Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Testing Bookworm netinst - internet down after install

Need help with peripherals or devices?
majpooper

Testing Bookworm netinst - internet down after install

#1 Post by majpooper »

I am testing Bookworm netinstl. (my daily driver is Bullseye)
After the installation is complete and I reboot the internet connection is down. I have tried this on both a test laptop with WiFi and on a test PC with ethernet. The only software installed during the install process is ssh. I did not have this issue a couple of months ago with Bookworm or ever with Bullseye during testing and after it went stable for sure. Since I build my OS from the ground up I want as little as possible installed during the initial installation - like I said this has worked before . I have looked around but nothing works to bring up the ethernet or WiFi NICs.

Any ideas. :?:

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Testing Bookworm netinst - internet down after install

#2 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

On a recent Bookworm install, I found that there was no internet and

Code: Select all

/etc/resolv.conf 
was a broken symbolic link.

I found it was broken in Thunar > Properties, but this command will show any broken links in red:

Code: Select all

$ ls -l /etc

Bloom
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

#3 Post by Bloom »

Laptops often require non-free / closed source drivers or firmware for certain hardware that won't work without it. Wifi is usually one of those.
If you only installed ssh and excluded all desktop enviroments, there will be nothing installed to use Wifi. But cabled network (LAN) should work.
For a Bookworm including non-free and/or closed source drivers or firmware, use this: http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unoff ... 64/iso-cd/

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by canci »

majpooper wrote: 2022-06-20 03:43 Any ideas. :?:
Testing is a development release and might have bugs not present in stable.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources