Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

hplip-3.22.6.run Not working

Need help with peripherals or devices?
FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: hplip-3.22.6.run Not working

#21 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

ferulebezel: to be clear, these are the commands you need to run to remove the downloaded Hplip and use Hplip from the repositories.

Code: Select all

cd /home/username/Downloads/hplip-3.22.6
replace "username" with your user name.

sudo python3 ./uninstall.py

sudo rm -rf /usr/share/hplip/
then

sudo apt reinstall hplip
You will need to make some changes before you can download the plugin because Hplip won't accept sudo at the moment: I will tell you what to do in another post.

brian_p

#22 Post by brian_p »

I have successfully dealt with this printer before but it needs to be put on the network, not USB. The method does not involve HPLIP and the queue setup should be trouble-free. If a wireless connection is established, give

avahi-browse -rt _ipp._tcp

driverless
--
Brian.

ferulebezel

#23 Post by ferulebezel »

Done, but it seem the "rm" step was redundant. Either the uninstallation script took care of that or the directory /usr/share/hplip never existed. I suspect the later because it doesn't exist after reinstalling through apt.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#24 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

OK. You should follow brian_p's advice because he knows what he is talking about. I had a quick check but didn't think this printer worked driverless, but if it does, definitely go with that and avoid the hassle with Hplip.

brian_p

#25 Post by brian_p »

Thank you for your faith in my abilities, FreewheelinFrank :). You are correct; checking Apple and OpenPrinting does not show the device to be AirPrint enabled. Therefore, driverless printing appears not to be on the cards. But HP says otherwise.

The TXT record from a couple of users for the device has
  • URF=CP1,IS1,OB10,PQ3-4-5,RS600,W8,MT1-2-3-4-5-6
  • pdl=image/urf,application/PCLm
so it claims to do AirPrint and accept Apple raster (image/urf).
--
Brian.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#26 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

brian_p wrote: 2022-07-30 17:03 Thank you for your faith in my abilities, FreewheelinFrank :). You are correct; checking Apple and OpenPrinting does not show the device to be AirPrint enabled. Therefore, driverless printing appears not to be on the cards. But HP says otherwise.

The TXT record from a couple of users for the device has
  • URF=CP1,IS1,OB10,PQ3-4-5,RS600,W8,MT1-2-3-4-5-6
  • pdl=image/urf,application/PCLm
so it claims to do AirPrint and accept Apple raster (image/urf).
Very often when I search for a solution to printing problems, your name appears in various forums, and your advice solves the problem (if the person posting the problem takes it), so not so much faith as evidence.

The lists of printers which support driverless printing do not seem to be infallible. I hadn't come across that link before. I will check it in future. Thanks!

brian_p

#27 Post by brian_p »

FreewheelinFrank wrote: 2022-07-30 17:21
The lists of printers which support driverless printing do not seem to be infallible. I hadn't come across that link before. I will check it in future. Thanks!
The list is possibly not infallible but it is a good basis for making a start. A TXT record should provide a basis for a definitive conclusion. My guess is that this device (on the market in 2012) received a firmware update soon afterwards.

I also do not know whether a vendor self-certifies the printer as AirPrint-capable or whether it has to be tested by Apple. Either way, there are probably some legal aspects to using the name AirPrint on a product because criteria have to be met.

Keep up the good work with Debian printing.
--
Brian.

ferulebezel

#28 Post by ferulebezel »

I had it working under Debians 9 and 10 with hplip, sort of. It would just tell me that I needed to install the plugin and it would fail but printing would work anyway. Now it doesn't do that.

ferulebezel

#29 Post by ferulebezel »

I finally got it working. I had to:

1) Rerun the cleanup script from the HPLIP package provided by HP.
2) Use Synaptic to delete everything that came up with an "HPLIP" search.
3) scrum my filesystem of anything with "hplip" in the name.

That done I used Synaptic to install printer-driver-foo2zjs and it's associated common files. CUPS created the printer all by itself. Yay!

Now it's time to start another minor thread on how to deal with some minor annoyances remaining from the whole nightmare.