Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Nvidia graphics driver problem

Need help with peripherals or devices?
electroconvulsive

Nvidia graphics driver problem

#1 Post by electroconvulsive »

I apologise for the elongated question but I am trying to fit as much background in as I can to help with the troubleshooting process

This started when I was setting up San Andreas in PlayonLinux. I had the nvidia-tesla-470 driver installed and the debug in PlayonLinux was telling me that Lib1.so was missing. After investigating I realised I needed to install the nvidia-driver package to install the relevant 32 bit driver for PlayonLinux to use. There was a broken package error and I am sure I de-selected the associated binary in synaptic but it still allowed the install to go ahead and viola I had both the graphics and the 32 bit support required for San Andreas to work.

The next day I was installing a TV capture card. A task I have performed on other Linux installations successfully on multiple occasions. But this time (most likely myself) or something screwed up. I was following the instructions provided here.

https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ ... V-HVR-2200.

I got up to the make install and thought I was ready for a reboot and that is where my problems begun. Next reboot I lost use of my graphics driver.

First thing I tried was to remove the firmware added in the first step of the install. I tried to run a make uninstall and rminstall to uninstall the package I had just compiled. I looked in /lib to find the install folder in there which means the install process didn’t complete. I promptly deleted it from this location.

I uninstalled and reinstalled both of driver packages available in the repos one by one, purged and tried again more times than I care to mention. Coming across broken package warning repeatedly when installing the nvidia-tesla-470 driver. I had successfully reinstalled but still the problem remains as demonstrated in the ouput of inxi -G.

I have spent a few days working on this now and have read more forum posts and tried this and that. I will try to use the nvidia propietry driver at some stage however I would like to try to fix this so everything is working.

Here is some background:

CSM and Secure boot are disabled.

Both the graphics card and TV capture card are working well under the Windows installation on a different partition.

The TV capture card works on other machines.

Output of inxi -G

Code: Select all

Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti] 
  driver: nvidia v: 470.129.06 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: 
  loaded: nouveau,vesa unloaded: fbdev,modesetting 
  resolution: 640x480~73Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 11.0.1 256 bits) 
  v: 4.5 Mesa 20.3.5 
Output of lspci

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 06)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x16 Controller (rev 06)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Controller
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family ME Interface #1
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI Controller #2
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family HD Audio Controller
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev d0)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev d0)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev d0)
00:1c.6 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 7 (rev d0)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI Controller #1
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation H97 Chipset LPC Controller
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family SATA Controller [AHCI Mode]
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti] (rev a1)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GP107GL High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
03:00.0 PCI bridge: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1083/1085 PCIe to PCI Bridge (rev 04)
05:00.0 Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7164 (rev 81)
06:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Micron/Crucial Technology Device 540a (rev 01)
Neofetch:

_,met$$$$$gg.          ric@Desktop-Alpha 
    ,g$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$P.       ----------------- 
  ,g$$P"     """Y$$.".        OS: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullse 
 ,$$P'              `$$$.     Kernel: 5.10.0-16-amd64 
',$$P       ,ggs.     `$$b:   Uptime: 9 mins 
`d$$'     ,$P"'   .    $$$    Packages: 3592 (dpkg), 6 (flatp 
 $$P      d$'     ,    $$P    Shell: bash 5.1.4 
 $$:      $$.   -    ,d$$'    Resolution: 640x480 
 $$;      Y$b._   _,d$P'      DE: Cinnamon 4.8.6 
 Y$$.    `.`"Y$$$$P"'         WM: Mutter (Muffin) 
 `$$b      "-.__              WM Theme: cinnamon (Qogir-ubunt 
  `Y$$                        Theme: Sunrise-Light [GTK2/3] 
   `Y$$.                      Icons: Yaru [GTK2/3] 
     `$$b.                    Terminal: xfce4-terminal 
       `Y$$b.                 Terminal Font: Monospace 12 
          `"Y$b._             CPU: Intel i5-4690 (4) @ 3.900G 
sudo modprobe nvidia-driver:

modprobe: FATAL: Module nvidia-driver not found in directory /lib/modules/5.10.0-16-amd64
According to Synaptic it is installed.
When I try to install nvidia-tesla-470-driver via synaptic I get broken package warnings for nvidia-tesla-470-driver-bin.

And of course if I try to apply that error message comes up saying

Could not apply changes. Fix broken packages first
I have run a few different commands in dpkg and apt and neither programs have found any broken packages. This error only seems to come up when I try to install the Tesla driver. I have installed it via apt in terminal and came up with the following.

It looks to me that the module isn’t loading into the kernel likely because of the broken packages.

Can anyone get me get my graphics card back to full functionality with the 32 bit support required for some of the games I play. The capture card I will try to install later once I know how to soove this if it arises again just in case that was the cause.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Nvidia graphics driver problem

#2 Post by Aki »

Hello,

The output of inxi you sent shows you are currently using the nouveau kernel module for the nvidia graphic card.

You can find the instruction about installation of the proprietary nvidia driver here: https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsD ... 0.129.06-2

For the installlation of 32 bit nvidia libraries in a 64 bit Debian installation like yours, you can follow this instruction: https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsD ... bit_system

Please report a detailed copy of installation message errors, if any.

Remember not to mix packages from different linux distributions.
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

electroconvulsive

#3 Post by electroconvulsive »

Thanks Aki. I appreciate the help but the problem I am having is the module isn't loading. The drivers were properly installed as according to that guide as I have already followed those instructions. It was one of the first things I tried. According to the outputs above combined and considered you can see the driver isn't loading and Nouveau for some reason is loading in it's stead. The reason I supplied so much information was to avoid responses that I have already tried. I should have showed you my sources.list as well and you will see that contrb and nonfree were added before any of this started. As said It was all working at one point so something has gone wrong.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by Aki »

electroconvulsive wrote: 2022-08-09 09:37 Thanks Aki. I appreciate the help but the problem I am having is the module isn't loading.
My actual best “wild” guess for your issue is that you messed up your nvidia kernel driver installation (when you tried to build and install the kernel modules for the TV card).

Some items to check, if you haven’t already done it (you didn’t reported them in the first post):

1) Do the nvidia kernel modules (that you are trying to load with modprobe) exist in the file system under current kernel directory ?

2) Have you analyzed system logs / system journal to search for clues in messages from kernel / system services about graphics card initialization or graphic server startup ?

3) Have you searched in the log about nvidia kernel module build in /var/log ? What’s its content, if any ?

4) Have you checked the status of the package manager: have you ever installed packages from unofficial repositories / third part repositories in your Debian installation ?

5) Is the xserver-xorg-video-nvidia package installed ?

6) Have you installed the nvidia-detect package ? What’s the output of nvidia-detect ?
I have run a few different commands in dpkg and apt and neither programs have found any broken packages. This error only seems to come up when I try to install the Tesla driver. I have installed it via apt in terminal and came up with the following. It looks to me that the module isn’t loading into the kernel likely because of the broken packages.
7) May you post a full log of apt commands and outputs ? I cannot guess the specific error, but the nvidia-tesla kernel modules are not available for the 32 bit architecture you are interested in (see https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/nv ... 418-driver).

8) Have you checked if you activated the multi-arch support (for amd64 and i386 architectures) due to request of 32 bit support ?
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

electroconvulsive

#5 Post by electroconvulsive »

I ended up reinstalling because it was going to be resolved a lot quicker that way. Something went wrong with a make install for Video for Linux drivers as a part of the TV capture card I have which was also completely unnecessary as I have since found out.