Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Bootsplash for 2.6.19 =)

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
Jackiebrown

#21 Post by Jackiebrown »

thamarok

#22 Post by thamarok »

Thanks Charlie Brown!

Oh, oops! You are Jackiebrown.. (must have watched a little much Snoopy :oops: )

Jackiebrown

#23 Post by Jackiebrown »

The new bootsplash package adds animation to bootsplash including to the default picture

Jackiebrown

#24 Post by Jackiebrown »

The latest sysv-rc confilicts with sysv-rc-bootsplash but the patch still works.

Simple extract the deb (dpkg -x packagename foldername) and cd in usr/share/bootsplash from the etracted deb.

Then patch -b /etc/init.d/rc rc-bootsplash.patch

Remeber to uninstall the orginal and upgrade your sysv-rv first.

Pobega

#25 Post by Pobega »

I recompiled this into the 2.6.18 kernel, and for some reason I don't get a bootsplash.

After compiling the kernel is there anything else you have to do?

Jackiebrown

#26 Post by Jackiebrown »

did you install the bootsplash package and edit your grub?

Pobega

#27 Post by Pobega »

Jackiebrown wrote:did you install the bootsplash package and edit your grub?
Ooh, right...I do have a question though.

<cut>

Edit: Actually, I think I'll answer this in the other topic for kernel compiling.

CHUCKYCHUCK

#28 Post by CHUCKYCHUCK »

hi !
do you know where i can fin a bootsplash patch for the 2.6.20.1 kernel ? ( an unofficial one i guess, as the bootsplash site only provides for the 2.6.15 )
thx

synux

#29 Post by synux »

The link was given in the first post of this thread (duh!) :)
http://www.stadtwald21.de/mcbeister/boo ... index.html

Just pick up the 2.6.20 patch, it'll work with 2.6.20.1..
Don't dream your life; live your dream!

CHUCKYCHUCK

#30 Post by CHUCKYCHUCK »

how do you know it will ?

edit : i checked the kernel.org 2.6.20.1 changelog, i also think i'll work ^^

but has someone here successfully tested this "unofficial" 2.6.20 bootsplash patch ??

thanks
http://www.pikkitux.com Howtos about Linux, Debian, Ubuntu Webdevelopment, cms .... ( French language )

synux

#31 Post by synux »

CHUCKYCHUCK wrote:how do you know it will ?

edit : i checked the kernel.org 2.6.20.1 changelog, i also think i'll work ^^

but has someone here successfully tested this "unofficial" 2.6.20 bootsplash patch ??

thanks
I was so kind that I went to test it just for you :o
Works fine here.. no problems.. :)

CHUCKYCHUCK

#32 Post by CHUCKYCHUCK »

it doesn't work for me .....
just after i press enter in grub, i see the splashimage in 1024x768, but nothing happens
i entered in grub console mode et deleted the splash=silent to see what message were printed : it gave me an error saying the filesystem couldn't be mounted ....
seems my initrd image was corrupted by the splash executable ....

i use debian sid, here is what i've done from a to z :
_ i patched the 2.6.20.1 kernel sources with the links in the 1st post ( with patch -p1 command ), i enabled the bootsplash option, i and checked that the framebuffer options were enabled
_ compiled my kernel, installed it ( with the --initrd option )
_ apt-geted bootsplash and sysvrc bootplash, however according to the bug reports page of the syscrv package a bug exists in the current version so i downloaded this file, and replaced the one installed by apt-get
http://packages.qa.debian.org/s/sysv-rc-bootsplash.html
_ i downloaded a bootsplash theme in kde look, and i "appended" it to the initrd image with the splash utility, no error messages output
_ edited my menu.lst, by adding the splash=slient and vga=791 parameters to my kernel line

and here i am :s

what have you done exactly to install bootsplash on yours ?
thanks
http://www.pikkitux.com Howtos about Linux, Debian, Ubuntu Webdevelopment, cms .... ( French language )

Jackiebrown

#33 Post by Jackiebrown »

Laziness (and the is real laziness) has prevented me from trying the 2.6.20 patch.

I can confirm that the 2.6.19 patch works on the 2.6.20 kernels though.

Heck, it even works using upstart as well.

synux

#34 Post by synux »

CHUCKYCHUCK wrote:it doesn't work for me .....
just after i press enter in grub, i see the splashimage in 1024x768, but nothing happens
i entered in grub console mode et deleted the splash=silent to see what message were printed : it gave me an error saying the filesystem couldn't be mounted ....
seems my initrd image was corrupted by the splash executable ....

i use debian sid, here is what i've done from a to z :
_ i patched the 2.6.20.1 kernel sources with the links in the 1st post ( with patch -p1 command ), i enabled the bootsplash option, i and checked that the framebuffer options were enabled
_ compiled my kernel, installed it ( with the --initrd option )
_ apt-geted bootsplash and sysvrc bootplash, however according to the bug reports page of the syscrv package a bug exists in the current version so i downloaded this file, and replaced the one installed by apt-get
http://packages.qa.debian.org/s/sysv-rc-bootsplash.html
_ i downloaded a bootsplash theme in kde look, and i "appended" it to the initrd image with the splash utility, no error messages output
_ edited my menu.lst, by adding the splash=slient and vga=791 parameters to my kernel line

and here i am :s

what have you done exactly to install bootsplash on yours ?
thanks
I did exactly everything what you did, but I use Etch and I installed sysvrc-bootsplash from the Etch repositories... :?

CHUCKYCHUCK

#35 Post by CHUCKYCHUCK »

strange ..., maybe i'll try to install the etch version of that package

cya

Jackiebrown

#36 Post by Jackiebrown »

Well to save time if its a deal killer - the bootsplash 20 patch does not work with 2.6.21-rc2

billydv

#37 Post by billydv »

Use Gentoo Sources for your kernel, If you use gentoo-sources to build your kernel, you wont have to worry about patching anything. Install Splashy (or splash-utils or both, cant remeber what I did exactly), and you will have kernel sources that will deefinitely support a bootsplash. Look on the internet for gensplash and a how to, You will also need to adjust grub because gentoo kernels boot just a little different ( the grub lines ). If you want email me and I will email you my grub and my .config for the kernel.
billydv1@verizon.net

Jackiebrown

#38 Post by Jackiebrown »

fbsplash and bootsplash are not the same. That said, you got me using fbsplash.