Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Keyboard is disfunctional

Need help with peripherals or devices?
michaeltenerife

Keyboard is disfunctional

#1 Post by michaeltenerife »

Hi everyone,

I am using a Dell Latitude 7404 and I installed Debian 11 for the first time a couple of months ago.
I have an issue with the keyboard in some way, maybe it is software related but I just felt to put it here.
Every now and then but quite often, the runs crazy forward/backward with either one letter or space or erase as if I was keeping pressing one key. It stops when pressing any key but all the chaos need to be cleaned out.

Any clue of what the issue might be?

thank you very much

Bulkley

Re: Keyboard is disfunctional

#2 Post by Bulkley »

Look for something physical such as a sticky key. As an experiment, beg or borrow a USB connected keyboard and use it for a few weeks. That should tell.

michaeltenerife

#3 Post by michaeltenerife »

HI, it is not physical, it happen with any key I pressed last. so if it is a . then suddenly it starts doing ............................ and this with any letter or backspace indifferently...

michaeltenerife

#4 Post by michaeltenerife »

??

NorthEast

#5 Post by NorthEast »

Perhaps check out how to change the keyboard key delay and repeat timings. You could add a config file with such an alteration in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d using a line in the keyboard section such as: Option "AutoRepeat" "400 10", where 400 is the delay in milliseconds before a key starts repeating, and 10 is the number of times a key repeats per second. Check out the other files in that directory for format. The default last time I looked was: "500 30". This option isn't always supported, but if it works, it will offer you control.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Dell seems to have issues with keys sticking due to BIOS issues (in Windows and Linux).

https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops- ... 74/page/26

https://www.dell.com/community/Linux-Ge ... -p/4632160

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-u ... ter-repeat

Check if there is a BIOS update available.

Good news is Dell have made made BIOS update OS independent: see final link.

michaeltenerife

#7 Post by michaeltenerife »

Interesting but unfortunately the dell page don't offer a bios update for ubunu and the computer model I have... strange... On that link they gave they also offer the fact to desactivate the key repeating option what it seems to be easily accessible on ubuntu but not on debian...

michaeltenerife

#8 Post by michaeltenerife »

I found it in accessibility....