Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

can't run make on Debian box

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
ShadwSrch

can't run make on Debian box

#1 Post by ShadwSrch »

I am getting an error message that make is not an internal command...

I have found the virtual package c-compiler, but I am not sure how to find the name of a specific Debian package to run apt-get to install...any suggestions?

I have installed Debian Etch with no options selected for the standard group of packages...I am trying to get a lean install...

I want to have a box that will run ASSP and Shorewall...(I have not gotten to Shorewall yet)...I am trying to install the Perl modules needed for ASSP...

I need Compress::Zlib, and I can't seem to install it with CPAN...I thought I read somewhere that you need Compress::Zlib to use the CPAN shell...can someone confirm this?

I need to install the following packages before I can install Compress::Zlib--->
Compress::Raw::Zlib
IO::Compress::Gzip
(according to this: http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/htdocs/Compres ... EADME.html)

I have downloaded and burned to CD all of the .tar.gz files for those 3 and Bundle::CPAN. I can run Makefile.PL, but when I try to make them, I get the -bash: make: not an internal command error....(it might be worded a little different...I cant look at it right now...

I ran this before running into these problems:
#apt-get install perl-modules

When I do perl ver, it says I have 5.8.8

ShadwSrch

I think I got it figgured out

#2 Post by ShadwSrch »

I don't have a lot of time logged on a Linux box at this point...

I did a re-install, and I chose the "standard system" option...(the last one)

I expected it to run aspect like in the Sarge install, but it didn't...I can now install Compress::Zlib with cpan, though....

Any information on the original question would still be appreciated, but my immediate problem is solved...

brain

#3 Post by brain »

ShadwSrch wrote:but I am not sure how to find the name of a specific Debian package to run apt-get to install...any suggestions?
You can use the command apt-cache to search for packages.

Code: Select all

brain@hammerfall:~$ apt-cache search compress zlib perl
libarchive-tar-perl - Archive::Tar - manipulate tar files in perl
libcompress-zlib-perl - Perl module for creation and manipulation of gzip files
The above shows that you don't really need to use CPAN if you don't want. Many Perl modules are already packaged by Debian. As for the make utility:

Code: Select all

brain@hammerfall:~$ apt-cache search make|grep ^"make "
make - The GNU version of the "make" utility.