Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

When will MATE get into the repos!?!

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
grege

Re: When will MATE get into the repos!?!

#61 Post by grege »

OK flabdablet your dinosaur dreams have come true.

Mate has been packaged for Debian and Ubuntu - just add this repo

deb http://tridex.net/repo/debian/ sid main

as su add keyserver

apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 68980A0EA10B4DE8

Read here for details http://mate.karapetsas.com/

I have not tried this myself, it might be that you will need to activate Sid at least for the install.

enjoy

xircon

#62 Post by xircon »

Following on from GregE, GeneC has just posted this:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 80#p506129

Towards the bottom of page 21.

For Sid installs. Running now.

:Edit: Installs fine, everything working, good for a backup, as I like G3 :)

boobdillin

#63 Post by boobdillin »

Mate will be in the repos when there is a MATE team that packages and maintains it. I will have to say that I do not see that happening. Imagine all the stuff that would have to be maintained. I do not see it happening.

Gnome 3 is suppose to start using software rendering for systems that do not support hardware rendering so I am not sure I would count on fallback being around at all although I guess it may be decided to keep it for those systems that are too weak to even do software rendering. Then again my argument against keeping fallback mode would be why are you running gnome on a 400mhz PII with a 1mb integrated video card.
:lol:

If gnome 3 looked and acted just like gnome 2 then there would really be no need for it, would it? I really doubt the gnome devs put all this work (great work) into gnome 3 just to turn around and make it more like gnome 2. If you stop looking at it for what it isn't and start looking at it for what it is I suspect you will quickly forget all about what it isn't.

grege

#64 Post by grege »

If you want to try Mate, my approach would be to do a minimal Xfce Testing install, dist-upgrade to sid, then add the above repo and then install mate-desktop-environment and it should then pull in all the bits required.

Try in a virtual machine first. There are reports in the Mint forums of compiz causing issues, so set it up first without compiz. Mate is a work in progress.

I am going to set it up in a VM tonight to see how it goes. Just for interest as I have no intention of changing from Gnome 3.2

:)

EDIT: I would not try this on a computer you rely on. It works but it is not all smooth sailing yet. Mine is working in a VM and I needed to manually install GDM3 lo log in. I probably could have reinstalled LightDM.
EDIT2: the desktop meta package has dependency issues so I used Synaptic to install the pieces of Mate. Applets cannot be added due to a dependency issue, which stops the meta-package mate-desktop-environment. I have no doubt this will be resolved shortly. It works and it is Gnome 2.x. I will continue to use Gnome 3.2, but Mate works for those who want it and are willing to work with experimental software and unstable repositories.
Last edited by grege on 2011-12-05 01:16, edited 2 times in total.

sdegtyarev

#65 Post by sdegtyarev »

No problem to compile mate on wheezy:
1. Clone mate to your computer.

Code: Select all

cd ~/src
git clone https://github.com/perberos/Mate-Desktop-Environment.git
2. Build and install packages with small script:

#!/bin/bash

for i in 'mate-doc-utils' 'mate-common' 'mate-corba' 'mate-conf' 'libmatecomponent' 'mate-mime-data' 'mate-vfs' 'libmate' 'libmatecanvas' 'libmatecomponentui' 'libmatekeyring' 'mate-keyring' 'libmateui' 'libmatenotify' 'libmatekbd' 'libmateweather' 'mate-icon-theme' 'mate-dialogs' 'mate-desktop' 'mate-file-manager' 'mate-notification-daemon' 'mate-backgrounds' 'mate-menus' 'mate-window-manager' 'mate-settings-daemon' 'mate-control-center' 'mate-panel' 'mate-polkit' 'mate-session-manager'
do
cd ~/src/Mate-Desktop-Environment/$i/distro/ubuntu
./build
sudo dpkg -i ./*.deb
read -n 1 -s # comment if you don't want pause after each install
done
Generally everything is ok. There is some problem but not major.

flabdablet

#66 Post by flabdablet »

Just installed MATE into Wheezy using the tridex.net repo linked by grege - I thank you, my blood pressure thanks you and my doctor thanks you. Sanity is restored.

The only remaining problems that turned up when Gnome 3 did are these:

* Lock Screen doesn't work
* Switching users doesn't work
* Fonts in GDM3 are still teeny tiny (my screen is 144 dpi)
* XFCE panel and desktop are still broken

I'd like to remove all traces of the New Hideousness. Does anybody know of a non-ugly login manager with a face browser and no Gnome 3 depencencies?

xircon

#67 Post by xircon »

I was using lightdm before my last reinstall, worked well and is in the repos. It is themeable, it is on my to-do list for today, but I just borked my Gnome 3, so am rebuilding from a clone early yesterday ATM.

:Edit: Installed Lightdm, replaced gdm3, Gnome 3 launches OK, about to reinstall Mate after I clone my drive (again!) :)

flabdablet

#68 Post by flabdablet »

Does lightdm offer a face browser?

xircon

#69 Post by xircon »

No, if you mean pictures of users, don't think any of the alternates do.

fabrixx

#70 Post by fabrixx »

Sorry, i'm tryng on virtualbox.

First i need install a complete sid with gnome and after i add mate repository & install mate-core?

Its posible to upgrade to a debian minimal?

uua80

#71 Post by uua80 »

CalcProgrammer1 wrote:Debian was a nice refuge from the garbage that is Ubuntu 11.10, but it only lasted a month. GNOME 3 is, and it scares me to say this, worse than Unity.
Thank goodness Debian has a thing called stable! GNOME 2 for two more years. If you must have testing or sid, try starting with stable and pinning GNOME.

You could always switch to XFCE, which is better than GNOME anyway. :wink:
Debian is Linux.

notthatguy

#72 Post by notthatguy »

uua80 wrote: You could always switch to XFCE, which is better than GNOME anyway. :wink:
how so?

grege

#73 Post by grege »

fabrixx wrote:Sorry, i'm tryng on virtualbox.

First i need install a complete sid with gnome and after i add mate repository & install mate-core?

I think it is better not to install Gnome. I would install Sid with Xfce and work from there. The Gnome in Sid is now 3.2 and GTK 3, Mate (and Xfce) is still GTK 2. Also I would use LightDM for login, rather than GDM that will pull in all the GTK3 dependencies. You can, if you want, run Gnome 3.2 and Mate in parallel, that is what LinuxMint 12 does.

EDIT: Disregard not using GDM3, it really does not matter. You will need gtk3 stuff anyway to run the updated Gnome programs.

fabrixx

#74 Post by fabrixx »

grege wrote:
fabrixx wrote:Sorry, i'm tryng on virtualbox.

I think it is better not to install Gnome. I would install Sid with Xfce and work from there. The Gnome in Sid is now 3.2 and GTK 3, Mate (and Xfce) is still GTK 2. Also I would use LightDM for login, rather than GDM that will pull in all the GTK3 dependencies. You can, if you want, run Gnome 3.2 and Mate in parallel, that is what LinuxMint 12 does.

EDIT: Disregard not using GDM3, it really does not matter. You will need gtk3 stuff anyway to run the updated Gnome programs.

Thank you i will try with xfce

fabrixx

#75 Post by fabrixx »

I have installed debian XFCE and added repo

deb http://tridex.net/repo/debian/ sid main (not work)

I tryed with:
deb http://tridex.net/repo/debian/ wheezy main
and apt-get update work

But when install mate-core i see:

grege

#76 Post by grege »

fabrixx wrote:I have installed debian XFCE and added repo
OK, those issues are ongoing. To get a working Mate open Synaptic and search on Mate and add as much as you can. I do not get the applets to install due to that dependency issue.

But you can otherwise get the Mate desktop to run via Synaptic. I have tried a few things to fix the dependencies, but I am not really motivated as I long ago embraced Gnome 3.2. I only tried this out of curiosity.

Anyone else been able to get any further?

If you do not have any philosophical issues with Ubuntu and Mint you will get a lot further installing Linuxmint 12. Mate is part of the package and the Mint team are updating it.

EDIT: I just updated everything in my VM (Sunday 18 Dec my time) and now it all works. So...

Install Debian with Xfce, add the repo and select wheezy as the distro, and install mate-desktop-environment. I used Sid as the base install, but it will probably work just as well with Wheezy.

fabrixx

#77 Post by fabrixx »

Its 2 days that i'm crazy to install mate on Vbox :shock:

I added
deb http://tridex.net/repo/debian/ wheezy main

I have 2 working installation:

Debian Squeeze + XFCE
VM Clone updated to Debian Wheezy +XFCE

- I try selecting packages from synaptic but have tons of broken dependences.

- I try to install mate-desktop-environment

Debian Wheezy XFCE:

Sid repo:
Not find mate-desktop-environment

Wheezy repo:

root@debian:/home/fabrizio# apt-get install mate-desktop-environment
Lettura elenco dei pacchetti... Fatto
Generazione albero delle dipendenze       
Lettura informazioni sullo stato... Fatto
È utile eseguire "apt-get -f install" per correggere questi problemi:
I seguenti pacchetti hanno dipendenze non soddisfatte:
 mate-desktop-environment : Dipende: mate-core (= 1.1.0) ma non sta per essere installato
                            Dipende: mate-calc ma non sta per essere installato
                            Dipende: mate-netspeed ma non sta per essere installato
                            Dipende: mate-sensors-applet ma non sta per essere installato
                            Dipende: mate-system-tools ma non sta per essere installato
                            Dipende: mate-utils ma non sta per essere installato
 perl-modules : Dipende: perl (>= 5.14.2-1) ma la versione 5.10.1-17squeeze2 sta per essere installata
E: Dipendenze non soddisfatte. Provare "apt-get -f install" senza pacchetti (o specificare una soluzione).
root@debian:/home/fabrizio# 

Debian Squeeze XFCE:

Same results :(

I read here:
We are uploading to tridex.net the new MATE packages (1.1 version). When the upload is complete, debian users need to change /etc/apt/sources and replace "sid" with "wheezy".

Where The i386 wheezy packages?
http://tridex.net/repo/debian/

For example for archlinux i see all files:
http://tridex.net/repo/archlinux/mate/i686/

vbrummond

#78 Post by vbrummond »

There are both 32-bit and 64-bit packages in that repo. Where are the powerpc/arm/sparc/etc packages? :wink:
Always on Debian Testing

grege

#79 Post by grege »

I installed 64bit version and I have version Mate 1.1 and it is all there and functional.

Maybe the 32 bit update has not yet completely uploaded.

fabrixx

#80 Post by fabrixx »

Ok finally work

I installed squeeze + XFCE & update to sid
After that i installed mate-core and work perfectly :)

Offtopic:
MM LXDE 4.8 is very beautiful

Thanks for support