need help with TV for ATI All-In-Wonder 800XL

Need help with peripherals or devices?
lm8

need help with TV for ATI All-In-Wonder 800XL

#1 Post by lm8 »

I've been researching articles all over the web on trying to get a TV display for my ATI All-In-Wonder 800XL PCI-Express card. It works fine in Windows. Have no idea how to view TV shows successfully under Linux. I've tried downloading the packages from Debian Squeeze repository for Gatos and V4L. I've tried creating an xorg.conf file and adding entries like drm and v4l to it. There was no xorg.conf on my system so I switched to single user mode and ran Xorg -configure. Then I had to rename one of the drivers on the machine, because it crashed Xorg when I ran the configure switch. Finally managed to get an xorg.conf that shows the Xorg radeon driver is in use. When I run Gatos programs, it says it can't find my card. When I run V4L programs, it says it can't find /dev/video0. I tried following some information elsewhere to mkdev and create a /dev/video0 entry. That didn't work. I checked dmesg for which device was my video device and it looks like it's /dev/fb0 (radeon driver and framebuffer). I tried creating a ln from /dev/fb0 to /dev/video0. That also didn't work.

I'm at a total loss as to how to get TV working under Linux and I'm unable to find any step by step instructions that have worked with my installation. Any help on getting TV to operate properly under Linux would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

lm8

Re: need help with TV for ATI All-In-Wonder 800XL

#2 Post by lm8 »

Still not working, but hopefully I'm making progress. There's information on the card here http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/A ... CI_Express
I added Load "V4L" and Load "Theatre" in the Xorg.conf and it seems to be getting further than it did before. I tried Load "Theatre_Detect" and that seems to fail, but Load "Theatre" by itself works. Helps to copy C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ativmc20.cod to /usr/lib/xorg/modules/multimedia/rt2_pmem.bin
Still not able to get a TV program up and displaying TV, but am getting closer to trying to get all the needed drivers installed. If anyone runs across other tips on this, please share.