Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

OK, I give, How do I connect my printer to the network for driverless printing.

Need help with peripherals or devices?
ferulebezel

OK, I give, How do I connect my printer to the network for driverless printing.

#1 Post by ferulebezel »

Some have seen my failed attempts to get my HP Laserjet Professional p1102w working. God knows what kind of residual crap is left from the failed attemtps and bad cleanup routines. The one from HP was certainly terrible.

Anyway I've resigned to try the network route. The problem is that the only instructions I've been able to find say to connect to my router via USB and install the USB drivers on the computer. I wouldn't even be thinking of a network installation if the driver USB installation worked in the first place.

San I make it work without the USB drivers?

How can I connect it to the network with no way to have it enter a uid and password?

How can I print without a driver?

Should I just give up and buy a printer from a less evil control freaky manufacturer?

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: OK, I give, How do I connect my printer to the network for driverless printing.

#2 Post by NFT5 »

I have an HP MFP M177fw connected to the network at home and exactly the same setup at work in the shop.

A very simple connection. Cat6 from router to a network switch which is, in turn connected by Cat6 to desktop, server, printer and a couple of spare cables for notebooks. The printer worked out of the box with Bullseye but I installed hplip anyway because it has some other features (toner level monitoring for one) that I find convenient. I'm using hplip 3.21.2. IIRC I had to install system-config-printer for the MATE installations but not for KDE Plasma, which did it for me.

The printer has a fixed IP address allocated by the router but that's not essential - just satisfies my OCD for orderliness. All other devices do need to be on the same network, but they are anyway so I have connectivity between them. I can print from any computer, tablet or even phones on the wi-fi. No specific uid or password necessary - just the IP address. The printer can be found from system-config-printer or from within the HP application. Either works.

After some less than memorable experiences with Samsung and Epson printers I wouldn't switch from HP which seems, to me, to have Linux support that's streets ahead.

ferulebezel

Re: OK, I give, How do I connect my printer to the network for driverless printing.

#3 Post by ferulebezel »

That doesn't help. I'd rather just go straight USB to the computer like I've done for years but something changed with debian or the HP proprietary driver installaton that causes it to fail.

flashydolphin8827

#4 Post by flashydolphin8827 »

I hsve had a good track record as it pertains to driverless printing with both Epson and hp more so Hp brcaus my parent had a network attached Hp multifunction printer for a long time an in recent years my ex and i have had great easy of use with epson as well for printing from our anddroid based phones and tablets, IMHO adding a switch can cause your network to become quite abit more noisier than just purchasing a nouter with en adequate number of ports on the lan side, this can also be achived by the use of a smart switch which allows for using the switch as an edge device or router.