Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

HDMI audio broken after upgrade to version 11

Need help with peripherals or devices?
debiautruche

HDMI audio broken after upgrade to version 11

#1 Post by debiautruche »

Hello everyone,
I upgraded my old Debian 10 to the latest version yesterday.
Before that I could play a movie on a screen and both the audio and the video were fine, however today when I tried to play a video on Youtube two weird things happened :
1°) The video was being played really fast
2°) The sound wasn't played at all

If I just plug in the cable and let the sound come out of my laptop speakers, it's fine, but as soon as I switch the sound to HDMI, everything goes south. I tried Youtube, VLC, SMPlayer, movies, musics...
The only progress I've made so far is switching my audio chipset to "Surround 5.1", then it appears the video is played at a normal rate, but the sound is weird, it's like there is nothing and suddenly a big "packet" of sound arrives, and then nothing again.

I tried to kill and restart the pulseaudio daemon, to no effect.
I tried to reinstall it, to no effect either.
I tried to set the default-rate to 48000 in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf, that didn't do anything.
I tried pretty much all of the tips & tricks I could get out of Google, to no avail :/
Here is the output of VLC when I tried to play a movie :
pulse audio output error: overflow, flushing

And the output of lscpi :
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)

Does anyone have any idea ? If I can't solve that I'll probably go back to Debian 10 but I really don't want to go through all of the hassle of the (re)installation :O
Thanks !

Edit :
I added the option intel_iommu=igfx_off to /etc/default/grub this way :
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet" intel_iommu=igfx_off

Then ran update-grub2, and rebooted. Now the HDMI audio plays just fine. I followed the last post of that thread and googled arround :
viewtopic.php?t=150032

EDIT 2 :
Actually it wasn't solved. The audio plays fine for a few seconds and then it starts doing s*** again. I'm sad :(

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: HDMI audio broken after upgrade to version 11

#2 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Looking at the outputs from

Code: Select all

lsmod | grep snd
for Buster and Bullseye provided by one user in the thread you linked to

viewtopic.php?p=742931#p742931

it appears that the big difference is Bullseye has added support for SoundWire with the snd_intel_dspcfg (Digital Signal Processing) driver.

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.16/d ... mmary.html

This may require a change in your BIOS settings. (Although this information is for the SOF driver - it may not apply to the snd_hda_intel driver.)
When OEM platforms integrate digital microphones attached directly to the Intel chipset (aka DMIC), or they use I2C/I2S or SoundWire interfaces, the DSP must be enabled by the BIOS.
https://thesofproject.github.io/latest/ ... ction.html

Probably worth looking at audio options in the BIOS.