Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What's the problem with sudo apt-get update command ?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
edbarx

Re: What's the problem with sudo apt-get update command ?

#21 Post by edbarx »

My golden rule: do it the Debian way. After all, typing su and the root password is not too laborious for my fingers. :)
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

gnudude

#22 Post by gnudude »

okay, ubuntu does it a bit differently... (although the first user you setup is still a part of the admin group by default)

wide open sudo seems to defeat the purpose of sudo.....but feel free to use it that way....

Coco

#23 Post by Coco »

gnudude wrote:I hope your girlfriend doesn't sit at your machine and play around with commands like

sudo rm -rf /bin

then you will wish you hadn't configured sudo like that. :wink:
Unless his girlfriend knows his username password its not really a problem.

PS- I've gone the ubuntu route, installed sudo and disabled the root login as well. Its what I'm familiar with.

Edited - Spelling.
Last edited by Coco on 2009-08-29 01:55, edited 2 times in total.
"Giving the Linus Torvalds award to the Free Software Foundation is sort of like giving the Han Solo award to the Rebel Fleet." - Richard Stallman

My Libre.fm profile

Telemachus

#24 Post by Telemachus »

Coco wrote:PS- I've gone the ubuntu root, installed sudo and disabled the root login as well. Its what I'm familiar with.
I think you mean the Debian route (about root - perhaps).
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System

Coco

#25 Post by Coco »

Telemachus wrote:
Coco wrote:PS- I've gone the ubuntu root, installed sudo and disabled the root login as well. Its what I'm familiar with.
I'm pretty sure Debian doesn't disable root login by default (you can login as root by typing su). Ubuntu does so you can't login as root.
"Giving the Linus Torvalds award to the Free Software Foundation is sort of like giving the Han Solo award to the Rebel Fleet." - Richard Stallman

My Libre.fm profile

gnudude

#26 Post by gnudude »

I went the ubuntu route. I tied the gas pedal to the floor of my car and I left the keys in it... :lol:

jalu

#27 Post by jalu »

I'm pretty sure Debian doesn't disable root login by default (you can login as root by typing su). Ubuntu does so you can't login as root.
you can choose during installation (i`m not pretty sure. im sure. at least for the media i got laying around)

If by default you mean you gotta hit a tab once aint default no more, well: on that im not sure.

Coco

#28 Post by Coco »

gnudude wrote:I went the ubuntu route. I tied the gas pedal to the floor of my car and I left the keys in it... :lol:
Don't you think you're exaggerating a little bit.

My Libre.fm profile

julian67

#29 Post by julian67 »

Ubuntu's sudo doesn't let all and any users run commands with root privileges, it only allows the first created user to do this (or any user the first user adds to the admin group).

The reason jalu got no response to asking about enabling root account at ubuntuforums is that anyone who offered to help would get infracted, maybe even banned for doing so. In fact maybe people did offer help but were infracted/banned and the posts moved to the jail. ubuntuforums...It's such a nice place...the freedom OS with just a hint of authoritarian mania...or is it the other way around? What is odder still about their forum policy is that Ubuntu server edition's installer offers the choice to create regular and user accounts, as per Debian and most other UNIX-like OS, or you can do it the Ubuntu way and have root disabled and the first user gets sudo admin privileges. However, the admins/mods/toy-gods at ubuntuforums have decreed that nobody is allowed to advise on the merits, or otherwise, of either approach, nor on how to change from one method to the other. This is apparently something like heresy or apostacy.

Anyway to address the OP, the reason sudo isn't working as in Ubuntu is because Debian, in common with almost every GNU/Linux distro and BSDs and Solaris etc, doesn't use sudo that way. You create two accounts on install, one is the root account and one is the user account. You use the user account and when you need to do some admin with root privilege you switch to root, usually by using the command su, or by using su -c '<some_command>'

Ubuntu had quite a lot of difficulties and put a lot of work into getting stuff working with sudo where the creator of the script/application had expected it to be used by root. Using Ubuntu style sudo in Debian you may run into odd failures because those same changes haven't been made. This is especially true of applications which are essentially scripts, and also 3rd party applications, especially proprietary ones which you may not be able to modify. My bet is that eventually using sudo Ubuntu style will just prove too annoying.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

Coco

#30 Post by Coco »

julian67 wrote: Ubuntu had quite a lot of difficulties and put a lot of work into getting stuff working with sudo where the creator of the script/application had expected it to be used by root. Using Ubuntu style sudo in Debian you may run into odd failures because those same changes haven't been made. This is especially true of applications which are essentially scripts, and also 3rd party applications, especially proprietary ones which you may not be able to modify. My bet is that eventually using sudo Ubuntu style will just prove too annoying.
I disabled the root login using "passwd -l root" and rely solely on sudo. So do you recommend I re-enable root login? I haven't encountered any problems so far and I'm very comfortable and familiar with this setup.

My Libre.fm profile

Telemachus

#31 Post by Telemachus »

Coco wrote:
Telemachus wrote:
Yes, you see, you typed 'r-o-o-t' when you wanted 'r-o-u-t-e', so I was giving you a hard time. Carry on.
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."

Telemachus

#32 Post by Telemachus »

julian67 wrote:Ubuntu's sudo doesn't let all and any users run commands with root privileges, it only allows the first created user to do this (or any user the first user adds to the admin group).
Yup, we established this on page one of the thread.
julian67 wrote:The reason jalu got no response to asking about enabling root account at ubuntuforums is that anyone who offered to help would get infracted, maybe even banned for doing so. In fact maybe people did offer help but were infracted/banned and the posts moved to the jail. ubuntuforums...It's such a nice place...the freedom OS with just a hint of authoritarian mania...or is it the other way around?
Yup, I posted a link to the official Ubuntu forum "threat to throw your post in jail if you talk about enabling root" page, also on page one of this thread.

This is what happens when you come late to the party, Julian.

julian67

#33 Post by julian67 »

Coco wrote:
julian67 wrote: Ubuntu had quite a lot of difficulties and put a lot of work into getting stuff working with sudo where the creator of the script/application had expected it to be used by root. Using Ubuntu style sudo in Debian you may run into odd failures because those same changes haven't been made. This is especially true of applications which are essentially scripts, and also 3rd party applications, especially proprietary ones which you may not be able to modify. My bet is that eventually using sudo Ubuntu style will just prove too annoying.
I disabled the root login using "passwd -l root" and rely solely on sudo. So do you recommend I re-enable root login? I haven't encountered any problems so far and I'm very comfortable and familiar with this setup.
If it works then fine. It will depend on what you do on your system whether it's a non-issue or ends up being an annoyance.

gnudude

#34 Post by gnudude »

Coco wrote: Don't you think you're exaggerating a little bit.
of course.... :shock:

Coco

#35 Post by Coco »

Telemachus wrote:Yes, you see, you typed 'r-o-o-t' when you wanted 'r-o-u-t-e', so I was giving you a hard time. Carry on.
Sorry, I've corrected it now.

My Libre.fm profile

julian67

#36 Post by julian67 »

Telemachus wrote: Yup, we established this on page one of the thread.

Yup, I posted a link to the official Ubuntu forum "threat to throw your post in jail if you talk about enabling root" page, also on page one of this thread.

This is what happens when you come late to the party, Julian.
The same erroneous assertions about Ubuntu's use of sudo were still being made. It wasn't clear so I clarified.

It's not a party. At parties people have fun, Telemachus.

gnudude

#37 Post by gnudude »

So is that the way ubuntu has always been configured....with the admin group ?

jalu

#38 Post by jalu »

gnudude wrote:So is that the way ubuntu has always been configured....with the admin group ?
No.

I went down the whole warty road (4.10), installed it and it is

Code: Select all

jalu All=(All) All
out of the box.
http://xs942.xs.to/xs942/09356/warty252.png

why did i do that? i was curious, tried to figure it out on the german ubuntu-forum and the german ubuntu-wiki. Usually they are very detailed, step-by step. But all you get on that subject is cloaked-secret examples how it *might* look. It might look like this, it might look like that. Heck, i wanna know how it does look?
If one wants to figure out when exactly it changed :lol: :
http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/

EDIT: if i didnt mess all upt: from what i could figure out (via install...) Hoary(5.04, the follow-up of Warty) allready makes use of %adim All=(All) All
Last edited by jalu on 2009-08-29 15:53, edited 1 time in total.

Telemachus

#39 Post by Telemachus »

julian67 wrote:The same erroneous assertions about Ubuntu's use of sudo were still being made. It wasn't clear so I clarified.
Fair enough. (Though in fairness to me and Jalu, I think we were plenty clear earlier and erroneous assertions will always continue to be made. See your signature for suggestions about why...)
julian67 wrote:It's not a party. At parties people have fun, Telemachus.
It was a glib, throw-away line, but actually I still like the metaphor. A thread is like a party: how much fun it is (and how worth attending) depends on the hosts and the guests and their behavior. I don't think much of this party (as you say, no fun), but I think that the fault here does not belong to the guests.

@Jalu: Thanks for clarifying that we aren't crazy and that Ubuntu certainly used to simply enroll the first user by name into /etc/sudoers. I can't be bothered to install those various Rusty Releases, but if anyone does, I'll be curious to know when exactly the change happened.

gnudude

#40 Post by gnudude »

thanks Jalu