Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian cannot recognize External Hard Drive

Need help with peripherals or devices?
LE_746F6D617A7A69

Re: Debian cannot recognize External Hard Drive

#21 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

p.H wrote: 2022-01-07 16:37
4joeyirosh1 wrote: 2022-01-07 14:15 I opened up the drive and when I connect it to my computer the platter and head run for a short while then stop.Kindly see video below for what I mean
Sorry but I am not going to watch a video. What do you mean by "opened" and "connect" ? Do you mean you opened the enclosure, removed the drive from it and connected the drive directly to a SATA port and power in the computer ? You did not open the drive itself and watch the platters and heads, did you ?
@4joeyirosh1:
Sorry, but p.H is right: You're just another YT idiot -> I'm really sorry for calling You an "idiot", but this is simply a fact.
YT is attracting idiots like a magnet -> don't use YT, unless as an expert, You would like to write an essay about idiots that are using YouTube ...

Explanation:
By removing the cover from HDD You have just damaged it. The diameter of typical dust particle is several times higher than the distance from HDD head to the surface of the platter - a single dust particle can damage the HDD --> Game Over.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#22 Post by steve_v »

Well, that escalated quickly.

I don't recall anyone suggesting exposing the platters, so either the OP got far too excited with a screwdriver, or WD has taken cost-down to a hithertofore unheard of level and not bothered with a top cover for the drive itself.

Either way the drive was probably dead before it was opened, so no great loss.

As usual, when somebody says "It has a lot of my data which I cannot afford to lose", and "I have backups", what they really mean is "I don't actually have backups, but I don't want to admit it". :roll:
For people who do have a proper backup strategy, a drive dying is just another day at the office. Most wouldn't even bother trying to recover anything from it, let alone mucking about making ridiculous youtube videos of the effort.

With any luck, lessons have been learned here WRT hard drive reliability, and why data recovery services are so expensive.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#23 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

steve_v wrote: 2022-01-14 01:23 Either way the drive was probably dead before it was opened, so no great loss.
... unless this was simply a problem with USB<->SATA bridge or with insufficient current delivered from USB socket, or with damaged USB cable -> those are sources of 90% of problems with external drives ... ;)
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#24 Post by steve_v »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote: 2022-01-14 21:14problem with USB<->SATA bridge or with insufficient current
Covered with my initial suggestion to try it with another machine, and failing that, plugged in directly outside the case. :)
If, and it's a big if since the OP has apparently vanished, WD has constructed these drives so you can't get at the native interface without exposing the platters (and frankly I doubt that), then we're back to "it was a lost cause anyway". vOv

Against my better judgement, I just had a quick look around the cesspit that is youtube. It's kinda concerning how many "How to recover hard drive (for beginners)" type videos there are that show people exposing platters and buggering about with heads...
These should really be entitled "How to ensure you get nothing off a drive at all, (for the complete idiot)". None of them feature a cleanroom or laminar flow bench, hell, nobody is even wearing gloves, FFS. :shock:
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.