Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Scanner HP Laser Jet Pro MFP M128fw detected but not working

Need help with peripherals or devices?
kolin

Scanner HP Laser Jet Pro MFP M128fw detected but not working

#1 Post by kolin »

Hello!

I have recently installed Debian 11 on my desktop, which is connected to the HP Printer-scanner mentioned in the caption. I installed CUPS, and then HPLIP through Synaptic. The latter is confirmed through terminal:
hplip is already the newest version (3.21.2+dfsg1-2)
While printing works, the scanner is detected but doesn't work.
scanimage -L
device `hpaio:/usb/HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M128fw?serial=CNB9JC75GN' is a Hewlett-Packard HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M128fw all-in-one
However, using Document Scan, I get an error message "Failed to scan. Unable to connect to scanner."

I have confirmed that both printing and scanning are supported through the installed version of HPLIP. Screenshot of the supported devices page of HP (https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... ices/index) lists my printer-scanner. Screenshot is attached.

Shall be obliged for any advice/help. Thanks a lot!
Attachments
scanner support.png
scanner support.png (7.69 KiB) Viewed 26793 times

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Scanner HP Laser Jet Pro MFP M128fw detected but not working

#2 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Debian is moving to driverless printing and scanning, so you could investigate whether that works - I believe you printer is listed by Apple as supporting Airprint, so it might work.

https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessPrinting

https://wiki.debian.org/SaneOverNetwork#escl

My HP scanner only works if I find the printer through HPLIP, and not through the system add-printer dialogue. Try that, but driverless will be the best option going down the road.

kolin

#3 Post by kolin »

Thanks a lot @FreewheelinFrank . Actually in my case, the Document Scan software that comes pre-installed could initially detect the HP scanner, but wouldn't run it due to missing drivers. After reading a bit, I installed hplip - first through synaptic, then uninstalled it to install from the HP driver website, uninstalled it, and then following your advice, reinstalled hplip from the website once again.

Each time, with hplip, it gives an error that driver files are missing. On proceeding to install the drives through hplip's interface, it asks for "root" password. The system password (i.e. sudo password) doesn't work. I suspect that during install process, hplip should have asked me to set up users and passwords, which it did not. So the additional driver install fails. I am attaching some screenshots, in case they help.
Attachments
HP errors 1.png
HP errors 1.png (206.95 KiB) Viewed 26762 times
HP error 3.png
HP error 3.png (81.08 KiB) Viewed 26762 times
HP error 2.png
HP error 2.png (85.71 KiB) Viewed 26762 times

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Your printer is supported by Hplip 3.21 in the Bullseye repository (3.14 required).

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... lugintable

kolin

#5 Post by kolin »

@FreewheelinFrank : Yes, of course its supported. I had checked that. Printer is working - both with CUPS and HPLIP.

Problem is with scanner. It keeps asking for additional drivers, and root password. The screenshots in my earlier post should give some idea. This is not the system root password (sudo), because that returns "incorrect password". So there should be an HP specific root/password. HPLIP didn't ask me to set any user/password during installation. So this is stuck!

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

The scanner is also supported, according to the HP website.

If you want to go down the HPLIP route, install the version in the Debian repository. Follow the steps to download the plugin from there.

Edit: Actually, once you have installed Hplip, run

Code: Select all

$ hp-setup
And follow these instructions:

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... lugin.html

Did you give yourself a root password? You will need it.

However, I remind you again, driverless is the way to go on this, not HPLIP.

brian_p

#7 Post by brian_p »

kolin wrote: 2021-11-22 05:25
I have recently installed Debian 11 on my desktop, which is connected to the HP Printer-scanner mentioned in the caption. I installed CUPS, and then HPLIP through Synaptic. The latter is confirmed through terminal:
hplip is already the newest version (3.21.2+dfsg1-2)
While printing works, the scanner is detected but doesn't work.
FreewheelinFrank has given you excellent advice. However, whilst you are printing, you are not, as you assume, using HPLIP to do it. In fact it is not possible to use HPLIP to print or scan on a default Debian 11. Unless you alter the default configuration you are wasting your time witjh HPLIP. It is strongly suggested you study the IPP-over-USB sections at https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessPrinting.

Now install sane-airscan and give

scanimage -L

airscan-discover
--
Brian.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

brian_p wrote: 2021-11-23 13:54 However, whilst you are printing, you are not, as you assume, using HPLIP to do it. In fact it is not possible to use HPLIP to print or scan on a default Debian 11. Unless you alter the default configuration you are wasting your time witjh HPLIP. It is strongly suggested you study the IPP-over-USB sections at https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessPrinting.
Just to clarify that, I believe you are talking about a "suitable device" (driverless enabled printer/scanner) connected via a USB cable. Please correct me if I am wrong.
2.2.2.2. SANE and driverless scanning

The official SANE driverless backend is provided by sane-escl in libsane1. An independently developed driverless backend is sane-airscan. Both backends understand the eSCL protocol but sane-airscan can also use the WSD protocol. Users should consider having both backends on their systems.

eSCL and WSD are network protocols. Consequently they will operate over a USB connection if the device is an IPP-over-USB device (see above). Note that libsane1 has ipp-usb as a recommended package. This leads to a suitable device being automatically set up to use a driverless backend driver when it is connected to a USB port.
As I understand it, you are saying when ipp-usb is automatically set up, HPLIP won't work to add a scanner. Again, please correct me if I am wrong.

For anybody coming across this thread, I believe it would be useful to make it clear that you are referring to specific hardware. I used HPLIP GUI to add my printer/scanner on Bookworm, and it works - but it is not driverless-capable and it's wireless not USB.

brian_p

#9 Post by brian_p »

brian_p wrote: 2021-11-23 13:54 However, whilst you are printing, you are not, as you assume, using HPLIP to do it. In fact it is not possible to use HPLIP to print or scan on a default Debian 11. Unless you alter the default configuration you are wasting your time witjh HPLIP. It is strongly suggested you study the IPP-over-USB sections at https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessPrinting.
FreewheelinFrank wrote: 2021-11-24 11:16 Just to clarify that, I believe you are talking about a "suitable device" (driverless enabled printer/scanner) connected via a USB cable. Please correct me if I am wrong.
The IPP-over-USB protocol was ratified towards the end of 2012. Vendors are not given to promoting it in their literature for devices manufactured after that date, so the only way we have to know whether it is available on a particular device is from a a user's testing information. This is why I hope kolin will consider answering the questions I asked.

My experience is:
  • Almost all IPP/AurPrint devices provide IPP-over-USB.
  • USB-only printers may or may not offer IPP-over-USB. Most of the ones I have dealt with do not.
  • Some standalone scanners offer IPP-over-USB.
This experience has been built up with the co-operation of many users.
FreewheelinFrank wrote: 2021-11-24 11:16
2.2.2.2. SANE and driverless scanning

The official SANE driverless backend is provided by sane-escl in libsane1. An independently developed driverless backend is sane-airscan. Both backends understand the eSCL protocol but sane-airscan can also use the WSD protocol. Users should consider having both backends on their systems.

eSCL and WSD are network protocols. Consequently they will operate over a USB connection if the device is an IPP-over-USB device (see above). Note that libsane1 has ipp-usb as a recommended package. This leads to a suitable device being automatically set up to use a driverless backend driver when it is connected to a USB port.
As I understand it, you are saying when ipp-usb is automatically set up, HPLIP won't work to add a scanner. Again, please correct me if I am wrong.
Not quite. The scanner will be visible to the hpaio backend but the backend will not communicate with the scanner to produce a scan. This is because ipp-usb has control of the only available USB printing/scanning interface.

This visibility (adding) of a vendor print queue or a vendor scanning backend (both not working) is confusing for a user. It should not happen wth the upcoming CUPS 2.4 because a user will not be allowed to set up a (non-working) vendor print queue whilst ipp-usb is active.
FreewheelinFrank wrote: 2021-11-24 11:16 For anybody coming across this thread, I believe it would be useful to make it clear that you are referring to specific hardware. I used HPLIP GUI to add my printer/scanner on Bookworm, and it works - but it is not driverless-capable and it's wireless not USB.
I hope it is now clear that only IPP-over-USB devices were my focus. With a wireless connection, a vendor driver setup and a driverless setup at the same time is possible with an IPP device.
--
Brian.

kolin

#10 Post by kolin »

Hi @brian_p and @FreewheelinFrank.

Apologies for the revert. I was out of town and not using the office PC where I am facing this issue.

As regards the suggestions from @brian_p , I found that sane-airscan was already installed. So I didn't touch it. However, as further advised, I did the following:
scanimage -L
device `hpaio:/usb/HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M128fw?serial=CNB9JC75GN' is a Hewlett-Packard HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M128fw all-in-one
dc@dc-office:~$ airscan-discover
[devices]
The USB scanner was identified, but then when I run Document scanner, it detects the scanner, but gives an error "Failed to connect to scanner".

I see the point made by @brian_p regarding driverless scanning, because my home laptop, connected wirelessly to my canon printer-scanner, detected and scanned flawlessly without any set up. But in this PC, with the HP device connected through USB, this doesn't seem to work. So any further advice will be welcome.Thanks.

brian_p

#11 Post by brian_p »

kolin wrote: 2021-12-01 03:57 Hi @brian_p and @FreewheelinFrank.

Apologies for the revert. I was out of town and not using the office PC where I am facing this issue.

As regards the suggestions from @brian_p , I found that sane-airscan was already installed. So I didn't touch it. However, as further advised, I did the following:
scanimage -L
dc@dc-office:~$ airscan-discover
[devices]
It looks like the ipp-usb service is inactive. Let's find out whether the device is capable of using the IPP-over-USB protocol. Please give

lsusb -v | grep -A 3 bInterfaceClass.*7
Also provide

lpstat -t
If the protocol is not supported, you will have to use hpaio. As advised previously, a plugin must be installed for this to work.
--
Brian.

kolin

#12 Post by kolin »

Thanks @brian_p . Here are the outputs:

Output:
Couldn't open device, some information will be missing
bInterfaceClass 7 Printer
bInterfaceSubClass 1 Printer
bInterfaceProtocol 2 Bidirectional
iInterface 4 Printer
can't get debug descriptor: Resource temporarily unavailable
Then:

lpstat -t
Output:
scheduler is running
system default destination: HP-LaserJet-Pro-MFP-M128fw
device for HP-LaserJet-Pro-MFP-M128fw: hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M128fw?serial=CNB9JC75GN
device for HP-LaserJet-Pro-MFP-M128fw-Fax-2: hpfax:/usb/HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M128fw?serial=CNB9JC75GN
device for HP_LaserJet_office: hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M128fw?serial=CNB9JC75GN
device for HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M128fw: hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M128fw?serial=CNB9JC75GN
HP-LaserJet-Pro-MFP-M128fw accepting requests since Monday 22 November 2021 02:32:16 PM
HP-LaserJet-Pro-MFP-M128fw-Fax-2 accepting requests since Monday 22 November 2021 02:32:16 PM
HP_LaserJet_office accepting requests since Monday 22 November 2021 02:48:07 PM
HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M128fw accepting requests since Monday 22 November 2021 02:33:57 PM
printer HP-LaserJet-Pro-MFP-M128fw is idle. enabled since Monday 22 November 2021 02:32:16 PM
printer HP-LaserJet-Pro-MFP-M128fw-Fax-2 is idle. enabled since Monday 22 November 2021 02:32:16 PM
printer HP_LaserJet_office is idle. enabled since Monday 22 November 2021 02:48:07 PM
printer HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M128fw is idle. enabled since Monday 22 November 2021 02:33:57 PM
I not trained enough to make sense of this. You will have to advice me regarding hpaio and plugins.

Thanks a lot.

brian_p

#13 Post by brian_p »

kolin wrote: 2021-12-02 03:42 T
I not trained enough to make sense of this. You will have to advice me regarding hpaio and plugins.
I initially assumed the device supported IPP-over-UB. It doesn't.

Your printing setup is OK. Execute

hp-plugin
to install the plugin.
--
Brian.

kolin

#14 Post by kolin »

Thanks @brian_p. Sorry for the late revert - was unable to work on this. Ran hp-plugin as advised. Doesn't run unfortunately. Output is as follows:

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.21.10)
Plugin Download and Install Utility ver. 2.1

Copyright (c) 2001-18 HP Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Warning: Ignoring XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland on Gnome. Use QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland to run on Wayland anyway.
Checking for network connection...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/hplip/ui5/plugindialog.py", line 237, in NextButton_clicked
    ok = utils.check_network_connection()
  File "/usr/share/hplip/base/utils.py", line 2293, in check_network_connection
    status = download_via_curl(url, head=True)
  File "/usr/share/hplip/base/utils.py", line 2272, in download_via_curl
    log.debug("curl returned: %d" % status)
TypeError: %d format: a number is required, not NoneType
Aborted
The printer works absolutely fine; the scanner doesn't.
Also, on boot, an error message pops up:
"No system tray detected in this system. Unable to start, existing".
Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#15 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Try logging on with Xorg instead of Wayland.

The extension TopIconsFix will take care of the system tray problem.