Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Unison-gtk

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Bitdaf

Unison-gtk

#1 Post by Bitdaf »

Hi

I needed a file sync app and I found unison. Then I saw that unison-gtk had a GUI (for Linux rookies like me no doubt!) - so I install it (apt-get install unison-gtk).

Great! Except that I can't find it?? How do I run it with the interface? I read the man pages but it's all about command line (unison basic).

I would appreciate a hint on where to find the shortcut to bring it up.

TA
Bit

Grifter

#2 Post by Grifter »

type unison-gtk in a terminal; all programs which are installed have components that end up in various places (as opposed to windows where a whole program gets a dir for itself), the program itself usually ends up in /usr/bin, there are more bin directories and each have their purpose

when a program is in a bin dir, you can run it from anywhere (your location on the filesystem, in a terminal, or via a run-menu from your window manager, or possibly even a menu entry for it)
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

Bitdaf

#3 Post by Bitdaf »

Okay - thanks. :)

I found it in /usr/bin - and by double clicking it I was able to bring up the GUI.

Thanks for your help!

Bit