Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Sudo or not sudo?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Deb-fan

Re: Sudo or not sudo?

#21 Post by Deb-fan »

LMFAO !!! Well was just a wee bit wrong on origins of sudo, per Wikipedia.
Robert Coggeshall and Cliff Spencer wrote the original subsystem around 1980 at the Department of Computer Science at SUNY/Buffalo.[10] Robert Coggeshall brought sudo with him to the University of Colorado Boulder. Between 1986 and 1993, the code and features were substantially modified by the IT staff of the University of Colorado Boulder Computer Science Department and the College of Engineering and Applied Science, including Todd C. Miller.[10] The current version has been publicly maintained by OpenBSD developer Todd C. Miller since 1994,[10] and has been distributed under a ISC-style license since 1999.[10]
Should've known originating something like sudo is wayyyy out of Canonical's league. They just likely popularized it, as they naturally assume a good chunk of their userbase are complete tektards and shouldn't have root access, LOL .. without imposing safe guards (training wheels etc) !!! Sad thing is they're right ! :D
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

Deb-fan

#22 Post by Deb-fan »

WARNING POST CONTAINS ADULT HUMOR: If you can't handle such or your widdle feelers are easily hurt. Turn away from this post now !!!
HEY MAN, I've been using Ubuntu for 12yrs !!!

So that means you can turn your computer off now, without having to unplug it from the wall socket ? :D

zoli62

#23 Post by zoli62 »

There are different Linux distros and there is Debian for everything. :)

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#24 Post by wizard10000 »

Deb-fan wrote:In my view the whole root or sudo, one or other is kind of tarded.
My first wife was a tard. She's a pilot now.

:mrgreen:
Last edited by wizard10000 on 2019-11-10 19:54, edited 1 time in total.
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

Deb-fan

#25 Post by Deb-fan »

^ LMAO !! :D Gee thanks, that's a comforting thought. Looks up @ the ceiling. Was that a plane spiraling out of control towards my apartment ? ;)

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#26 Post by wizard10000 »

Deb-fan wrote:^ LMAO !! :D Gee thanks, that's a comforting thought. Looks up @ the ceiling. Was that a plane spiraling out of control towards my apartment ? ;)
Actually that's a movie quote - Idiocracy. If you haven't seen it you're really missing out :)
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

Deb-fan

#27 Post by Deb-fan »

^ Hey will check it out. Hopefully available on YT. I must now take a break as I'm getting weird due to caffeine and sleep deprivation. I'd better sign off ! :D See ya later Wiz10k and fellow nixers. Tis movie time.

hrsetrdr

#28 Post by hrsetrdr »

Sorry for posting up such an old thread, but this issue keeps nagging me for an answer. Since using Debian 10 I've noticed that using "sudo" has become the default now...apparently(?). I've been using Debian since Sarge was Stable, so this is unexpected...but maybe not, as Debian Wiki is saying:
Using sudo is better (safer) than opening a session as root for a number of reasons, including:

Nobody needs to know the root password (sudo prompts for the current user's password). Extra privileges can be granted to individual users temporarily, and then taken away without the need for a password change.

It's easy to run only the commands that require special privileges via sudo; the rest of the time, you work as an unprivileged user, which reduces the damage that mistakes can cause.
Auditing/logging: when a sudo command is executed, the original username and the command are logged.

For the reasons above, switching to root using sudo -i (or sudo su) is usually deprecated because it cancels the above features. https://wiki.debian.org/sudo/
No big deal, just curious.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
(Albert Einstein).

Onsemeliot

#29 Post by Onsemeliot »

I'm using Debian 10 (Buster) on different systems. And to my knowledge nothing has changed regarding the "sudo" command. You still can get it by not creating a root user. I think the installer is very clear about this. But as ever: you can only make an informed decision if you mindfully read what options the system offers you ...

And in general: I don't think distributions like Ubuntu are making much of a difference by using "sudo". Most users I know (and occasionally assist) don't want to use the terminal if they can somehow avoid it. The need to use the terminal is usually enough complication to shy away most people not interested in the inner workings of a system. Heck, most people just buy a new device if their system gets slow – without even asking if this could be overcome by some administration or other software. The question if their system could become more responsive by quicker storage or more memory isn't something most people would consider. Of course I am talking mostly about people who have always been limited by their proprietary systems where there actually often wasn't much you could do. At least in terms of optimisation on the system level.
People around me are obviously wealthy enough that buying new hardware isn't such a big deal. It is much more annoying for them to invest time than money.

Head_on_a_Stick

#30 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

doas ftw!
deadbang

hrsetrdr

#31 Post by hrsetrdr »

Onsemeliot wrote:. You still can get it by not creating a root user
I must have been distracted and used the Graphical Install instead of the normal installer.
(Albert Einstein).

MALsPa

#32 Post by MALsPa »

hrsetrdr wrote:
I must have been distracted and used the Graphical Install instead of the normal installer.
That part wouldn't matter -- when the user goes with the Graphical install option and the Root password is left blank, you get sudo.

kalle123

#33 Post by kalle123 »

Maybe this text should be revised then ...
'You need to set'

br KH

milomak

#34 Post by milomak »

it is quite clear about what happens when you don't set the password

there is no need to prescriptive

i install sudo and have it use the root password. becomes sometimes i just want to run one command as root.
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

BradleyGuerr

#35 Post by BradleyGuerr »

zocsli62 wrote:Why is it not preferable to use sudo by default in Debian?
it is preferable to use sudo by default in Debian. :D

hrsetrdr

#36 Post by hrsetrdr »

MALsPa wrote:
hrsetrdr wrote:
That part wouldn't matter -- when the user goes with the Graphical install option and the Root password is left blank, you get sudo.
The installer has changed in recent times, an installation would not have progressed if the root password had not been set up.
BradleyGuerr wrote:
Interesting, not so many years ago Debian users were appalled by Ubuntu's default use of sudo.
(Albert Einstein).

MALsPa

#37 Post by MALsPa »

hrsetrdr wrote:
The installer has changed in recent times, an installation would not have progressed if the root password had not been set up.
My most recent installation was a Buster netinstall in September. I used the Graphical install option and left the Root password blank. The installation did indeed proceed, no Root account, was set, and I'm using sudo on that system. I used this iso: firmware-10.1.0-amd64-netinst.iso

So something has changed since last month? I seriously doubt that.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#38 Post by sunrat »

BradleyGuerr wrote:
It's a personal choice, not universally preferable. Ultimately it makes zero difference to the rest of the system.
sudo allows fine-grained control of administrative commands in multi-user systems which may be useful for some.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

hrsetrdr

#39 Post by hrsetrdr »

MALsPa wrote:
hrsetrdr wrote:
So something has changed since last month? I seriously doubt that.
Not last month, "recent times" meaning sometime in the last few years.
(Albert Einstein).

streamvn

#40 Post by streamvn »

Bulkley wrote:Personally, I don't like sudo. To me, it's a cheat.
I'm like you, I don't like sudo either