[NO SOLUTION] Want to remove "did you mean" clauses

Programming languages, Coding, executables, and scripting.
Caitlin

[NO SOLUTION] Want to remove "did you mean" clauses

#1 Post by Caitlin »

I was compiling a C++ program when I got the following message:

/home/user/src9/TimeTest.c: 25:5: warning: implicit declaration of function 'usleep'; did you mean 'fseek'? [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]

I obviously DID NOT MEAN FSEEK. I would like to suppress, once and forever, any part of any message beginning with "did you mean". Any "did you mean" is simply annoying, especially if I misspelled or mistyped something and the suggested replacement is correct.

While I'm at it, I would also like to suppress any part of any compiler message begining with "Note:", as in "Note: foo is defined in bar.h, line 34". That's annoying too.

Perhaps a compiler option or a pragma?

(I fixed the error by adding an additional #include but I'm really asking about suppressing the "did you mean"?)

Caitlin
Last edited by Caitlin on 2021-05-30 19:31, edited 1 time in total.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

Re: Want to remove "did you mean" clauses

#2 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

Caitlin wrote:/home/user/src9/TimeTest.c: 25:5: warning: implicit declaration of function 'usleep'; did you mean 'fseek'? [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
I'm afraid to ask what was the code which have triggered that warning... (I remember Your last "solution" from Your previous topic) ;)

But seriously:
The "Implicit function declaration" should trigger an error by default, not a warning - this is IMO a GCC bug, because for such functions the GCC is inserting an asm code which just returns *zero* -> this is dangerous, and IMO You should use:

Code: Select all

-Werror=implicit-function-declaration
for each of Your projects.

I have to completely disagree that compiler messages like this are "annoying":

Note: foo is defined in bar.h, line 34
that kind of messages is very useful for detecting incorrect order of included headers or re-definitions of some keywords/symbols.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

Caitlin

#3 Post by Caitlin »

(Sigh) the line of code that triggered the error was

usleep(2400000);
I make it a point to leave out those sections of code that I consider to be not relevant to solving my problem.

And I'm not saying I want NO warning at all if there's no declaration for the function; I just want to suppress the "note:" part.

It seems to me there should be an option to turn notes on or off.

But more than that, I still want to suppress any "did you mean"s.

Caitlin

reinob

#4 Post by reinob »

I assume you have read the relevant documentation, and noticed that no such option exists.

So you have the following options, namely you:
1. ignore those "did you mean" comments ;-)
2. use another compiler (clang, though I hear clang is quite verbose/helpful in its warnings..)
3. report it as a bug (https://gcc.gnu.org/bugs/), and hope for the best..
4. download, patch as appropriate, and compile gcc.

Other than that, there's nothing forum members here can do about it..

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#5 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

^
5. Try to write clean code, don't try to cheat the compiler -> compilers are stupid, and it's very easy to confuse them. Confused compiler can do strange things ... ;)

Regarding the "usleep" function and the "Did You mean fseek?" phenomenon:
It looks like a result of a clash in the hash tables, resulting from earlier errors in the code, like unterminated macro calls/definitions, missing semicolons etc.
Most of such strange warnings can be avoided with -Wfatal-errors directive, which stops the compiler on first error, so it does not try to parse the rest of (possibly malformed) source code.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

VentGrey

Re: [NO SOLUTION] Want to remove "did you mean" clauses

#6 Post by VentGrey »

Might be a little bit late but yes, it is not possible to remove those warnings as those are hardcoded onto gcc.

https://gcc.gnu.org/git/?p=gcc.git;a=bl ... f4ef#l3297
I would exchange everything I know in exchange for half of what I don't.