Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

String command not going to variable.

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Munty Scruntfundle

String command not going to variable.

#1 Post by Munty Scruntfundle »

Hi folks.

If I say:

Code: Select all

output="$(ls -l)"
echo output
I get the ls command output, without cr, but I get an output.

If I say:

output = "$(awk '/Tile/ {match($0, /Tile/); print substr($0, RSTART+5, RLENGTH+20);}' /blender.txt)"
I get an error, command output not found.
The command without the output="$(....)" returns the correct and expected results.

So, why does the second command, which is correct, not work? I'm guessing there's a clash of ' or ) or ", I've tried loads of combinations but I can't get the output into output.

Many thanks.

bw123

Re: String command not going to variable.

#2 Post by bw123 »

Silly questions. bash interprets

$output = anything

as you trying to run the command named output with the flag = and since there is no command named output in your path... there's an error.
output=$(somewhatever) is interpreted assigning a value to a variable. It's different because you didn't put spaces.

Your prior example won't work either, you forgot the $ in echo output, it will just echo the word output.

Pls don;t spam the board with these type posts, I saw at least three really silly posts already, slow down a little?

thanks.

p.s. gosee if linuxzoo is still up it's good
resigned by AI ChatGPT