Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved]Variable in /etc/environment

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
rastoku

[Solved]Variable in /etc/environment

#1 Post by rastoku »

Hi there,
I have tried to change env. default variable LANG. I added LANG=C to /etc/environment file, nothing change default variable still works after restart. Than I added LANG DEFAULT=C OVERRIDE="" to /etc/security/pam_env.conf, but nothing change after restar. I had to use "update-locale LANG=C" and new value was accepted. Why system does nothing with changes in /etc/environment and /etc/security/pam_env.conf, I did what "man environment" recommend, but without success. Can anybody help what to do if I want to make changes with /etc/environment? I do not want to use .bashrc or .profile etc. files, I am interested in /etc/evironment only.
Thank you
Last edited by rastoku on 2020-05-04 12:22, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Variable in /etc/environment

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

rastoku wrote:Why system does nothing with changes in /etc/environment and /etc/security/pam_env.conf
Looks like /etc/default/locale overrides the setting in /etc/environment.

I export a few variables through /etc/environment and they work for me.
deadbang

rastoku

Re: Variable in /etc/environment

#3 Post by rastoku »

I have commented lines in /etc/default/locale and now is /etc/environment working correctly. Thank you