Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is there a program/script that could replace my build scripts

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
LE_746F6D617A7A69

Re: Is there a program/script that could replace my build scripts

#21 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

larienna wrote: 2022-09-25 15:44 Another annoying thing in cmake is the need to specify each .c file manually.
I don't agree - such requirement is good, because it forces the programmer to be strict in what he is going to do.
linuxCowboy wrote: 2022-09-25 18:17 Wikipedia:
"GNOME has made it a goal to port its projects to Meson. As of late 2017, GNOME Shell itself exclusively requires Meson after abandoning Autotools
The Gnome project (RedHat) is an example of how to *not* write a code - they are violating even their own API specifications every single release. But foremost, this is meaningless in the context of my previous post - i.e. gnome has very simple dependencies, like mutter, x11 and cairo.

Regards
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

larienna

#22 Post by larienna »

I finally completed the Meson tutorial. Let just say there was a lot of dependencies to deal with as my computer software is too old. I had to build a more recent version of Python. I had some issues with pip on the way. Then I had to get ninja, which was again too old with my distro, so I managed to download the binaries and it surprisingly worked.

Next step would be to convert a small project of mine which has the complete CI process with Cmake. I just hope it will not be as problematic to install Meson on a remote server for the GitlabCI.

I'll see if in the end, I'll need a perl script for the various task. Or maybe the script will be smaller.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#23 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

larienna wrote: 2022-09-26 19:30 I had to build a more recent version of Python. I had some issues with pip on the way. Then I had to get ninja, which was again too old with my distro, so I managed to download the binaries and it surprisingly worked.
I've already mentioned this - one of the most important differences between Autotools and other "modern?" build systems is that autotools creates project-specific version of build script, that is the "configure" script -> You don't have to install latest autotools version to build the project - all You need is just the shell ;)

I would say, that in these days the "progress" term have changed its meaning ...

Anyway, I wish You luck.

Regards
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."

larienna

#24 Post by larienna »

Not sure if building Python3 by myself is the source of my problem, but cinnamon now boot on a black screen. I need to use the software rendering to make it work so far. I guess I'll have to investigate more.

Anyways, one interesting feature I found in Meson, is the WrapDB system. It basically download dependencies a bit like Maven. One of the advantage I can see is for cross compiling. For example, I had some issue in a project to make the cross-compilation CI works. It required Allegro 4 and Sqlite, but if I install those dependencies with apt-get, it will not make the libraries available for mingw. So mingw cannot find the library.

So I would need to build those libraries myself and store the artifacts somewhere to reuse them in my cross-compilation CI. But with WarpDB, if the library is available in their database, it should download the Mingw version for their database. I checked their list, they have Sqlite, but not Allegro 4.

So it has some potential.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#25 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

larienna wrote: 2022-09-28 03:56 So I would need to build those libraries myself and store the artifacts somewhere to reuse them in my cross-compilation CI. But with WarpDB, if the library is available in their database, it should download the Mingw version for their database.
... and what if the library available in those "repositories" is not up to date? - like f.e. it doesn't include the latest security patches?

... In such case, You're just sentenced to release an unreliable code, which can't be trusted - because You can't test it (having to rely on a binary code of some external library)

Regards

larienna

#26 Post by larienna »

In fact, it can be the opposite, they might be more likely to build libraries as it gets updated as I personally never update anything (I have an anti-update policy to avoid for example what have just happened to my graphic card recently. I'll have to make another thread about it)

Nevertheless, Allegro 4 does not get updated anymore as new dev are made on Allegro 5 and Sqlite is mostly stable.

jmgibson1981

#27 Post by jmgibson1981 »

The advice against using bash is because it's memory-intensive, slow and very buggy with a metric sh*t-tonne of edge cases and special rules. There's even a site to check for problems because it's so difficult to code cleanly using bash.
I suppose I should have indicated a slight sarcasm. Admittely though my point is if it's all you know and can use, then do whatever one wants. Doesn't mean it's a good idea but it will work. Like driving a nail with a rock. It can be done but a proper nail gun or hammer makes a world of difference.