Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

USB-C to DP monitor not recognized

Need help with peripherals or devices?
kefNurd1

USB-C to DP monitor not recognized

#1 Post by kefNurd1 »

I have a laptop that has two video outputs available, one HDMI and one Thunderbolt. One connected monitor, HDMI to HDMI, is working fine. The other monitor, Thunderbolt to DisplayPort, is not getting a signal. I believe there are no issues with the hardware or the cable since the Thunderbolt-DisplayPort monitor does get a signal and both external monitors work fine when I use Windows.

In the past I've had trouble connecting to external monitors using DisplayLink chips, but I don't think this laptop is using DisplayLink hardware. The HW probe is at https://linux-hardware.org/?probe=a2817e6e7e.

I would normally troubleshoot by tailing the syslog as I plug the monitor cable into the laptop and seeing what error messages come up. In this case, the only messages I get are:

Code: Select all

Jan 21 11:38:18 alkaid kernel: [20119.047917] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\_GPE._L2B], AE_NOT_FOUND (20210730/psargs-330)
Jan 21 11:38:18 alkaid kernel: [20119.047923] ACPI Error: Aborting method \_SB.PC00.LPCB.H_EC._Q86 due to previous error (AE_NOT_FOUND) (20210730/psparse-529)
Using Google I haven't yet been able to confirm either that this is related to the problem or a red herring.

Does anyone know if there's some unsupported hardware that preventing the laptop from connecting to the monitor, or have any other ideas about how to continue troubleshooting?

bw123

Re: USB-C to DP monitor not recognized

#2 Post by bw123 »

Forum guidelines. Please read before first post!
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=149781&sid=6aeb1b4 ... 1ebfde1b0f
Please Read.. What we expect you have already Done.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=47078&sid=6aeb1b4d ... 1ebfde1b0f

people will need basic system info to help on here
resigned by AI ChatGPT

NorthEast

#3 Post by NorthEast »

kefNurd1 provided code:

.... ACPI BIOS Error ....
I had a look at the hardware in your link. I'm not familiar with your machine but just looking at the code you might consider booting up with the kernel parameter: acpi=off to check the difference.

kefNurd1

#4 Post by kefNurd1 »

people will need basic system info to help on here
@bw123, as far as I know that's provided in the post. If there's something you think I should add specifically, please let me know, I'll try to provide it.
you might consider booting up with the kernel parameter: acpi=off
@NorthEast, strangely, it gets this point:

[  0.854802 ] Freeing unused decrypted memory: 2036K
[  0.855006 ] Freeing unused kernel image (initmem) memory: 2652K
and then no further. Progress just freezes. ?

NorthEast

#5 Post by NorthEast »

kefNurd1 wrote:
I haven't yet been able to confirm either that this (ACPI error) is related to the problem or a red herring.
(with acpi=off)
Progress just freezes
Red herring sounds good. I've found ACPI often outputs errors that don't affect normal use, but sometimes do.