Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Why do you use debian?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
khelben1979

Re: Why do you use debian?

#61 Post by khelben1979 »

Because it's the best one out there, in my opinion. I really like Debian!
HP ENVY x360 15-ee0013no

DavidMcCann

#62 Post by DavidMcCann »

I've just converted from Fedora, whose six-monthly release left me feeling like a mouse in an exercise wheel. It was a choice between Debian and CentOS, and I suspected that Debian would have more support, if less familiarity. So far there have been a few alarms and excursions, but nothing insoluble (says he, crossing his fingers and touching wood!)

SunSpyda

#63 Post by SunSpyda »

I use it because, sometimes, OpenBSD's compatibility can be annoying. And Debian is a very compatible distro - You gotta love Apt and the large masses of packages available. I need VMware, Opera, Flash, and other things that are to painful to setup up on OpenBSD - I just haven't got the time.

Also, it contained the libs, compilers and other development tools I needed. Not to mention all the libraries I use on OpenBSD are on Debian, and work equally. Being able to compile a massive source code on a fresh Debian install, that was written for OpenBSD without modification is great.

OK, so any standards-following Linux distro can do that. Why Debian? Stability, reliability, neat package system, secure, fast, not bloated on non-default install. I use the stable branch, and it hasn't crashed ONCE yet, unless I screwed with something without the knowledge.

Red Hat derived distros? Too bloated, even on minimalistic install. I would use SLES for commercial stuff - which actually derived from Slackware, not Red Hat, contrary to belief.

Slackware derived distros? Aren't quite as stable as Debian - Or maybe Debian supported my H/W better - I don't know.

Arch? Yes, if it wasn't as bleeding edge. I prefer out-of-date stability to brand-new testing stuff. So Debian trumped Arch on this one for me. If I wanted a bleeding edge machine, Arch all the way.

More 'polished' Debian derivatives? Just seem like Debian with a load of junk stapled onto it - no thanks. But I can see why Ubuntu attracts newbies - it is very easy. Just because something is easy, doesn't mean it is automatically a Window copy, you know :D

One more thing - Some SMP CPUs OpenBSD chokes on, even with the SMP kernel, so Debian is also appropriate there.

But admittedly, Debian comes into play only if OpenBSD fails me. But to be second-choice, Debian must be excellent, as I have Linux distro hopped for a long time.
Primary OS - OpenBSD Secondary OS - Debian GNU/Linux

captaink

#64 Post by captaink »

SunSpyda wrote: Why Debian? Stability, reliability, neat package system, secure, fast, not bloated on non-default install. I use the stable branch, and it hasn't crashed ONCE yet, unless I screwed with something without the knowledge.
For the same reasons I use debian stable.

Polaris96

#65 Post by Polaris96 »

1. I can't afford System V, Solaris or BSD. Ok, I probably could but they don't seem worth it.
2. People would snicker if I used System V today even if I owned a license and the kind of computer that fits in a large closet.
3. I dearly love my FreeBSD platform, but everything that was mentioned earlier about FreeBSD is true.
4. I run Xen debian stable, I have my cake n can eat it, too: watch this, FreeBSD in a keystroke :)
5. Debian based distros all do something that bends me up or makes me go "duh".
6. apt
7. Gentoo is the slickest. Really? I think it's like hamm time-warped into the 21st century and with pretensions of doing BSD.
8. No, that's wrong, because dpkg is still better than portage (opinion. If I felt different, I'd be on Gentoo's msgboard)
9 apt
10. Because Debian works so good I've never considered Fedora. No need for Bourbon when you like Scots.

But really it's because you're all here :) Where else would I be?
for as long as the world remains. for as long as time remains. so, too, will I remain. To serve. To help. And to make my contribution. Also, never forget our family at debianuserforums.org If we can't solve your problem, they probably can.

edbarx

#66 Post by edbarx »

Debian gave me the long lost thrill of using the CLI, and not only that, it also gave me an immense choice of CLI programs to play with.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

Zyke

#67 Post by Zyke »

Debian is my first Linux experience, so I'm sticking with it to the end ........or until Debian goes commercial. Even though it's not fast, Debian 5 is stable, secure, etc. My Debian system never crashed or freeze up! The best part is that Debian is versatile; it can be a stable server, desktop, etc or what ever your gonna use it for. That's is why i use Debian.

GOfree wrote:Ian Murdock started Debian with the right ideas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Murdock
In January of 1994, Murdock issued the " Debian Manifesto." Written in the spirit of Stallman's "GNU Manifesto" from a decade before, it explained the importance of working closely with the Free Software Foundation. Murdock wrote:

"The Free Software Foundation plays an extremely important role in the future of Debian. By the simple fact that they will be distributing it, a message is sent to the world that Linux is not a commercial product and that it never should be, but that this does not mean that Linux will never be able to compete commercially. For those of you who disagree, I challenge you to rationalize the success of GNU Emacs and GCC, which are not commercial software but which have had quite an impact on the commercial market regardless of that fact.

The time has come to concentrate on the future of Linux rather than on the destructive goal of enriching oneself at the expense of the entire Linux community and its future. The development and distribution of Debian may not be the answer to the problems that I have outlined in the Manifesto, but I hope that it will at least attract enough attention to these problems to allow them to be solved."
While some viewed descriptions of Linux as a "variant" of the GNU Project as politically grasping, Murdock, already sympathetic to the free software cause, saw Stallman's request to call Debian's version GNU/Linux as reasonable. "It was more for unity than for credit," he says.
Free as in Freedom (Chapter 10), http://oreilly.com/openbook/freedom/ch10.html
lol i have him as a my desktop background :)

sickie

#68 Post by sickie »

I hope it's not that picture xD
Too bad Ian has sold himself out and was even badmouthing Debian (around the time he joined with Sun). Though I don't know the details, it was some time ago and I wasn't in love with Debian at that time :)
:shock:

stilus

#69 Post by stilus »

It feels good to be back.
My-First-Linux was debian (potato or woody, can't remember).
Went with ubuntu for a while (because of their desktop efforts).
The craving for simplicity, stability and calm became to strong.
Happy to report my X61s runs purrrfect on debian AMD64 (with 64b flash and java, jay!)

Then, not two weeks later, I find out the X61s and Ubuntu Jaunty (9.04) AMD64 creates some problems.
Like putting-your-hand-into-a-blender-and-repeatedly-pushing-the-button "creates problems".
I found out installing my bosses laptop (4 times over, not including checking memory, fsck etc. etc.)...

Now two laptops are proudly running debian 5.0(2), with two to go!
Damn, it feels good to be back!
The world is a jungle in general, and the networking game contributes many animals. [Plummer, rfc826]

jackdaws

#70 Post by jackdaws »

Primarily, I searched out Debian and started using it for the same reasons that I got tired of using Microsoft. Debian is free. Microsoft isn't, unless you nick it, but even then you're tied into the great global rip-off. Even more importantly, Debian is committed to freedom. Microsoft enslaves people. (edit: allegedly - see below)
Secondly, Debian works at least as well as any other.
Thirdly, Debian isn't for burger-eating surrender morons who like everything on a plate, but neither is it for geeks with brains bigger than their monitors. So, anyone with an ounce of initiative can learn how to use it, and can feel they've achieved something in the process.
Fourthly, most of the people on this forum are nice. More specifically, they are generally more interested in helping out a fellow user than looking cool or clever.
Oh, and did I say that if the global anti-capitalist revolution is going to start anywhere, it will start by using Debian (edit: actually. I didn't say that - see below)
In summary, I haven't yet found any other operating system that works well, that is run by and for its users, whose most committed users aren't total pratts, and whose over-riding purpose for existing is to weaken the rich and strengthen the poor (imho - see below).
Vive la Revolution!
Last edited by jackdaws on 2009-08-20 00:14, edited 3 times in total.
Perfectionism is an imperfection

BioTube

#71 Post by BioTube »

jackdaws wrote:Oh, and did I say that if the global anti-capitalist revolution is going to start anywhere, it will start by using Debian.
I'd refrain from incendiary remarks in threads outside of Off Topic were I you.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

jackdaws

#72 Post by jackdaws »

Thanks for the advice. :oops:

PetrusValidus

#73 Post by PetrusValidus »

Stability, package selection/management, efficiency, support, flexibility, and because it's fun. :D

I distrohopped a bit before making it to Debian proper with Ubuntu 5.10 just prior to it. Also most RPM-based distros just don't cut it, with exceptions being SLED 11 and Mandriva. I think Novell did a great job in SLED 11 as a Windows-workstation replacement and I'm currently on my Mandriva box (soon to have Lenny on it) as I type this. I like Mandriva because it's a well-rounded desktop distro which is more mature and stable than Ubuntu.

I'm beginning to get annoyed with these distros that have six-month release cycles because they seem to have more bugs than usable features.
Petrus Validus

sir fer

#74 Post by sir fer »

I would have liked Madriva more if it didn't continuous lock-up my older laptop.

I use debian testing cos it's nearly as current as other 'bleeding edge' distros but s spitload more stable...have stable on a 500MHz AMD-K7 file server with a kustom kernel (2.6.30), IceWM and minimal apps (when needed). I like debian because the possibilty for mix'n'match is almost endless. Using testing with LXDE on this old laptop (~5yrs) is just a joy. 2.6.30 is uber fast and it starts up in ~25 seconds...almost as fast as a mac :mrgreen: hehe

PetrusValidus

#75 Post by PetrusValidus »

sir fer wrote:I would have liked Madriva more if it didn't continuous lock-up my older laptop.
Understandable. Their last release 2009.1 is great...but there are some interesting bugs which can really make or break using it.
I use debian testing cos it's nearly as current as other 'bleeding edge' distros but s spitload more stable...have stable on a 500MHz AMD-K7 file server with a kustom kernel (2.6.30), IceWM and minimal apps (when needed). I like debian because the possibilty for mix'n'match is almost endless. Using testing with LXDE on this old laptop (~5yrs) is just a joy. 2.6.30 is uber fast and it starts up in ~25 seconds...almost as fast as a mac :mrgreen: hehe
Yes, the mix'n'match possibilities with Debian are absolutely amazing. I must say that Debian is the distro that comes to mind when I think of Linux. Not Ubuntu, Gentoo, SUSE, or the others out there but just Debian.
Petrus Validus

Kevin Seise

#76 Post by Kevin Seise »

I switched my main desktop and server to Debian for the stability. I had been using Ubuntu for about 4 years, but the various updates were always breaking my system. I still keep an Ubuntu laptop around for fun, but Debian seems to be much more stable. There are a few issues to work around, but that is why I have joined the forums.

GOfree

#77 Post by GOfree »

Zyke wrote:Debian is my first Linux experience, so I'm sticking with it to the end ........or until Debian goes commercial. Even though it's not fast, Debian 5 is stable, secure, etc. My Debian system never crashed or freeze up! The best part is that Debian is versatile; it can be a stable server, desktop, etc or what ever your gonna use it for. That's is why i use Debian.

GOfree wrote:Ian Murdock started Debian with the right ideas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Murdock
In January of 1994, Murdock issued the " Debian Manifesto." Written in the spirit of Stallman's "GNU Manifesto" from a decade before, it explained the importance of working closely with the Free Software Foundation. Murdock wrote:

"The Free Software Foundation plays an extremely important role in the future of Debian. By the simple fact that they will be distributing it, a message is sent to the world that Linux is not a commercial product and that it never should be, but that this does not mean that Linux will never be able to compete commercially. For those of you who disagree, I challenge you to rationalize the success of GNU Emacs and GCC, which are not commercial software but which have had quite an impact on the commercial market regardless of that fact.

The time has come to concentrate on the future of Linux rather than on the destructive goal of enriching oneself at the expense of the entire Linux community and its future. The development and distribution of Debian may not be the answer to the problems that I have outlined in the Manifesto, but I hope that it will at least attract enough attention to these problems to allow them to be solved."
While some viewed descriptions of Linux as a "variant" of the GNU Project as politically grasping, Murdock, already sympathetic to the free software cause, saw Stallman's request to call Debian's version GNU/Linux as reasonable. "It was more for unity than for credit," he says.
Free as in Freedom (Chapter 10), http://oreilly.com/openbook/freedom/ch10.html
lol i have him as a my desktop background :)
I know. :)
Me too ;)
Attachments
IanMurdockKeynote2.jpg
IanMurdockKeynote2.jpg (90.33 KiB) Viewed 114143 times

GOfree

#78 Post by GOfree »

Debian... What a package!

The .deb package management system was the first thing that absolutely sold me on GNU/Linux by way of Ubuntu (Gutsy 7.10). Synaptic coupled with the vast store of software in the Debian repositories puts everything I need at my fingertips.

I came for the package management system of Ubuntu/Debian, but I stayed for the stability and integrity of Debian. I have only tried the latest version of Debian. Already I know... I could never love another.

Ian is such a hunk. ;)

Does anyone have a picture of Deb? I will bet she is a total babe. :)

Beautiful!

GOfree

#79 Post by GOfree »

Debian is the perfect marriage of power and simplicity.

GOfree

#80 Post by GOfree »

It is just so dam attractive. 8)