previous failures I'm trying to be as thorough as I can be. So, I tried and searched and looked up and queried for the `nvidia-legacy-390xx-kernel-dkms` package. The repository points to `nvidia.com`, which does not seem to know much about that. The rest of the internet is equally terse, so I wonder : is this package *real*, I mean, maintained, understood, tested … ?

It might be relevant to specify the following :

− the desktop environment is XFCE4
− the display manager is LightDM

and maybe also

Code: Select all

user@machine:~$ lspci
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF119 [GeForce GT 610] (rev a1)
-^------------------
seeing how every example I saw was like

01:00.0
-^--------
lshw also says

bus info: 	pci@0000:02:00.0
--------------------------^-----
I would suspect that this might play a role for the resulting xorg.conf in

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce GT 610"
    BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
------------------------^----
    Screen          0
EndSection
but I am far out of my depth here.

The same rig worked fine under Ubuntu until I switched to plain Debian a couple of months ago. The only reason why I would like to get this driver working is that EU4 is quite sluggish without it, sluggish as in "litterally unplayable" (no, really ;-).

So, to sum up this novella : the procedure in the wiki doesn't work, what should I so now ?

kedaha

Re: I'm thinking of installing the Nvidia driver on Bullseye for a GT610 : what should I beware ?

#2 Post by kedaha »

Hi,
I don't see why the procedure given in wiki shouldn't work because that card is definitely supported.
If in doubt, confirm by running:

# apt install nvidia-detect
# nvidia-detect
Configuration may be necessary for legacy.
The easiest way to do that is:

# apt install nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig
# reboot
DebianStable

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: I'm thinking of installing the Nvidia driver on Bullseye for a GT610 : what should I beware ?

#3 Post by sunrat »

Did the driver fail to install or just fail to run after installation? I think the package to install is the metapackage nvidia-legacy-390xx-driver
It's always best to copy/paste the exact errors. In code tags.
Show us the output from

apt install --reinstall nvidia-legacy-390xx-driver
If you computer is a laptop with Optimus dual graphics, you may need to do an extra step to have programs running with Nvidia driver rather than the integrated one. https://wiki.debian.org/NVIDIA%20Optimus
The best way may be to use PRIME Render Offload.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

The wiki gives clear steps, but many people skip some, such as enabling the nonfree and contrib repo sections, and making sure you have the proper kernel headers and compilers installed, which are not on your system by default. Most people also are running 64-bit systems now, yet many games are still 32-bit, which means you'll also need to enable i386 multiarch and install the 32-bit proprietary Nvidia GLX libraries also.

But without knowing what steps you've tried already and what type of system you have....? <shrug>
MX Linux packager and developer

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by sunrat »

stevepusser wrote: 2021-10-20 23:33But without knowing what steps you've tried already and what type of system you have....? <shrug>
I wish we had a bot which could detect questions where vital information has been omitted. I reckon about half the posts in the forum come under that category. Makes it impossible to diagnose problems, and takes time to ask for said vital info and wait for it to be posted.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!