Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

External DVD/CD player, which?

Need help with peripherals or devices?
gychang

External DVD/CD player, which?

#1 Post by gychang »

I need to rip audio CD and also clone a disc occasionally. I had to return 2 different Amazon players since would not work reliably despite "compatible with linux". Anyone have a recommendation of a make / model?

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: External DVD/CD player, which?

#2 Post by Hallvor »

I have one of these. A few years old, but it works great.

https://www.storagereview.com/review/sa ... ive-review
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

gychang

#3 Post by gychang »

Hallvor wrote: 2021-10-27 14:38 I have one of these. A few years old, but it works great.

https://www.storagereview.com/review/sa ... ive-review
not in US amazon...

seeker5528

#4 Post by seeker5528 »

If you are talking reliability with encrypted DVDs specifically there is this situation....

https://www.videolan.org/support/faq.html#DVDS

If they were different drives, but same brand, could be the maker of that brand doing things in a poor quality way.

In more general terms of reliability, if you have had an issue with two different drives of different brands, I would be starting to wonder what else might be going on.

Could be power management issue. Could be an individual port that is worn. USB ports have a tendency to work in pairs, so could be an issue that affects a pair of ports but not other pairs or the combination of things that are plugged into a pair of ports that lead to the issue.

The drive I have has a primary data/power connector and off of the primary an additional connector to plug into a second USB port if a single port doesn't provide enough power, I have not had an issue getting enough power from a single USB port, but the fact that the drive maker was willing to spend the money providing a cable that had that extra connector indicates some significant level of concern about that being a possible issue.

If you are connecting it through a dock or a hub, that could be an issue.

gychang

#5 Post by gychang »

seeker5528 wrote: 2021-10-28 19:17
Could be power management issue. Could be an individual port that is worn. USB ports have a tendency to work in pairs, so could be an issue that affects a pair of ports but not other pairs or the combination of things that are plugged into a pair of ports that lead to the issue.

The drive I have has a primary data/power connector and off of the primary an additional connector to plug into a second USB port if a single port doesn't provide enough power, I have not had an issue getting enough power from a single USB port, but the fact that the drive maker was willing to spend the money providing a cable that had that extra connector indicates some significant level of concern about that being a possible issue.

If you are connecting it through a dock or a hub, that could be an issue.
thanks for the input, will have to check this out.