Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can't install Nvidia official drivers for my GT620M

Need help with peripherals or devices?
SlenderJr

Can't install Nvidia official drivers for my GT620M

#1 Post by SlenderJr »

Hello,

I have a big problem with installing Nvidia official 390x drivers for my GT620M card, every time when I'm trying to install the driver (via command line or via nvidia script after downloading the driver) I'm getting error with dkms, log file says that my kernel was compiled with CC and my nvidia kernel with GCC, I've tried newest liquorix and XanMod kernel (LTS and Main line), for both of the kernels I was unable to install the driver and it driving me crazy :) Can anyone help me with my issue? ;) Oh, and I will forgot, I'm using Debian 11 ;)

@ttila

Re: Can't install Nvidia official drivers for my GT620M

#2 Post by @ttila »

I don't understand if you use the Debian drivers or you downloaded them from the nvidia site. Anyway I use debian 12 with my 635M and only debian packaged drivers 390.151-2 compile correctly with the kernel 5.18, version 399.152-1 give compiling issue.
So, you are on stable not the same my case but Bullseye uses the 390.151-1 version.

SlenderJr

#3 Post by SlenderJr »

I'm following the installation guide for the Debian 11 from the official wiki and trying to install driver from the Nvidia site with their automatic installation script, in both cases i'm getting the same issue, tomorrow I will check the driver that you've mentioned and I hope that it will work or I will literally apply airplane mode to my laptop :D thanks for the replay, I will let you know if that helped!

SlenderJr

#4 Post by SlenderJr »

I finally fixed my issue, but even if I used newer Nvidia driver from bookworm repository the problem still persists, to install older or newer one driver you need to update/install newer GCC version, for me it helped when I installed gcc-11 package and reinstalled linux-headers, linux-image and dkms also. Now I'm using the newest possible driver for my old GT620M card and everything seems to be okay. Thread can be closed, thanks for your help!

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by sunrat »

So now are you running Bookworm? How did you install gcc-11?
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

SlenderJr

#6 Post by SlenderJr »

Nah, I'm using bullseye, but for the GCC update process I added bookworm repository with contrib and non-free flag and it's important I deleted contrib and non-free flags from the lines with bullseye repository, after updating I deleted bookworm repository and added contrib and non-free flags again to my bullseye repository lines.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by sunrat »

SlenderJr wrote: 2022-07-13 10:54 Nah, I'm using bullseye, but for the GCC update process I added bookworm repository with contrib and non-free flag and it's important I deleted contrib and non-free flags from the lines with bullseye repository, after updating I deleted bookworm repository and added contrib and non-free flags again to my bullseye repository lines.
Changing contrib/non-free is irrelevant. If you had both active apt would install the highest available version anyway.
Adding Testing packages to Stable is generally discouraged and can wreck your system. Good luck with your new FrankenDebian! :mrgreen:
Read this: DontBreakDebian
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

kedaha

#8 Post by kedaha »

Hi,
I use nouveau myself but I saw in the Debian news the other day that there's a new upstream release of nvidia-legacy-390xx-driver (390.151-1~deb11u1) [non-free], which supports the GeForce GT 620M card.
Of course, this would entail reinstalling Bullseye and then installing that package from Debian's non-free repository.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

SlenderJr

#9 Post by SlenderJr »

Yeah I know that I shouldn't add unstable repositories, however it fixed my problem and without that I wasn't able to update GCC to the newer version which was needed to install Nvidia drivers properly, and for me when I has both stable and unstable contrib and non-free flags I wasn't able to install gcc-11 package. So far so good with my frankenDebian and I hope that i will not be forced to reinstall it in the near future :D