Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 11 randomly unable to print on remote CUPS server

Need help with peripherals or devices?
vincen

Debian 11 randomly unable to print on remote CUPS server

#1 Post by vincen »

Hi

Here is the configuration. I have an Oki Laser B411D plugged by USB on a Pi0 The Pi is running raspbian 10 with CUPS since a yearr.
My laptop that is still running Ubuntu can print to it without any problem ! The printer shows up automatically in Ubuntu and no setup needed and it has always been like that with all my Ubuntu computers.
My colleague who runs Linux Mint is all good too and even his VM running Windows prints on it without any problems.
Since I migrated my desktop from Ubuntu to Debian 11 it's a permanent problem. My desktop sees the printer and adds it without problem. Print is just random, sometimes it prints few times and then fails sometimes it fails straight from start of my desktop computer. When it fails the print job on desktop just disappears without errors !
on cups server, I have that when printing fails:

Code: Select all

E [06/Aug/2022:17:00:33 +0200] [Client 1088] Unable to encrypt connection: No supported cipher suites have been found.
Have done quite a few search about it but nothing thet solves my problem :( Two questions:

-> why it fails randomly ? if it's a configuration problem it should be there all time no ?
-> how to solve that problem that I have only with Debian ?

Thanks

Vincèn

Segfault

Re: Debian 11 randomly unable to print on remote CUPS server

#2 Post by Segfault »

I looked up and this printer is network capable. For last 20 years I have avoided purchasing printers which have no network option. All kind of forums are full of people struggling with USB connected printers and sharing them on network. Can someone please explain the mystery, why should anyone want to complicate their life with USB printing?

vincen

#3 Post by vincen »

Segfault wrote: 2022-09-30 13:42 I looked up and this printer is network capable. For last 20 years I have avoided purchasing printers which have no network option. All kind of forums are full of people struggling with USB connected printers and sharing them on network. Can someone please explain the mystery, why should anyone want to complicate their life with USB printing?
Because we are multiple users for it so I need to share it in a way or an other and that one was the easiest one and it worked during years when I was using Ubuntu, problem showed up when I switched at Debian but I don't find out why :(

bin

#4 Post by bin »

I use a 20 year old Laserjet 1010. It is not a network printer, so It is connected via USB to a TPLink USB Print server with a fixed IP address hanging off the router.
Used by me, my wife and a couple of VMs it is OK 99% of the time. Occasionally prints just fail.
On every occasion it is because the USB connection has not been made. Sometimes it goes weeks without being used. A hard restart of the Print server (pull the power) clears it and it carries on working.
I disable cups-browsed and configure manually via Appsocket/HPJetDirect port 9100 and that has always been the most reliable way of doing it.
As I recall Ubuntu uses avahi (bonjour) which is not a default in Debian (may be irrelevant). Does the printer broadcast? I'm guessing it may well do. Could you disable that and used a fixed IP address?

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

This looks like a problem with security protocols. These protocols change over time - newer, more secure versions are introduced, and older versions are deprecated, removed or disabled in upgrades of an OS. It is possible older printers may not get updates to protocols and may require a protocol that is deprecated, disabled or removed. As the printer works occasionally, the protocol is there, but there may be some inconsistency in configuration that is causing problems.

Check encryption settings in the printer. I don't know if the information in the following link applies to your printer, but there may be something similar. What protocols are available? Do you need encryption at all? Is this a private network? Are the TLS protocols available in your printer available/deprecated/enabled in Bullseye?

https://www.oki.com/printing/online-man ... 15588.html

What are the encryption policies in the Debian 10 machine and the Debian 11 machine? You may need to specify an older protocol if this is what is available on the printer. This may result in a more consistent connection.

Some information that may be useful.

https://www.cups.org/doc/encryption.html
TLS and SSL contain several different protocol versions and utilize many different encryption cipher suites. In any particular connection between a client and a server, the two endpoints will agree on both a protocol and cipher to use for that particular connection. As such, every client and server is configured to support a particular set of the available protocols and ciphers. In cases where there are no available protocols/ciphers that both the client and server support, an SSL handshake error will occur and the connection will not be established.
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2960967
SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) and its successor, TLS (Transport Layer Security), are protocols for establishing authenticated and encrypted links between networked computers. Although the SSL protocol was deprecated with the release of TLS 1.0 in 1999, it is still common to refer to these related technologies as “SSL” or “SSL/TLS.” The most current version is TLS 1.3, defined in RFC 8446 (August 2018).
https://www.ssl.com/faqs/faq-what-is-ssl/