Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

The future with Systemd

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
keithpeter

Re: The future with Systemd

#101 Post by keithpeter »

sjukfan wrote:Kind of ironic that I have libsystemd-login0 installed only because of dbus. And the reason why I have dbus is because spacefm depends on in. And the development of spacefm is on hiatus because the developer of that software really don't like systemd http://igurublog.wordpress.com/2014/04/ ... us-hiatus/
$ aptitude why libsystemd-login0
i spacefm Depends dbus
i A dbus Depends libsystemd-login0 (>= 31)
Excellent! As I get older, I appreciate irony all the more. Useful aptitude command that.
adenukolnis wrote:I don't understand why anyone would want to use the shim? Just use systemd.

I would rather trust systemd>>services than to trust sysv>>magical-shim-translator>>services
I'm coming round to the idea of a window manager on top of Xorg as a sort of retro thing. Just side stepping the whole d-bus/notifications/event handling mudball. Which would take me back (forward?) to what I used in Squeeze on a desktop. The challenges include negotiating wifi networks on a 'roaming' basis and USB sticks/drives. It has to be said that my use cases for an actual portable laptop are *very* simple (Web browser, rdesktop, Libreoffice now and again).
edbarx wrote:Finally, I am confident that discontent will motivate people to search for solutions and to dedicate their time to create solutions if these do not exist at present.
Well, that is the 'acid test'. Will people start serious testing/raising bugs/posting patches instead of posting invective? "Code changes things in Debian".

edbarx

#102 Post by edbarx »

This morning I started supertuxkart from a terminal. While it was loading it complained of not finding pulseaudio, however, it used what was available on my system. I think, this will be what will happen with user programs: they will query the OS to determine its initialisation system and act accordingly. The fact that it is done with the sound subsystem is an idication that DDs already do something similar. The C and C++ languages have the means to allow developers to write flexible code that runs on more than one system: why should newer software be any different?

The beauty of coding flexibly:

Code: Select all

int init_system = getInitSystem();  // retrieves the system's init system
  switch (init_system) {
      0: callSystemdService(); 
          break;
      1: callInitService();
          break;
      2: callOtherService();
  }
Code like this will require the addition of conditional dependence. This is something like this: Packet A depends on B xor C.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

adenukolnis

#103 Post by adenukolnis »

Do you know of an alternate to logind that desktops can fall back to?

confuseling

#104 Post by confuseling »

I believe OpenBSD and FreeBSD are working on it, presumably together, with GNOME.

Not sure how much that helps Linux, but it can't hurt...
The Forum's search box is terrible. Use site specific search, e.g.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... terms+here

adenukolnis

#105 Post by adenukolnis »

Yea, and i suspect that moving target is going to get old, real quick like, not to mention grow larger and larger. I doubt that bsd will be too interested when a large part of the system is systemd or systemd related. How will they brag about being a complete system when a large part of it....simply isn't?

I wonder how useful a bsd solution would be for linux?

sjukfan

#106 Post by sjukfan »

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... px=MTc4MjQ
This summer a student developer began work on DBus daemons that accept systemd calls and emulated their behavior with their own native calls, in order to make drop-in replacements for BSD platforms where systemd is not supported and the upstream systemd developers have no plans of supporting.

This work revolved around writing effective BSD-compatible replacements for systemd-hostnamed, systemd-localed, systemd-timedated, and systemd-logind. While this work was spawned in the systemd camp, it's designed to run on Unix-like systems where systemd isn't supported (everything but Linux) in order to support the increasing number of end-user software packages depending upon systemd functionality, like GNOME. This Google Summer of Code work was done by student developer Ian Sutton with oversight from mentors Antoine Jacoutot and Landry Breuil.

While it's not clear right now how far these systemd utility replacements made it along, the code as of the end of the summer is hosted via the Google Melange site within the code sample section (unfortunately am not able to find any other blog posts or Git repositories for the work; will update if I receive any additional information). Hopefully this work will be picked up and continued by others not wishing to use/support systemd but still looking for compatibility with other systemd-dependent software.
Fear not - the layer is designed to be simple to port to other systems. Once it gains more functionality I'm sure a Linux port will be created.
tl;dr OpenBSD compatibility layer to support systemd calls.
Bullseye amd64, AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Buster amd64, Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3
Sid ppc, PowerPC 7447a
Sid ppc64, PowerPC 970FX

keithpeter

#107 Post by keithpeter »

sjukfan wrote:tl;dr OpenBSD compatibility layer to support systemd calls.
Nice find, thanks.

The *BSD side of the fence have to do *something* if they want a fully integrated desktop of the kind people have come to expect. I don't think a window manager on top of X with command line mounting/unmounting of drives is going to cut it. Not to mention wifi without network-manager. See sig for the gory details.

This strategy is a lot easier than (say) a total fork of one of the larger DEs like KDE with a new back end. Binary compatibility implies that what they come up with might be importable to the Linux yurt camp.

edbarx

#108 Post by edbarx »

The good news is that there are various strategies to attack the problem. This shows that various solutions will crop up and the best one will prevail.

mardybear

#109 Post by mardybear »

Most open-source operating systems which are strictly opposed to adopting systemd are not Linux distributions, but rather flavours of BSD. The systemd project intentionally targets Linux exclusively and this makes it highly unlikely systemd will be ported to FreeBSD, PC-BSD, OpenBSD or NetBSD. In fact, the OpenBSD Foundation began work on software which will allow the operating system to avoid running systemd, but will enable OpenBSD to run applications which depend on systemd. However, since the original poster mentioned running the Debian distribution, I have a potential solution that might avoid any big changes. The Debian project maintains an official port that marries the FreeBSD kernel with GNU libraries and Debian's package manager. I have run this branch of Debian in the past in test environments and if you can get it running on your hardware it will offer the Debian experience as far as the installer and package managing are concerned and the kFreeBSD port of Debian is unlikely to adopt systemd.
From distrowatch:
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20140908#qa

Debian GNU/kFreeBSD link:
http://www.debian.org/ports/kfreebsd-gnu/

My weekend freetime was spent using freeBSD - really not that much different from Debian.
800mhz, 512mb ram, dCore-jessie (Tiny Core with Debian Jessie packages) with BusyBox and Fluxbox.
Most don't have computer access, reuse or pay forward an old computer.

keithpeter

#110 Post by keithpeter »

mardybear wrote:My weekend freetime was spent using freeBSD - really not that much different from Debian.
Oddly enough, just trying OpenBSD on my test laptop. OpenBSD has suspend that works on my hardware. Same language, different dialect. Very educational.

mardybear

#111 Post by mardybear »

Same language, different dialect. Very educational.
Exactly but i couldn't word it as eloquently :) Feels the same but different...all at the same time. Some Linux commands work the same in BSD, some not. Very good experience. Glad i'm not yet too Linux-set-in-my-ways to keep exploring.

PS. Sorry about the rant way earlier in this thread somewhere. Yes i understand the free software concept, my frustration was directed towards Debian's management of the systemd situation. From my relatively brief experience, Debian has always been about providing choices. For example, if a new desktop environment becomes available it's added to the repository and does not displace another DE. When 64-bit systems came along, 32-bit systems were still supported. So when another init system became available (systemd), i would expect Debian to add this as an option, offering both sysinitv and systemd variants along with 32-bit and 64-bit. Especially since the move to systemd is so controversial and it has not yet proven itself to be a significant improvement or long term stable. Anyway...wasted enough time on it...just wanted to explain. Thanks.
800mhz, 512mb ram, dCore-jessie (Tiny Core with Debian Jessie packages) with BusyBox and Fluxbox.
Most don't have computer access, reuse or pay forward an old computer.

keithpeter

#112 Post by keithpeter »

mardybear wrote:PS. Sorry about the rant way earlier in this thread somewhere. Yes i understand the free software concept, my frustration was directed towards Debian's management of the systemd situation.
Rant? What rant? If you want rants, try the Debian-devel or Debian-user mailing lists! Plenty there :lol:

I thought 'mor' gave the best answer to that post as mor often does. My concern is the language being used and the way that makes it harder to focus on the technical issues (modularity, attack surface for exploits, difficulty or ease for upstream projects to remain init-agnostic &c, mudballing of subsystems - not just systemd by any means on that one).

timbgo

#113 Post by timbgo »

keithpeter wrote:
mardybear wrote:PS. Sorry about the rant way earlier in this thread somewhere. Yes i understand the free software concept, my frustration was directed towards Debian's management of the systemd situation.
Rant? What rant? If you want rants, try the Debian-devel or Debian-user mailing lists! Plenty there :lol:
No, those are cries for reason, not rants, as far as the majority of those who want to, say, as the title says:
Re: upgrades must not change the installed init system [was: Re: Cinnamon environment now available in testing]
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2 ... 00308.html
I thought 'mor' gave the best answer to that post as mor often does.
No. Technically speaking, yes those are GNU. But in reality, no.
My concern is the language being used and the way that makes it harder to focus on the technical issues (modularity, attack surface for exploits, difficulty or ease for upstream projects to remain init-agnostic &c, mudballing of subsystems - not just systemd by any means on that one).
The musl dev's Rich Felker's concerns. Let's wait for anyone to plausibly rebuff those. Will be: never.
But I'm late to (try to) write on these topics, because I have fallen depressed. I'm not joking. This line:

Code: Select all

Built-in support for GnuTLS, GTK+ 3, ImageMagick, SELinux, and Libxml2.
on Richard Stallman's Emacs site:
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/
(take notice of the SELinux there) is what ended my trust in Richard.
I saw that line thanks to the discussion on:
Julian Assange: Debian Is Owned By The NSA
https://igurublog.wordpress.com/2014/04 ... ment-33217
where you can read that and even about suspicion, legitimate, as far as I get it, on GNU Hurd.
I won't call this OS that I put my hopes in, from now on GNU/Linux anymore. I'll try and call it SchLinux, by the Schmoogle the NSA's best friend Google that our dear leader Torvalds is so cheerfully hobnobbing with.

I have to recover from my broken dreams.
I would like not to belive that RMS would support SELinux, but it's there.

And who can deny that "Google and Red Hat pay his travel expenses" from:
https://igurublog.wordpress.com/2014/04 ... ment-33251
IgnorantGuru wrote:Last I spoke with RMS, he was still deeply in love with GNOME and Red Hat, even though I clearly explained the GNOME3 fiasco – I get the impression he’s a fraud (and coming from MIT, that’s easy to believe – Recruitment University).
But no! IgnorantGuru, thanks for your efforts, if you'll ever (later, you've been taking a break for some months now) be reading this. He was not a fraud. He started honestly!
The whole GNU is merely there to ‘stall’ evolution of free tools – I’m sure they get a laugh out of his name. I wouldn’t look for help there – Google and Red Hat pay his travel expenses.
Miroslav Rovis
Zagreb, Croatia
http://www.CroatiaFidelis.hr
Miroslav Rovis
Zagreb, Croatia
http://www.CroatiaFidelis.hr
Anyone can dismiss these: kernel hooks for rootkits
linux capabilities for intrusion?

sjukfan

#114 Post by sjukfan »

uselessd, a fork of systemd 208.

http://uselessd.darknedgy.net/
uselessd -- what it says on the tin, plus a complementary kitchen sink and flat tire
So, what is it?

uselessd (the useless daemon, or the daemon that uses less... depending on your viewpoint) is a project which aims to reduce systemd to a base initd, process supervisor and transactional dependency system, while minimizing intrusiveness and isolationism. Basically, it’s systemd with the superfluous stuff cut out, a (relatively) coherent idea of what it wants to be, support for non-glibc platforms and an approach that aims to minimize complicated design.
Bullseye amd64, AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Buster amd64, Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3
Sid ppc, PowerPC 7447a
Sid ppc64, PowerPC 970FX

golinux

#115 Post by golinux »

Excellent analysis of the systemd affair from the debian-user list. I'm having a hard time keeping up with the number of systemd-related posts. This is a good thing. The rebellion is growing . . .
May the FORK be with you!

edbarx

#116 Post by edbarx »

I contacted the uselessd team to ask them whether they accept help from me in the fork. They said they use IRC. Does anyone know what I should install to have an IRC client up and running? If the interface is a TUI it has to support bigger than normal fonts. My eyesight is starting to control me.

golinux

#117 Post by golinux »

edbarx wrote:I contacted the uselessd team to ask them whether they accept help from me in the fork. They said they use IRC. Does anyone know what I should install to have an IRC client up and running? If the interface is a TUI it has to support bigger than normal fonts. My eyesight is starting to control me.
I have only been on IRC a few times using xchat. I checked the preferences and there is a font setting.
May the FORK be with you!

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#118 Post by Hallvor »

edbarx wrote:I contacted the uselessd team to ask them whether they accept help from me in the fork. They said they use IRC. Does anyone know what I should install to have an IRC client up and running? If the interface is a TUI it has to support bigger than normal fonts. My eyesight is starting to control me.
I have been on IRC since the mid 90s. There are many clients to choose from. In addition to the ones mentioned in the text, you can also set up IRC in Pidgin. I think most clients have options to enlarge fonts.
http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20090 ... 7/IRC.html

Make sure you try to join the channel on the correct network, since you can't necessarily see channels and users from other networks: http://irc.netsplit.de/networks/
Most Debian channels are on the OFTC network. https://wiki.debian.org/IRC
After you have connected to a network, type /join #debian
or whatever the channel name is. type /list
to list all channels on the network.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

koanhead

#119 Post by koanhead »

I'm currently using Pidgin, and there's no way within the application to specify display fonts. On the Pidgin website there's this: https://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/Using% ... roundcolor

I have tested this method (in Testing, no DE) and it works.

buntunub

#120 Post by buntunub »

Just watched this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWux-PA6JCU

The really interesting part starts at time 35, where Poetering discusses all the reasons for why Debian should NOT use Systemd. That's right! Poetering actually spelled out all the reasons why Systemd should NOT be default in Debian TO the Debian DDs at the Debconf. He actually does a really good job of that too by directly addressing the prime concerns anyone in Debian should have issues with, such as rapid development pace, incompatibility with SysV (5% at that time and growing), only works on Linux and will NOT work on BSD, and last but certainly not the least, they "make decisions" on their own on the direction Systemd will go. While this sounds innocuous enough, we are talking about a major monolithic init system here. Any decision they make will have dramatic impacts on Debian.

Lots of salesmanship going on there. Looks like it worked for Poetering. I do find the ideas behind Systemd to be interesting. As an init system, and only as a basic init system, it could be an interesting alternative to SysV. However, there is not one thing that I heard from that presentation that gives a compelling reason to break from SysV. Did I miss something?