Debian Lenny Nvidia GeForce FX5200

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Message
Author
linuxbobelhead
Posts: 10
Joined: 2009-02-18 22:18

Debian Lenny Nvidia GeForce FX5200

#1 Post by linuxbobelhead »

Hi I'm using Debian Lenny and a Nvidia GeForce FX5200 graphics card through pci and every thing works fine except when I go to play games, then every thing slows down, or the game may not start at all.
I did some searches and see that I'd need some drivers and something to enable hardware acceleration.
I looked for the drivers on symatic and aptitude but I don't see the ones that every one talks about the nvidia-173, so what packages do I need to get going?
I need help. :(

logan
Posts: 269
Joined: 2008-03-29 18:09

#2 Post by logan »

nvidia-glx in lenny is v173.14.09, which will work for the FX5200.

http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

linuxbobelhead
Posts: 10
Joined: 2009-02-18 22:18

#3 Post by linuxbobelhead »

I'v given that a go and it will not configure.
I think I need to manuly configure X.
Any help?

mase
Posts: 362
Joined: 2008-06-18 07:38

#4 Post by mase »

There is a tool called nvidia-xconfig.

Execute that as root and it will configure X for you.

You have to restart X after that.

linuxbobelhead
Posts: 10
Joined: 2009-02-18 22:18

#5 Post by linuxbobelhead »

mase wrote:There is a tool called nvidia-xconfig.

Execute that as root and it will configure X for you.

You have to restart X after that.
I tryed it but no luck it's saying it failed.
I use Xfree so I will do an edit on my own.
Section "Device"
Identifier "Device[0]"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce FX 5200"
Will that work?

mase
Posts: 362
Joined: 2008-06-18 07:38

#6 Post by mase »

Could work, but I wonder why nvidia-xconfig failed.

What is the exact error message?

User avatar
comsparks
Posts: 53
Joined: 2007-08-16 03:13

#7 Post by comsparks »

I have a 6200 and this is how I got mine to work. Logged on as ROOT. Go to Nvidia and download NVIIDIA-Linux-x86-180.29-pkg1.run and put it in /usr/src. Then go to
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/how-to-ins ... ian-lenny/
Open Terminal and follow steps 2,3,4,6 and 7 and below. Mine came right up and works great.

P.S. Don't forget to substitute the NVIIDIA-Linux-x86-180.29-pkg1.run with the one in step 7.

Enjoy!
:D

linuxbobelhead
Posts: 10
Joined: 2009-02-18 22:18

#8 Post by linuxbobelhead »

It still failed saying,
(II) Module Nvidia not found.
(EE) NVIDIA failed to load the nvidia kernel module.
(EE) NVIDIA *** aborting ***
(EE) Screens found but none have a usable configuration.
Fatal Server Error:
No screens found.

And
comsparks wrote:I have a 6200 and this is how I got mine to work. Logged on as ROOT. Go to Nvidia and download NVIIDIA-Linux-x86-180.29-pkg1.run and put it in /usr/src. Then go to
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/how-to-ins ... ian-lenny/
Open Terminal and follow steps 2,3,4,6 and 7 and below. Mine came right up and works great.

P.S. Don't forget to substitute the NVIIDIA-Linux-x86-180.29-pkg1.run with the one in step 7.

Enjoy!
:D
This failed to.

mase
Posts: 362
Joined: 2008-06-18 07:38

#9 Post by mase »

You need the nvidia kenrel module.

Normal that would be installed with nvidia-glx.

Can you post the output of:

Code: Select all

aptitude search nvidia-kernel
and

Code: Select all

uname -r

thriftee
Posts: 123
Joined: 2009-01-29 03:14

Re: Debian Lenny Nvidia GeForce FX5200

#10 Post by thriftee »

linuxbobelhead wrote:Hi I'm using Debian Lenny and a Nvidia GeForce FX5200 graphics card through pci and every thing works fine except when I go to play games, then every thing slows down, or the game may not start at all.
I did some searches and see that I'd need some drivers and something to enable hardware acceleration.
I looked for the drivers on symatic and aptitude but I don't see the ones that every one talks about the nvidia-173, so what packages do I need to get going?
I need help. :(
If you don't see the nvidia drivers it might be because your /ext/apt/sources.list don't have contrib and non-free added yet. If that's the case, after adding them you need to do an

apt-get update

to get them added to the list of packages you see with apt-get or synaptic. Personally, I thought it was easier to temporarily run the x-windows vesa or nv driver so I could use synaptic in x-windows to install the nvidia drivers instead of doing it by hand as the wiki shows or doing it with the nvidia .run package.
Last edited by thriftee on 2009-02-26 15:39, edited 1 time in total.
Too many computers to list. I wonder if there is a moral in there somewhere?

didi
Posts: 909
Joined: 2007-12-04 16:26
Location: the Netherlands

#11 Post by didi »

Do you have a Section "Screen" in your xorg.conf?

Might as well post your whole /etc/X11/xorg.conf file ...
thriftee wrote:If you don't see the nvidia drivers it might be because your /ext/apt/sources.list don't have contrib and non-free added yet.
He already has that, otherwise he couldn't install nvidia-xconfig ;)
Testing (server) + Unstable (workstation) 32-bit on AMD Athlon64 X2

thriftee
Posts: 123
Joined: 2009-01-29 03:14

#12 Post by thriftee »

didi wrote:Do you have a Section "Screen" in your xorg.conf?

Might as well post your whole /etc/X11/xorg.conf file ...
thriftee wrote:If you don't see the nvidia drivers it might be because your /ext/apt/sources.list don't have contrib and non-free added yet.
He already has that, otherwise he couldn't install nvidia-xconfig ;)
hmmm, ok, but if that's true, then why couldn't he see the nvidia-glx or nvidia-settings in synaptic?

looks to me like nvidia-xconfig has a little red debian symbol next to it

no expert here....
Last edited by thriftee on 2009-02-26 15:50, edited 1 time in total.
Too many computers to list. I wonder if there is a moral in there somewhere?

didi
Posts: 909
Joined: 2007-12-04 16:26
Location: the Netherlands

#13 Post by didi »

Read the rest of the thread, not just the first post ;)
Testing (server) + Unstable (workstation) 32-bit on AMD Athlon64 X2

linuxbobelhead
Posts: 10
Joined: 2009-02-18 22:18

#14 Post by linuxbobelhead »

# aptitude search nvidia-kernel
v nvidia-kernel-173.14.09 -
i A nvidia-kernel-2.6.26-1-686 - NVIDIA binary kernel module for Linux 2.6.
i A nvidia-kernel-common - NVIDIA binary kernel module common files
i nvidia-kernel-source - NVIDIA binary kernel module source

# uname -r
2.6.27.7-debian-lenny

Original xorg.conf
# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us,gb,de,it"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

mase
Posts: 362
Joined: 2008-06-18 07:38

#15 Post by mase »

Ah, so you installed your own kernel..

In this case i suggest to do the following:

Remove all nvidia- packages with aptitude.

Then use sgfxi to install the nvidia driver:

Get it like this:

Code: Select all

cd /usr/local/bin;wget -Nc smxi.org/sgfxi;chmod +x sgfxi
Stop the display manager:

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/gdm stop
Login as root and then start the script:

Code: Select all

sgfxi
That should install the nvidia driver and configure X correctly.

didi
Posts: 909
Joined: 2007-12-04 16:26
Location: the Netherlands

#16 Post by didi »

I think your best bet is to follow the HOW-TO: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=10812

Be sure to clean up everything wrt installing the .run stuff from nvidia.com before going ahead with the HOW-TO and also uninstall nvidia-kernel-2.6.26-1-686, since that's meant for a kernel you don't have.
Testing (server) + Unstable (workstation) 32-bit on AMD Athlon64 X2

linuxbobelhead
Posts: 10
Joined: 2009-02-18 22:18

#17 Post by linuxbobelhead »

Tryed sgfxi

Error: (224) your system is missing the required kernel headre package: Linux-he,
and it is not available in apt. Cannot continue.
Update the kernel and kernel headers or find and install kernel headers for...
I didn't get the whole message but thats it I think.
what now?

didi
Posts: 909
Joined: 2007-12-04 16:26
Location: the Netherlands

#18 Post by didi »

Code: Select all

aptitude install kernel-headers-$(uname -r)
Will install the kernel headers for your current kernel (uname -r).
I have no experience with those sgfxi scripts, but you probably have to set the appropriate GCC versions with:

Code: Select all

export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.1
before you start them
Testing (server) + Unstable (workstation) 32-bit on AMD Athlon64 X2

linuxbobelhead
Posts: 10
Joined: 2009-02-18 22:18

#19 Post by linuxbobelhead »

didi wrote:

Code: Select all

aptitude install kernel-headers-$(uname -r)
Will install the kernel headers for your current kernel (uname -r).
I have no experience with those sgfxi scripts, but you probably have to set the appropriate GCC versions with:

Code: Select all

export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.1
before you start them
I hav gcc-4.3 installed so do I use

Code: Select all

export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.3
?

didi
Posts: 909
Joined: 2007-12-04 16:26
Location: the Netherlands

#20 Post by didi »

linuxbobelhead wrote:I hav gcc-4.3 installed so do I use

Code: Select all

export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.3
?
No, if you needed that version you wouldn't have to do anything, look at /usr/bin/gcc and you'll see it's linked to gcc-4.3.

The issue is that the kernel is compiled with gcc-4.1 (have no idea why though) and since you're going to compile things against your kernel, you need to use the same gcc version of it, which is gcc-4.1.
Using that export command will (temporarily) set it to gcc-4.1
Testing (server) + Unstable (workstation) 32-bit on AMD Athlon64 X2

Post Reply