Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What is the proper way to get external repositories into a downloaded tarball?

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
MultiplexLayout

What is the proper way to get external repositories into a downloaded tarball?

#1 Post by MultiplexLayout »

When I download a tarball from a git repository's Releases page, they do not have directories like "External" and "3rdparty" included. Also, the .git directory is nearly empty, or nonexistent. When I try to "git submodule update --init --recursive" I get "Not a git repository." When I run "git init" and then "git submodule update --init --recursive", nothing happens. The tarballs have a .gitmodules file, I just don't know how to get git to use it.

So my question is: How is a user supposed to get external repositories when downloading a .tar.xz archive?

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: What is the proper way to get external repositories into a downloaded tarball?

#2 Post by Aki »

MultiplexLayout wrote: 2022-08-18 22:41 So my question is: How is a user supposed to get external repositories when downloading a .tar.xz archive?
I think the only way is to have a text file (e.g. a readme) with git repositories address.
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

L_V

Re: What is the proper way to get external repositories into a downloaded tarball?

#3 Post by L_V »

MultiplexLayout wrote: 2022-08-18 22:41 So my question is: How is a user supposed to get external repositories when downloading a .tar.xz archive?
I wonder if you are not mixing source and compiled binary by referring to git.

For a binary, I see 3 possibilities:
* if a correct readme file is included, information is probably available
* if the binary already exists in Debian repo, simulate its installation and see what apt is requesting
* if totally new in the system, ldd should help to identify missing libraries

Code: Select all

ldd <direct path)>/new_application

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#4 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

The user is supposed to use a verified and trusted code which can be found in the Debian repositories. If some user want to use untested/experimental code, then he is becoming responsible for all the activity needed to deploy his solution on a Debian system (an universal OS) - this is possible, but recommended only for professional users.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

MultiplexLayout

#5 Post by MultiplexLayout »

L_V wrote: 2022-08-19 17:06
I wonder if you are not mixing source and compiled binary by referring to git.

For a binary, I see 3 possibilities:
* if a correct readme file is included, information is probably available
* if the binary already exists in Debian repo, simulate its installation and see what apt is requesting
* if totally new in the system, ldd should help to identify missing libraries

Code: Select all

ldd <direct path)>/new_application
I'm referring to pages like this one, where there are a bunch of releases with "Source Code (tar.xz) links.

L_V

#6 Post by L_V »

https://github.com/citra-emu/citra/wiki ... -For-Linux
Deb: apt install qtbase5-dev libqt5opengl5-dev qtmultimedia5-dev
You may also need apt install libqt5multimedia5-plugins to get the camera working

Optional dependencies needed for HLE AAC Decoding on Linux
FDK-AAC
apt install libfdk-aac-dev

FFMPEG 4.0+
apt install ffmpeg libswscale-dev libavformat-dev libavcodec-dev libavdevice-dev

GCC 7.0+.
apt install build-essential

Clang 5.0+
apt install clang clang-format libc++-dev

CMake 3.8+
apt install cmake