Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

No Realtek Wi-fi avail. for Bullseye yet?

Need help with peripherals or devices?
khelben1979

No Realtek Wi-fi avail. for Bullseye yet?

#1 Post by khelben1979 »

Hello!

I have this laptop
HP ENVY x360 15-ee0013no AMD™ Ryzen 7
and I know the wi-fi drivers exist in Debian SID currently, and I'm wondering when and if they will backport this driver to Debian Bullseye? It's using a Realtek chipset.

I'm currently using an adapter to get Internet access by Ethernet, but I would like to get wi-fi working this year, if possible? I've read on several places, but I have not found anything that says that it's being worked on.
HP ENVY x360 15-ee0013no

kedaha

Re: No Realtek Wi-fi avail. for Bullseye yet?

#2 Post by kedaha »

Hi,
A link to the wifi driver in sid would be helpful and/or identify the device.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

khelben1979

#3 Post by khelben1979 »

I have a Realtek device 8852.

I have found out that I need the rtw89 driver and there's a discussion at askubuntu.com which gives a solution to it, but it's not supported by Debian right now, so I'm not sure about it. This is their solution:
cd /lib/firmware && sudo mkdir rtw89 && sudo wget https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke ... 52a_fw.bin
Taken from source:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1344184 ... untu-20-04
HP ENVY x360 15-ee0013no

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

We's got anudder drinkin' game here whut we gotta down anudda sshot evry time a user confuzes firmwheres wit driverzz....

Any, almost all open sourced drivers make it into the kernel sooner or later. Almost all of those still require non-free firmware files, which are free as in cost, but still mysterious binary blobs provided by the hardware manufacturer. Debian provides those in many different packages, such as "firmware-realtek", but Ubuntu gloms them all together as one massive file, "linux-firmware".

Anyway, those Ubuntu instructions just get the firmware file from the kernel source repo. It's no good without a driver in the kernel that recognizes your device.

BUT...if you check the non-free firmware-realtek page for Bullseye, we can see that it already has that file (last one on the list). https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/firmware-realtek

Perhaps you just need to download and install that deb package from that link. There are also newer kernels in bullseye-backports...https://packages.debian.org/bullseye-ba ... mage-amd64
MX Linux packager and developer

khelben1979

#5 Post by khelben1979 »

No, I already have the Realtek firmware installed, however as I wrote before, I need a newer version and that has not been provided by Debian Bullseye yet. I'm aware of the situation with newer kernels and drivers, but considering Debian is always very careful with newer kernels getting replaced once it's reached stable status, only minor upgrades of the kernel such as security fixes and some other things that also might follow, would be to expect.

Replacing the whole kernel from Debian backports does not seem wise, but if it works, it's an interesting idea! I'll rather buy a usb wi-fi adapter than ending up with a kernel that is not tested with the software that is provided by Bullseye. I could expect software glitches or crashes as a result, but I thank you for the advice!
HP ENVY x360 15-ee0013no

ticojohn

#6 Post by ticojohn »

khelben1979 wrote: 2021-10-28 23:10 Replacing the whole kernel from Debian backports does not seem wise, but if it works, it's an interesting idea! I'll rather buy a usb wi-fi adapter than ending up with a kernel that is not tested with the software that is provided by Bullseye. I could expect software glitches or crashes as a result, but I thank you for the advice!
I know this doesn't solve your problem but I think getting a usb wifi adapter, and waiting for the driver you need, is the safest solution (others may disagree). I don't know what internet speed you need but there are a lot of inexpensive adapters that are good to 150mb. I occasionally use a TP Link model TL WM725N (good to 150mb) and it was recognized out of the box. No configuration required. And if you shop around you can probably find an adapter that can do 300mb. Just my opinion of course.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

khelben1979

[SOLVED] Re: No Realtek Wi-fi avail. for Bullseye yet?

#7 Post by khelben1979 »

Thanks for your response ticojohn! I was looking at some adapters recently, and if I can get a stable 100Mbit connection that would be very nice indeed! Upgrading to Debian Bookworm later on should make the adapter obsolete, but that could be another 2 to 3 years from now until it reaches a fully stable release. The one from TP looks interesting, since they're very open source friendly, which is a plus also!

Update: I just ordered the one you recommended!
Last edited by khelben1979 on 2021-10-29 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
HP ENVY x360 15-ee0013no

ticojohn

#8 Post by ticojohn »

khelben1979 wrote: 2021-10-29 20:31 Thanks for your response ticojohn! I was looking at some adapters recently, and if I can get a stable 100Mbit connection that would be very nice indeed! Upgrading to Debian Bookworm later on should make the adapter obsolete, but that could be another 2 to 3 years from now until it reaches a fully stable release. The one from TP looks interesting, since they're very open source friendly, which is a plus also!
Just to update my previous response. The TP Link WN725N that I use is also referred to as the N Nano. It is really small and I needed a USB extender. But it works great. The most important thing with the adapter is to look at is which chip set is being used. The version I have uses the Realtek RTL8188EUS chip set which is supported. I think that some TP adapters might not use the Realtek chip set so they might not work.

Here is a link to a list of known USB Wifi chip sets supported by Debian
https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi#USB_Devices
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

acheka

#9 Post by acheka »

Hi khelben, i recently install a bullseye in a Thinkpad T14 with AMD 7 pro and can't solve wifi drivers, do you find a solution (beside the wifi adapter)?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Post by sunrat »

acheka wrote: 2022-07-19 23:43 Hi khelben, i recently install a bullseye in a Thinkpad T14 with AMD 7 pro and can't solve wifi drivers, do you find a solution (beside the wifi adapter)?
Post details of your wifi device. Just because you have a T14 doesn't mean it's the same as OP.

lspci -k |grep -A3 -i wireless
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

acheka

#11 Post by acheka »

sunrat wrote: 2022-07-20 00:21
acheka wrote: 2022-07-19 23:43 Hi khelben, i recently install a bullseye in a Thinkpad T14 with AMD 7 pro and can't solve wifi drivers, do you find a solution (beside the wifi adapter)?
Post details of your wifi device. Just because you have a T14 doesn't mean it's the same as OP.

lspci -k |grep -A3 -i wireless
Hi Sunrat!
i run the command and shows me nothing:
root@debian:~# lspci -k |grep -A3 -i wireless
root@debian:~#

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#12 Post by 4D696B65 »

try

lspci -k |grep -A3 -i network

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Post by sunrat »

4D696B65 wrote: 2022-07-20 01:39 try

lspci -k |grep -A3 -i network
Possibly, worth a try. "wireless" returns the expected device details on my ThinkPad.

Some laptops actually connect their wifi device through an internal USB bus. May be worth checking lsusb.

Also you don't need to run that lspci command as root.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

acheka

#14 Post by acheka »

Thanks both!
This is the output:

juan@debian:~$ lspci -k |grep -A3 -i network
03:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 8852
Subsystem: Lenovo Device 4852
Kernel modules: wl
04:00.0 SD Host controller: Genesys Logic, Inc GL9750 SD Host Controller (rev 01)

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#15 Post by 4D696B65 »

Head_on_a_Stick

#16 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

acheka wrote: 2022-07-19 23:43 Thinkpad T14 with AMD 7 pro
I have one of those :-) EDIT: no, wait, mine is a P14s. Same same though.

The RTL8852AE card needs the rtw89 driver, which was mainlined for kernel 5.16 so try the linux-image-amd64 package from bullseye-backports (along with the backported firmware).

https://backports.debian.org/Instructions/
deadbang

acheka

#17 Post by acheka »

4D696B65 wrote: 2022-07-20 05:12 Is firmware-realtek installed?
https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/firmware-realtek
Yes, it is but when installed shows me this output:

$ sudo dpkg -i firmware-realtek_20210315-3_all.deb
(Reading database ... 138142 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack firmware-realtek_20210315-3_all.deb ...
Unpacking firmware-realtek (20210315-3) over (20210315-3) ...
Setting up firmware-realtek (20210315-3) ...
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.140) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.10.0-16-amd64
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_gpu_info.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navy_flounder_ta.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navy_flounder_sos.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_ta.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_asd.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_sos.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_rlc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_mec2.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_mec.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navy_flounder_rlc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navy_flounder_mec2.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navy_flounder_mec.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navy_flounder_me.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navy_flounder_pfp.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navy_flounder_ce.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_sdma.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navy_flounder_sdma.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_mes.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi10_mes.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navy_flounder_vcn.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_vcn.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navy_flounder_smc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_smc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navy_flounder_dmcub.bin for module amdgpu

One of the many things i read said this is not critical missings. But i don't really know.

At the time of installation it asked me for the driver rtl_nic/rtl8168h-2.fw, i supplied with a usb but it doesn't recognized it and its added in this .deb.
Last edited by acheka on 2022-07-20 13:58, edited 1 time in total.

acheka

#18 Post by acheka »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: 2022-07-20 05:44
acheka wrote: 2022-07-19 23:43 Thinkpad T14 with AMD 7 pro
I have one of those :-) EDIT: no, wait, mine is a P14s. Same same though.

The RTL8852AE card needs the rtw89 driver, which was mainlined for kernel 5.16 so try the linux-image-amd64 package from bullseye-backports (along with the backported firmware).

https://backports.debian.org/Instructions/
This is a T14 AMD 7 pro 5850U with radeon graphics, at the time o bought it there was a P14s with exactly same components (UCP, RAM, M.2) but much more expensive.

I read something about backports and i am not secure about it, it is safe? require more maintenance?
If this is my only choice i will take it.

Head_on_a_Stick

#19 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

acheka wrote: 2022-07-20 13:47This is a T14 AMD 7 pro 5850U with radeon graphics

$ awk -F': ' '/model name/{print $2;exit}' /proc/cpuinfo 
AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 5850U with Radeon Graphics
$
Snap!
acheka wrote: 2022-07-20 13:47it is safe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzw1_2b-I7A

But seriously, updates for the backported kernel are delayed by a few weeks because backports can only be drawn from testing and that has a mandatory transition delay from sid. This can leave the user exposed to vulnerabilites for longer than would be the case for the stable kernel.
acheka wrote: 2022-07-20 13:47require more maintenance?
No. As long as the metapackage is installed and the backports repository is left enabled then the kernel will be updated as part of the usual 'apt update && apt upgrade' routine.
acheka wrote: 2022-07-20 13:47If this is my only choice
Alternative options would be either the Liquorix kernel (which is always kept up to date) or to install the drivers manually, preferably under the aegis of DKMS so it is kept updated with the kernel.

Source here: https://github.com/lwfinger/rtw89
deadbang

acheka

#20 Post by acheka »

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 5850U with Radeon Graphics

:lol: :lol: looks like a good movie!
But seriously, updates for the backported kernel are delayed by a few weeks because backports can only be drawn from testing and that has a mandatory transition delay from sid. This can leave the user exposed to vulnerabilites for longer than would be the case for the stable kernel.
Thank you very much for the clarification.

No. As long as the metapackage is installed and the backports repository is left enabled then the kernel will be updated as part of the usual 'apt update && apt upgrade' routine.
Got it!
Alternative options would be either the Liquorix kernel (which is always kept up to date) or to install the drivers manually, preferably under the aegis of DKMS so it is kept updated with the kernel.
I guess i'm going to try backports first and come back to tell you what happened.

Thanks for your time Mr. Head_on_a_Stick!