Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How can I verify that my DVD drive is up to the task ?

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Aarick

How can I verify that my DVD drive is up to the task ?

#1 Post by Aarick »

I have this 7 y/o DVD-RW drive.

I've had several mishaps (such as OS not installing properly, etc.) which led me to consider the hypothesis that this drive does not function properly anymore.

Does there exist software tools that could assess the reliability of this drive ?

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: How can I verify that my DVD drive is up to the task ?

#2 Post by cds60601 »

If you have had issues in the past with numerous OS/applications that require installation via your DVD drive, its a good bet that it is failing.
Considering you have gotten 7 or more years out of it - you are lucky.

I just purchased a new external DVD for the Mrs for 22.00 from Amazon. This may be an option for you also. It's not like it was years ago when the cost was much more than it is today.
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by p.H »

For which task ? Writing or reading ?
For reading, you can test it with badblocks and different media types (CD/DVD-ROM/R/RW...).

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by canci »

Aarick wrote: 2022-01-07 15:33 OS not installing properly
Is buying a good quality USB key of, let's say 8GB not an option? Seems like much less hassle than installing your OS from failing optical disks.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#5 Post by oswaldkelso »

Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#6 Post by steve_v »

Get an iso, md5sum it, burn it, read it back to an iso, compare checksums. dd, cdrecord (among others) and md5sum are all in the repos.
For a read-only test, I'll second badblocks. Same goes for pretty much any other kind of drive too.

As for reliability of optical drives in general, it all comes down to build quality. IME cheap optical drives suck quite hard.
cds60601 wrote: 2022-01-07 15:38Considering you have gotten 7 or more years out of it - you are lucky.
Perhaps, assuming we're talking about cheap Chinese junk.
I have 2 Pioneer DVDRW drives here, manufactured in 2004 and 2007 respectively, and they both still work flawlessly. The older model in particular has served me rather well, and I've archived hundreds of disks with it over the years.
I still keep that one around as it will read beat up disks nothing else I have can, despite its obsolete IDE/PATA interface becoming a little problematic on modern hardware.
I also have a number of cheap OEM drives (mostly lite-on rebrands IIRC), some only a few years old, all pending disposal...
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

NorthEast

#7 Post by NorthEast »

I've had good experience also with Pioneer DVDRWs. Nevertheless, it's a technology that has a multitude of intervening variables compared to usb for installation of OSs which create multiple points of possible failure. In times past I used DVDRW for back up and storage, but that's been supplanted by usb too. DVD are still useful to me for running films on DVDs.

Aarick

#8 Post by Aarick »

p.H wrote: 2022-01-07 16:21 For reading, you can test it with badblocks
Thanks a lot, that the piece of information that I was lacking :D

Aarick

#9 Post by Aarick »

steve_v wrote: 2022-01-08 00:04 Get an iso, md5sum it, burn it, read it back to an iso, compare checksums. dd, cdrecord (among others) and md5sum are all in the repos.
:idea:

Thanks a lot : I do like this line of thinking. I'm still a bit shy with md5sum : I guess that it is high time that I learnt.