Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How do you install Debian minimal xfce?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Laxman Neupane

How do you install Debian minimal xfce?

#1 Post by Laxman Neupane »

Hi.

I just wanted to know as to how do you do Debian minimal installation of xfce from the minimal net-install image to get things going, for e.g sound and other things.

I am aware that I need to install xorg, xfce4 for getting into the gui and alsa utils for working sound environment...., I thought I could use some experience on how you do it?

SO, some bare packages to install after installing the Debian net-install image and core Xfce desktop would be pretty....So, technically, what are the packages?

P.S. I understand this topic on minimal is beaten to death, and I know myself to get things working to some extent. Yet, I needed some more options and tips from fellow users for learning experience.

Regards,
Laxman Neupane.

vbrummond

Re: How do you install Debian minimal xfce?

#2 Post by vbrummond »

Laxman Neupane wrote:Hi.

I just wanted to know as to how do you do Debian minimal installation of xfce from the minimal net-install image to get things going, for e.g sound and other things.
Hello, and okiedokie.
I am aware that I need to install xorg, xfce4 for getting into the gui and alsa utils for working sound environment...., I thought I could use some experience on how you do it?
Everything is just an apt-get away. A few basics I always install are:

Code: Select all

apt-get install xfce4 xorg wicd-gtk pm-utils hdparm cpufrequtils gdm midori parole
SO, some bare packages to install after installing the Debian net-install image and core Xfce desktop would be pretty....So, technically, what are the packages?
Basically just those above. The kernel has the sound system built in. The command above installs the full xserver, a basic xfce4 desktop, a light network manager, tools for cpu frequency scaling and to suspend/hibernate, a login screen, a light web browser and media player. You can also install xfce4-goodies as well for extras. Then just add what you need after, such as music players different browser etc..
P.S. I understand this topic on minimal is beaten to death, and I know myself to get things working to some extent. Yet, I needed some more options and tips from fellow users for learning experience.
We all have questions one time or another. :)
Always on Debian Testing

ivanovnegro

#3 Post by ivanovnegro »

Like @vbrummond said and do not forget to not install a graphical environment while proceeding with the netinstall. Chose Xfce from the expert install options, called "Other Desktop Environments". Proceed with the base install and then add the rest from the command line.

Laxman Neupane

#4 Post by Laxman Neupane »

Hey thanks guys... :idea: