Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

All 3 Wi-Fi Cards Down?!

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
gto

All 3 Wi-Fi Cards Down?!

#1 Post by gto »

I installed debian Wheezy and can't get my Wi-Fi to work. It seems that I can't install the proper driver may be? It seems that my adapters are bricks!

root@gt:~# sudo ip link list
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT
link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP mode DEFAULT qlen 1000
link/ether f4:6d:04:43:1c:d4 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: wlan0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode DEFAULT qlen 1000
link/ether e0:b9:a5:c6:62:c7 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
5: wlan2: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode DEFAULT qlen 1000
link/ether 74:ea:3a:8e:d3:1f brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
6: wlan1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode DEFAULT qlen 1000
link/ether 94:0c:6d:89:56:2c brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

root@gt:~# ip link set wlan0 up
RTNETLINK answers: Operation not possible due to RF-kill

I tried everything I could think of for the last four days without success, my adapters are powered off.
root@gt:~# iwconfig
wlan2 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=0 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off

lo no wireless extensions.

wlan1 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=0 dBm
Power Management:on

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=off
Power Management:off

eth0 no wireless extensions.

Please help.

GT

tera

Re: All 3 Wi-Fi Cards Down?!

#2 Post by tera »

The RF-kill is causing the issue, as the output states.

Code: Select all

man rfkill
will give you more information. There'll also be a lot of internet documentation.

rfkill list
will provide more information about the status of your wireless devices.

gto

#3 Post by gto »

tera wrote:The RF-kill is causing the issue, as the output states.

man rfkill
will give you more information. There'll also be a lot of internet documentation.

rfkill list
will provide more information about the status of your wireless devices.
I know, but

rfkill unblock all
doesn't work for me. How do I solve this?

root@gt:~# rfkill list
0: phy0: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: yes
1: hci0: Bluetooth
	Hard blocked: no
2: asus-wlan: Wireless LAN
3: asus-bluetooth: Bluetooth
5: phy2: Wireless LAN
6: phy3: Wireless LAN

tera

#4 Post by tera »

This: http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Doc ... ion/rfkill seems to suggest that there's a hardware button that's disabled your wifi (hence, hard block), in which case you should probably look through your hardware documentation.

However, given that asus-wlan, phy2 and phy3 aren't rfkilled in any way, did you try:

ip link set wlan1 up
or

ip link set wlan2 up
?

Finally,

iw dev
should give you information about which physical devices the network interfaces are associated with.

gto

#5 Post by gto »

tera wrote:This: http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Doc ... ion/rfkill seems to suggest that there's a hardware button that's disabled your wifi (hence, hard block), in which case you should probably look through your hardware documentation.

However, given that asus-wlan, phy2 and phy3 aren't rfkilled in any way, did you try:

ip link set wlan1 up
or

ip link set wlan2 up
?

Finally,

iw dev
should give you information about which physical devices the network interfaces are associated with.

The physical switch is on and the Wi-Fi light is on.

Here's the output (only wlan2 went thru):

root@gt:~# ip link set wlan0 up
RTNETLINK answers: Operation not possible due to RF-kill
root@gt:~# ip link set wlan1 up
RTNETLINK answers: No such file or directory
root@gt:~# ip link set wlan2 up
root@gt:~# iw dev
phy#3
	Interface wlan1
		ifindex 6
		type managed
phy#2
	Interface wlan2
		ifindex 5
		type managed
phy#0
	Interface wlan0
		ifindex 3
		type managed

tera

#6 Post by tera »

I'm currently in a rush so I'll look into the errors a bit later, but since wlan2 seems functional, why don't you try using that to connect? :)

I don't use a network manager so I'm not sure of accuracy, but I believe things like GNOME network manager let you choose which interface to use to connect.

gto

#7 Post by gto »

Thank you for all your help.
I tried to use the Gnome manager, but it says that all three are unavailable. I would use one of them, if they were available.

tera

#8 Post by tera »

The only thing I could find about the RTNETLINK no such file problem is that it might need extra firmware. What's the wireless hardware for that interface, and does it need firmware to be installed? If so, there should be documentation widely available about installing the requisite things.

As for the hard blocked one, I don't expect to know how to fix it if it's a specific hardware issue, but post the hardware for that interface and someone else might be able to help.

And finally, I'm not competent with gnome network manager, sorry. If that doesn't work, you can try an alternate network manager, like wicd, or you could try manually setting up a wireless link. For the latter, to associate with an open access point, you can go

iw dev wlan2 connect youressid
. For WPA networks the tool to use is wpa_supplicant. Probably look at some documentation regarding how to use.

A helpful tutorial is here. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_Setup. It's for Arch, but tools like iw and wpa_supplicant are on Debian too. Make educated decisions about which commands are clearly Arch specific :)

gto

#9 Post by gto »

tera wrote:The only thing I could find about the RTNETLINK no such file problem is that it might need extra firmware. What's the wireless hardware for that interface, and does it need firmware to be installed? If so, there should be documentation widely available about installing the requisite things.

As for the hard blocked one, I don't expect to know how to fix it if it's a specific hardware issue, but post the hardware for that interface and someone else might be able to help.

And finally, I'm not competent with gnome network manager, sorry. If that doesn't work, you can try an alternate network manager, like wicd, or you could try manually setting up a wireless link. For the latter, to associate with an open access point, you can go

iw dev wlan2 connect youressid
. For WPA networks the tool to use is wpa_supplicant. Probably look at some documentation regarding how to use.

A helpful tutorial is here. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_Setup. It's for Arch, but tools like iw and wpa_supplicant are on Debian too. Make educated decisions about which commands are clearly Arch specific :)
Very helpful tutorial (ArchLinux) I got to the point where I can scan with the wlan2, but unable to connect to any network. I'm unable to use any GUI :(

My laptop is ASUS N53SN-XR2

Wi-Fi hardware:
wlan0: Atheros AR9285 (Internal - Mini PCI-E)
Power Management: off

wlan1: Ralink RT73 (USB - Model: TP-Link TL-WN321G v3)

wlan2: Atheros AR7010-AL1A and AR9287-BL1A. (USB - Model: Tp-Link
TL-WN821N v3)

root@gt:~# rfkill list
0: hci0: Bluetooth
1: phy0: Wireless LAN
	Hard blocked: yes
2: asus-wlan: Wireless LAN
3: asus-bluetooth: Bluetooth
4: phy1: Wireless LAN
5: phy2: Wireless LAN
The rfkill shows that the "1: phy0" is hard blocked, but then "2: asus-wlan" is not. Is this the same adapter or is the "asus-wlan" the wireless laptop service for all adapters on this laptop.

And I found this on the Debian wiki... :cry:
"WiFi Works well BUT you must install firmware before, and be careful not to press the wifi button which will make your wifi go off forever. It is highly recommended to install the (Ubuntu) Sputnik kernel or standard 3.9 in order to have this bug fixed. Firmware package name is: firmware-iwlwifi".
From here:
https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebia ... 20XPS%2013

Seems like a serious Kernel bug to me. They say once it goes off it's forever? They couldn't get it back ON under Windows neither and I couldn't. I tested my switch at some point during the installation, my wifi was ON while I was installing the firmware. How do I fix that and what is that issue? How it is possible to kill my card permanently? :(
Last edited by gto on 2014-01-16 05:10, edited 1 time in total.

tera

#10 Post by tera »

Very helpful tutorial (ArchLinux) I got to the point where I can scan with the wlan2, but unable to connect to any network. I'm unable to use any GUI
My bad with this, I assumed that since you could bring the interface up, you didn't have to jump through more hoops with firmware. :oops:. Probably should have gotten a hardware list first thing :)

I've searched around:

1. Regarding the Ralink RT73 (I'm assuming TR73 was a typo), you'll need to install extra firmware in the form of the "firmware-ralink" package. See: https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/rt73
2. Regarding the Atheros AR7010/AR9287, you'll also need to install extra firmware, in the form of the "firmware-atheros" package. See: https://wiki.debian.org/ath9k_htc. There's also open firmware apparently; there's a link in the page.
3. Regarding the Atheros AR9285, you won't need more firmware for this (In fact I have the same wireless chipset :)). The issue is the hard block. Looking around, many people seem to have solved similar issues by using a keyboard shortcut (for instance, on my laptop Fn-F2 blocks my wireless card). Look through your hardware documentation, or perhaps there are function key symbols on your keyboard. Another possibility is that you might need to do this in Windows - do you dual boot? If so, try starting up your wireless in windows (manipulating the hardware switch as well), and boot back into Debian leaving it on. A final suggestion is that it could be a setting in the BIOS, that you can toggle.

Oh, and regarding the "make your wifi go off forever" thing, no need to worry about that. That wiki page is for the Dell XPS 13 laptop, which has a totally different wireless chipset to yours, and so is irrelevant.

gto

#11 Post by gto »

tera wrote:
Very helpful tutorial (ArchLinux) I got to the point where I can scan with the wlan2, but unable to connect to any network. I'm unable to use any GUI
My bad with this, I assumed that since you could bring the interface up, you didn't have to jump through more hoops with firmware. :oops:. Probably should have gotten a hardware list first thing :)

I've searched around:

1. Regarding the Ralink RT73 (I'm assuming TR73 was a typo), you'll need to install extra firmware in the form of the "firmware-ralink" package. See: https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/rt73
2. Regarding the Atheros AR7010/AR9287, you'll also need to install extra firmware, in the form of the "firmware-atheros" package. See: https://wiki.debian.org/ath9k_htc. There's also open firmware apparently; there's a link in the page.
3. Regarding the Atheros AR9285, you won't need more firmware for this (In fact I have the same wireless chipset :)). The issue is the hard block. Looking around, many people seem to have solved similar issues by using a keyboard shortcut (for instance, on my laptop Fn-F2 blocks my wireless card). Look through your hardware documentation, or perhaps there are function key symbols on your keyboard. Another possibility is that you might need to do this in Windows - do you dual boot? If so, try starting up your wireless in windows (manipulating the hardware switch as well), and boot back into Debian leaving it on. A final suggestion is that it could be a setting in the BIOS, that you can toggle.

Oh, and regarding the "make your wifi go off forever" thing, no need to worry about that. That wiki page is for the Dell XPS 13 laptop, which has a totally different wireless chipset to yours, and so is irrelevant.
Thank you for your detailed answer.
The AR9285 and Atheros AR7010/AR9287 I couldn't get working.

The RT73 I got to a point where it's scanning and that's it! When I try to connect (using Wifi Radar) to a particular network I'm unable to. It says connecting and stays like that forever.
Both USB Wifi adapters work under Win7.

I tried connecting from the command line and it's just printing lists with all the networks one after another...
I tried to disable and enable the wifi in the BIOS and save again, but no success.

My laptop uses the Fn+F2 to enable/disable the Wifi. I tried that, it didn't change anything.

How do I upgrade my Kernel? Do you think that upgrading may help? I've been reading few articles about this problem and that upgrading fixes this issue. This is my last resort. For me 3.2.0-4-amd64 is driving me nuts with the wifi. Have I actually installed the correct image?

uname -a:
Linux shinari 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.51-1 x86_64 GNU/Linux
I'm running i7-2630QM 64-bit.

Thanks!

tera

#12 Post by tera »

Regarding the:

AR9285: Unfortunately I'm out of ideas - for instance, on my laptop Fn+F2 toggles the soft block, but that's clearly not working for you. Upgrading the kernel is a possibility, but I've never had an issue with my kernel, so I'd be learning how to do it myself, so you probably want to trust someone else's instructions on this ;). That kernel version is fine though - it's the kernel you'd have by default if running stable.

AR7010: What exactly were your problems with this - did the firmware install OK? etc etc.

RT73: You'll need to give more information regarding this problem - ignoring Wifi Radar/other network managers for now, what was the manual command that failed? What do you mean by "it's just printing lists with all the networks one after another..."? Did you install the firmware properly - if so, did that improve the situation from before its installation?

gto

#13 Post by gto »

tera wrote:Regarding the:

AR9285: Unfortunately I'm out of ideas - for instance, on my laptop Fn+F2 toggles the soft block, but that's clearly not working for you. Upgrading the kernel is a possibility, but I've never had an issue with my kernel, so I'd be learning how to do it myself, so you probably want to trust someone else's instructions on this ;). That kernel version is fine though - it's the kernel you'd have by default if running stable.

AR7010: What exactly were your problems with this - did the firmware install OK? etc etc.

RT73: You'll need to give more information regarding this problem - ignoring Wifi Radar/other network managers for now, what was the manual command that failed? What do you mean by "it's just printing lists with all the networks one after another..."? Did you install the firmware properly - if so, did that improve the situation from before its installation?
Thank you tera!
The soft block key combination is the same as mine.
I'm running stable version, but I don't know why I'm having these issues.

The AR7010 I can't get active in any way. It's offline and that's it! No command or GUI tool affects/manages in any way this adapter. The firmware installed OK. It's listed in my hardware list the same as the AR9285. Both are Atheros, so I assume the problem is the same :x

The RT73 is scanning, finding networks and unable to connect. The firmware installed flawlessly.
What I meant was that, if I try scanning and connecting from the command line, it's just attempting to connect to a particular network unsuccessfully and then prints the same available networks in the command line.

Before when using Fn+F2 the laptop light for the Wi-Fi was coming ON, right now it's not affected at all. I wonder, if the Adapter died... But it's listed in the hardware list. I wonder, if I should just buy a new one.

tera

#14 Post by tera »

By "that kernel version is fine" I meant that the version is not wacko or something, it's just the one you get with stable ;). Consider trying a newer kernel in case that helps solve some issues. See backports.debian.org for installing newer packages in stable. (I'm also not an expert on kernel things, so also seek other advice/research)

Unfortunately you need to give more details regarding that AR7010. As in, did

ip link set wlan2 up
do anything? (I believe it is connected to wlan2?). Did you try connecting with wpa_supplicant or iw? If so, what was the output, etc?

RT73: What's the command you're using to connect? Remember if the access point is WPA/WPA2 you'll need wpa_supplicant, if open or WEP you can just use iw.

Posting what output you get rather than trying to describe it qualitatively can be useful :)

gto

#15 Post by gto »

Hey Buddy!

I just fixed that thing!!! :twisted: After trying all the options (which didn't work) I decided to put back the original HDD that I have for the laptop with Win7. After booting the Win7 I did:

1. Open the device manager
2. Found my wireless adapter, then right click disable and again right click uninstall and checked the checkbox "Remove drivers"
3. Uninstall all drivers, Reboot, Install Drivers, Reboot
4. After the boot the system recognized my Wifi
5. Click the windows balloon at the bottom right corner and choose "Install Automatically" - this way Windows finds the driver online and it downloads the correct one by itself.
6. My ASUS have Live Update software - looks like this http://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/_migrated/pics/Asus_live_update_01.gif (not mine on the screenshot!). After opening the Asus Live Update it automatically recognized that there's an update, checked the required update and clicked "Install"
7. Reboot
8. Wireless is back ON!!!
:lol:

Next... Switching hard drives, removed the original and installed the new SSD with the Debian. Update over the LAN, then upgrade, removed some junky drivers which I tested with before and left only the Atheros Firmware. Works Perfectly! :mrgreen:
I spent may be 2 weeks and reinstalled Debian and Ubuntu over 20 times, including compiling my own Kernels, trying to figure out what was wrong... I even torn apart the whole laptop to check what's the exact model of the wifi and check if everything was installed correctly. I was about to buy a new mini-pci wifi adapter...
Under linux is a no go. I found may be over 100 people having the same issue and different geeks and experts were suggesting 1000 different approaches which didn't work for me, neither for them. Few people said that they fixed it under Windows. Worked for me as well. If you have such problem just switch back to Windows and let it do it's work! Finally something useful from Windows :lol:

I thought that there was something wrong with me and I was about to grab the hammer, but it seems that the keyboard shortcuts in combination with the firmware and the power switch (which I assume I was playing with) broke the wifi capability. I guess there's a Kernel problem, which needs some SERIOUS fix!
But hey, it's up and running now. :mrgreen:
Finally I can install my web development work environment and have fun! YAY!!! :mrgreen:
Thanks again TERA!!!

Oh Forgot! After all the crap, my laptop didn't connect to the router (D-Link DIR-655), sooo I decided to upgrade the firmware :lol: aaand my router was a brick after the upgrade :lol: Another 2-3 hours... research, firmware upgrades... hard resets... :shock: But this is the tutorial http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14090809 that helped me! Now I'm running the latest firmware and that fixed my laptop wifi connectivity issue. :mrgreen:

curtaintwitcher

#16 Post by curtaintwitcher »

What you did in windows has no bearing whatsoever on the device working or not under GNU/Linux...

This is most likely what fixed it in the end:
gto wrote:removed some junky drivers which I tested with before and left only the Atheros Firmware.

gto

#17 Post by gto »

curtaintwitcher wrote:What you did in windows has no bearing whatsoever on the device working or not under GNU/Linux...

This is most likely what fixed it in the end:
gto wrote:removed some junky drivers which I tested with before and left only the Atheros Firmware.
Because nothing else worked. The adapter was working immediately after booting the Debian, before cleaning the junky drivers. The problem wasn't the drivers,if you research a bit more you'll find that there's a problem with the Kernel and the hard lock. :) No solution or suggestion worked before that under Linux.
By the way my Wifi adapter is supported usually by both Debian and Ubuntu just right out of the box, no drivers neccesary!

curtaintwitcher

#18 Post by curtaintwitcher »

gto wrote:Because nothing else worked. The adapter was working immediately after booting the Debian, before cleaning the junky drivers. The problem wasn't the drivers,if you research a bit more you'll find that there's a problem with the Kernel and the hard lock. :) No solution or suggestion worked before that under Linux.
You're suggesting that people need to buy and install windows, remove and reinstall the windows drivers, reboot, install Debian, in order to get this particular adapter to work, you do realise that's what you're saying?
gto wrote:By the way my Wifi adapter is supported usually by both Debian and Ubuntu just right out of the box, no drivers neccesary!
All hardware peripheral devices need drivers. If it worked "out of the box", that's because a driver was already included in the kernel.

gto

#19 Post by gto »

curtaintwitcher wrote:
gto wrote:Because nothing else worked. The adapter was working immediately after booting the Debian, before cleaning the junky drivers. The problem wasn't the drivers,if you research a bit more you'll find that there's a problem with the Kernel and the hard lock. :) No solution or suggestion worked before that under Linux.
You're suggesting that people need to buy and install windows, remove and reinstall the windows drivers, reboot, install Debian, in order to get this particular adapter to work, you do realise that's what you're saying?
gto wrote:By the way my Wifi adapter is supported usually by both Debian and Ubuntu just right out of the box, no drivers neccesary!
All hardware peripheral devices need drivers. If it worked "out of the box", that's because a driver was already included in the kernel.
Of course the drivers were included in the Kernel!!! The drivers for the most used network adapters are usually included in the versions of Ubuntu and Debian and your Wifi works while you're installing the OS (Live CD).

From here:
https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebia ... 20XPS%2013
"WiFi Works well BUT you must install firmware before, and be careful not to press the wifi button which will make your wifi go off forever. It is highly recommended to install the (Ubuntu) Sputnik kernel or standard 3.9 in order to have this bug fixed. Firmware package name is: firmware-iwlwifi".
The same bug is related to all laptops not only DELL! It's up to you, if you're going to buy Windows or not (you can use 30 day trial version, I personally have over 6 licenses for XP Pro and Win7 Ultimate and Pro). I've been installing Debian on hundreds of servers, laptops and desktops and had no issues with the wifi until now! Whether you'll buy or not, install or not Windows, it's up to you!
If you do a bit more research and look for "Wifi not working due to Rfkill" you'll see how many people are having the same issue in so many different Linux distros and NOT being able to solve this problem. Which means that most likely it's a Kernel problem.

I don't know why, if you have a suggestion, you didn't mention anything when we were discussing the problem with "tera" and were out of options? If you're looking just to argue about something and/or show off this is not the place! :)

Let's face it! Windows have better drivers support than GNU/Linux!

ajpat3

#20 Post by ajpat3 »

All I got to say is "Way-to-go" gto.
Arthur.