Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

nvidia drivers installing themself

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
trevelyan

nvidia drivers installing themself

#1 Post by trevelyan »

Hi,

Today on two systems, both running Jessie, I ran "apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade" as I always do. In both cases the nvidia drivers were pulled in and installed, replacing all the various system openGL libraries.
Neither system have nvidia hardware in them!!! One only has an Intel GFX card, the other is a Radeon/Intel switchable graphics laptop.

In both cases I ran apt-get purge .*nvidia.*, crossed my fingers and hoped that not only will it be fully removed (as if it were never installed) but also that all original files would be returned as they should be.

There is clearly a dependancy or recommended package problem, probably in one of the xorg packages (a guess).

My terminal can't scroll back far enough to get apt-get's output during the apt-get dist-upgrade, but here is the summary from the apt-get purge .*nvidia.*:

Code: Select all

The following extra packages will be installed:
  ocl-icd-libopencl1
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  glx-alternative-mesa* glx-alternative-nvidia* glx-diversions* libcuda1* libcuda1:i386* libcuda1-i386:i386* libegl1-nvidia* libgl1-nvidia-glx* libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386* libgl1-nvidia-glx-i386:i386*
  libgles1-nvidia* libgles2-nvidia* libnvidia-compiler* libnvidia-eglcore* libnvidia-ml1* nvidia-alternative* nvidia-driver* nvidia-installer-cleanup* nvidia-kernel-common* nvidia-kernel-dkms*
  nvidia-libopencl1* nvidia-modprobe* nvidia-opencl-common* nvidia-opencl-icd* nvidia-settings* nvidia-support* nvidia-vdpau-driver* xserver-xorg-video-nvidia*
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  ocl-icd-libopencl1
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 28 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
I will now go to check that the mesa radeon drivers are back before I reboot...

robert3242

Re: nvidia drivers installing themself

#2 Post by robert3242 »

I'll be more blunt and state that I flatly don't believe this. There is no possible way in Debian for Nvidia (or other proprietary drivers) to simply "install themselves." Couldn't happen, not in Jessie, not in Sid, not in Wheezy, not in any other distro Debian's ever produced/released. Whether he's aware of it or not, the OP's done something to bork up package management on his system. That he could even make such a suggestion shows that he hasn't the slightest idea what he's doing, and certainly has no business running Testing in the first place.
Debian 7.7 (amd64)/Xfce 4.8