Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Python ensurepip disabled

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
andro

Python ensurepip disabled

#1 Post by andro »

Why is ensurepip disabled?

Code: Select all

$ python -m ensurepip
ensurepip is disabled in Debian/Ubuntu for the system python.
I don't want a workaround for this, I want to know why. I cant find an explanation or justification for this anywhere. This stops the emacs elpy package from working correctly, and I dont want to hack that to make it work. All pointers appreciated.

And yes, I have installed python3-venv - makes no difference.

What does it even mean to say it is disabled for the system python? How is it disabled? By what means?

Debian 11.
Last edited by andro on 2021-08-28 14:57, edited 1 time in total.

arzgi

Re: Python ensurepip disabled

#2 Post by arzgi »

python (v. 2) support was removed from Buster.

Python's EOL was in 2020. Only python3 is supported.

andro

Re: Python ensurepip disabled

#3 Post by andro »

Thanks. I know. On my system python is linked to /usr/bin/python3.9. Same problem exists if I specify python3.

However, I have now found the ensurepip module code and the 'disabled' message is coming from there - its a check to see you are running in a venv. And indeed, running in a venv works.

So my actual issue devolves into why is elpy not working properly - seems there is something wrong with the emacs setup I have.