Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Question about building shadow package on Debian

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
stevepusser

Re: Question about building shadow package on Debian

#16 Post by stevepusser »

Why can't you paste the build output showing what's going with the patches, then? Like I can?
MX Linux packager and developer

p_linux

Re: Question about building shadow package on Debian

#17 Post by p_linux »

Hi,

I think I found the solution.

I didn't think of using "strings" to check the contents of the binary, I validated or not the good functioning of my binary with "strace".
This allowed me to see that my modified string (/etc/test/passwd) was present in the binary compiled.

I also noticed that the binary compiled "by hand" didn't load the PAM module during the build unlike the build done with "debuild".
After some research, I saw that these same absolute paths (/etc/{passwd, shadow}) are also present in the shared libraries of the libpam-modules package :

Code: Select all

$ strings /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/security/pam_* | grep "shadow\|passwd"
I think that's why the hand-compiled binary works, because it doesn't use the paths present in the shared libraries.
The "strace" of the binary made with debuild always returns the old paths (/etc/{passwd, shadow}) because they are overloaded by the PAM module.

The solution is to also recompile the libpam-modules package, but it's a complex solution because the modifications are not easiest (code + dependencies).

Thanks for your help.
P.