Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Trying to clean my sytstem of hplip before another attempt at intalling my printer.

Need help with peripherals or devices?
ferulebezel

Trying to clean my sytstem of hplip before another attempt at intalling my printer.

#1 Post by ferulebezel »

I suspect a lot of my problems trying to install my HP Laserjet Professional p1102w were conflicts between the hplip from the repos and the latest from HP and HP not being consistent in recognizing sudoer as root equivalent..

I've decided to remove them entirely and try to use the CUPS web based method. What I discovered is that the script that comes with the HP package isn't very good at cleaning up and I don' think the synaptic one is either, seeing as there were still a bunch of hplip### drivers listed. and none that aren't hplip. I went and used synaptic to remove anything that came up with "hplip" in the search and tried the cups installation again. Now there were few hp printers listed at all, so progress, kind of.

After that I looked around for files and directories with "hplip" in their names and found

Code: Select all

/etc/dbus-1/system.d/com.hp.hplip.conf
/etc/sane.d/dll.d/hplip
/usr/share/hal/fdi/preprobe/10osvendor/20-hplip-devices.fdi
/var/cache/apt/archives/hplip-data_3.21.2+dfsg1-2_all.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/hplip_3.21.2+dfsg1-2_amd64.deb
/var/lib/dpkg/info/hplip.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/hplip.postrm
Is is safe to just manually delete them?

NorthEast

Re: Trying to clean my sytstem of hplip before another attempt at intalling my printer.

#2 Post by NorthEast »

I'd approach this by finding all the files in the package you want to remove with: apt-file list <pkg>, so that you know what's there, then use the apt remove and purge commands to remove the package and it's config files. Knowing the list, then it's easy to check if anything has been left. There may not be, so I'd do all that first.

ferulebezel

Re: Trying to clean my sytstem of hplip before another attempt at intalling my printer.

#3 Post by ferulebezel »

Two problems: I don't remember which packages I removed and some might be from the hplip-3.22.6.run package with the shitty cleanup script.

L_V

#4 Post by L_V »

You can try this

apt purge hplip
find /etc /var -name 'hplip*' -type f  -delete
apt install hplip policykit-1

jmgibson1981

#5 Post by jmgibson1981 »

I was turned on to the program cruft. Install it from the repos. In this case I would run the command like this.

sudo cruft >> ~/Downloads/cruftlog
Then grep it.

grep hplip ~/Downloads/cruftlog
That should get you everything with that name at least which is most likely everything it did.