Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Ubuntu found my Drivers Automatically... Where do I Get Them for Debian?

Need help with peripherals or devices?
GPWR

Ubuntu found my Drivers Automatically... Where do I Get Them for Debian?

#1 Post by GPWR »

Debian doesn't automatically include non-free firmware (which is great!), as you all know.
I have a D-Link Wireless AC1200 Dual Band PCI Express Adapter (model number is DWA-582), which I successfully used with Ubuntu.
The only reason I ever used Ubuntu is to save the files on my broken Windows PC. I had installed it on a USB in order to suck up all the files I wanted to save and store them on another device so I could fix my PC without worrying about deleting anything important.
Now... Ubuntu just automatically downloaded the drivers for my Wi-Fi adapter, and it worked g-r-e-a-t. Where can I find that driver to manually install it on Debian during the OS installation (the part where it says it needs non-free firmware for some of the harware to function.)
More specifically, it tells me it's missing the following files:
  • rtfwifi/rt18812aefw.bin
  • rtlwifi/rt18821aefw.bin
  • rtlwifi/rt18812aefw_wowlan.bin
  • rtlwifi/rt18821aefl.bin
Don't hesitate in asking for any additional pertinent details I may have missed. Note that I am completely new to Linux, though I'm OK with computers in general. I am installing Debian because I was interested in a platform that radically advocates the use of free software. Additionally, I was tired of Windows and I wanted a very stable alternative.

Cheers, and thank you in advance for any help.

GPWR

Re: Ubuntu found my Drivers Automatically... Where do I Get Them for Debian?

#3 Post by GPWR »

Thank you for your response.
4D696B65 wrote: 2021-12-02 00:40 firmware-realtek
https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/firmware-realtek
So Realtek is doing drivers for D-Link? I was not aware of that. Are these firmware components distributed by the manufacturer, or by the Debian developer team?

Thank you again, and have a nice one.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by canci »

GPWR wrote: 2021-12-02 15:07
So Realtek is doing drivers for D-Link? I was not aware of that. Are these firmware components distributed by the manufacturer, or by the Debian developer team?
The link above should also have the source's website, so you could find out where it's from. D-Link might be licensing Realtek chipsets.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

GPWR

#5 Post by GPWR »

canci wrote: 2021-12-02 15:18 The link above should also have the source's website, so you could find out where it's from. D-Link might be licensing Realtek chipsets.
Oh, I see now. Thank you for pointing that out!

Pax.