Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 10 occasionally freezes after update from Debian 9

Need help with peripherals or devices?
melfn

Re: Debian 10 occasionally freezes after update from Debian

#21 Post by melfn »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote: Really?
Nobody have noticed what is going on here? Debian 9 Stretch was released starting with kernel v4.9, not v4.6 -> frankendebian or simply a broken system

Don't Break Debian

Regards
My system is definitely a frankendebian. Say whatever you want but this configuration was the only one I managed to boot on my laptop. I explained the reasons why I can't update the kernel a few posts ago.

I will try to update the kernel, I promise, just not now.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#22 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

melfn wrote:My system is definitely a frankendebian.
I have no doubt it is -> You should change the title of this topic, because You're NOT using Debian 10, and it's not Debian 10 which is freezing on Your laptop -> apparently You're using some mix of software packages which are incompatible with each other.

I don't think that by simply upgrading the kernel You'll magically solve all the problems.
IMO You should perform a clean install of the OS, then we can talk about how unstable Debian Buster is ...

Regards.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

melfn

#23 Post by melfn »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:
melfn wrote:My system is definitely a frankendebian.
I have no doubt it is -> You should change the title of this topic, because You're NOT using Debian 10, and it's not Debian 10 which is freezing on Your laptop -> apparently You're using some mix of software packages which are incompatible with each other.
I didn't know I had an outdated kernel until the other users made me notice that when they read the hardware report in the first post of this topic: that's why I didn't include it in the title.

As for the other software: it is updated as I did a full upgrade before posting. I was surprised that the package manager doesn't update the kernel by default.

I don't think that by simply upgrading the kernel You'll magically solve all the problems.
I don't think either, but the other users keep putting me on pressure so I update. Also, since I don't have an updated system it does not make sense to search for the other causes of the problem.

IMO You should perform a clean install of the OS, then we can talk about how unstable Debian Buster is ...

Regards.
Performing a clean install is not possible right now for the reasons I explained a few posts ago.

As for the stability, I found that the problem appears when I resize the xfce4-terminal or gnome-terminal by dragging and dropping the bottom right corner. Clicking on the buttons on the window title bars works flawlessly. Xterm and the other program windows work flawlessly. It seems pretty much a software bug to me, don't you agree?

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#24 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

melfn wrote:As for the stability, I found that the problem appears when I resize the xfce4-terminal or gnome-terminal by dragging and dropping the bottom right corner. Clicking on the buttons on the window title bars works flawlessly. Xterm and the other program windows work flawlessly. It seems pretty much a software bug to me, don't you agree?
First, You didn't made a full upgrade - I suppose that missing kernel is just a tip of the iceberg...

You're talking like an Ubuntu user who is surprised that after installing tons of PPAs the system suddenly crashes.
What could happen? Aren't all that libs supposed to be backward and forward compatible with everything around?
Well, NO...
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

melfn

#25 Post by melfn »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:
melfn wrote:As for the stability, I found that the problem appears when I resize the xfce4-terminal or gnome-terminal by dragging and dropping the bottom right corner. Clicking on the buttons on the window title bars works flawlessly. Xterm and the other program windows work flawlessly. It seems pretty much a software bug to me, don't you agree?
First, You didn't made a full upgrade - I suppose that missing kernel is just a tip of the iceberg...
How do you know that I didn't do a full upgrade? My /etc/apt/sources.list is identical to the Debian 10 default one (fresh install), with the main, contrib and non-free components enabled. apt doesn't show any upgradable package.

Anyway I can check whether my system is up to date or not, what do you want to know in particular?
You're talking like an Ubuntu user who is surprised that after installing tons of PPAs the system suddenly crashes.
What does Ubuntu have to do with my problem? Also I didn't add any external PPA.

What could happen? Aren't all that libs supposed to be backward and forward compatible with everything around?
Well, NO...
As I told a dozen of times I'm waiting for the moment when I can update the kernel to see if my problem does not appear in the fully upgraded system.

andre@home

#26 Post by andre@home »

Suppose... you've putting all the energy in a fresh install.... after first making a backup/image of your current system... you might already being finished with that.... and have an answer on the instability?
How it goes now... the impression is... it does not work... you lose track of what you have done? Do you have log book to make note what you change? To be honest.. I have.... I'm not a Linux starter and not a pro ... but I hate double work... So next to the log book I've images of all my installations...systems are on line in no time. :mrgreen:

melfn

#27 Post by melfn »

andre@home wrote:Suppose... you've putting all the energy in a fresh install.... after first making a backup/image of your current system... you might already being finished with that.... and have an answer on the instability?
How it goes now... the impression is... it does not work... you lose track of what you have done? Do you have log book to make note what you change? To be honest.. I have.... I'm not a Linux starter and not a pro ... but I hate double work... So next to the log book I've images of all my installations...systems are on line in no time. :mrgreen:
If you read the previous posts you will know the reason why I could not update the kernel right now. For the same reason i cannot do a fresh install.

andre@home

#28 Post by andre@home »

took that kernel from nowhere in particular: it came with Debian 9 when I installed it back in 2017 (Debian 9 was the testing distribution at that time if I remember well)
LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:2020-05-30 20:57 ::
Really?
Nobody have noticed what is going on here? Debian 9 Stretch was released starting with kernel v4.9, not v4.6 -> frankendebian or simply a broken system

Don't Break Debian
Regards
I join this reaction on your "right" kernel.
So how much effort does it take to make an image of your current OS and you can test a fresh install.
Or: For just testing reason get your self some cheap or free hard disk that is laying under the dust and do the test with that disk and than your current disk stays as it is now.
First of all you learn from the fresh install and second... .it may solve all your problems...also the frankendebian you may have..

melfn

#29 Post by melfn »

andre@home wrote:
took that kernel from nowhere in particular: it came with Debian 9 when I installed it back in 2017 (Debian 9 was the testing distribution at that time if I remember well)
LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:2020-05-30 20:57 ::
Really?

Don't Break Debian
Regards
I join this reaction on your "right" kernel.
So how much effort does it take to make an image of your current OS and you can test a fresh install.
A lot of effort actually.
It took me three evenings to install Debian on this laptop (see the previous posts) and there is no guarantee that the system will work with the new setting. Also in this period I have deadlines and other stuff so I cannot take the risk of making a fresh install now.

Or: For just testing reason get your self some cheap or free hard disk that is laying under the dust and do the test with that disk and than your current disk stays as it is now.
First of all you learn from the fresh install and second... .it may solve all your problems...also the frankendebian you may have..
I need it to work with this hardware. I will do a kernel upgrade when it's time.

andre@home

#30 Post by andre@home »

I run my full disk images when I sleep... so very efficient wrt time.
For critical systems I've always a complete ready to go disk to replace the problem disk.
Such actions give a lot of rest/confidence in case of a problem.... as if you then have a problem.. and you have to solve that instantaneously ... I wish that person a lot of strength.... while changing my disk maybe takes 5-15 minutes at max. Disks are so cheap, when you organize data storage in another way. You "just" have to organize your IT a little bit focused for that route. But you get the reward when you suddenly have a disk problem that can be solved by putting in the spare disk.
Not getting to the deadlines ... may much more expensive if you keep on crumbling forward...

What laptop (with type name/nr) do you have?

Succes with your challenges.

melfn

#31 Post by melfn »

andre@home wrote:I run my full disk images when I sleep... so very efficient wrt time.
For critical systems I've always a complete ready to go disk to replace the problem disk.
Such actions give a lot of rest/confidence in case of a problem.... as if you then have a problem.. and you have to solve that instantaneously ... I wish that person a lot of strength.... while changing my disk maybe takes 5-15 minutes at max. Disks are so cheap, when you organize data storage in another way. You "just" have to organize your IT a little bit focused for that route. But you get the reward when you suddenly have a disk problem that can be solved by putting in the spare disk.
I have a full disk backup on another media.

Not getting to the deadlines ... may much more expensive if you keep on crumbling forward...
I don't understand what do you mean.

What laptop (with type name/nr) do you have?

Succes with your challenges.
Please find this information in the hardware report in the very first topic.

andre@home

#32 Post by andre@home »

Sorry about missing the tech specs that you already posted in #1.

Dell Inspiron 13-7359 (06FD): Compared to the Latitude or Precision the Inspirons are still nice machines, but much less flexible than the others.
So you likely do not have the option to have a 2nd HD permanently in another bay. Inspirons are built more to be a consumer laptop not a professional type.
Of course with your budget you may already be very glad with what you have now.

Still it is pretty easy to change the hard disk with a cheap extra HD, which gives you still the option to find out installing the newest Debian and see if it works as you like.
In this way you avoid the risk of loosing the installation which is on your current disk.

I consider this as a far beter option then taking the risk thats involves also an unpredictable loss of time, to continue with your current system and stubble forwards to some solution with that.
So far you did not show a solid plan to realize that based on all the input given.

In my proposal you at least separate testing the new installation from the problems you have on your original system/disk.
As your original disk is your production system.... and it is called on the forum a > frankendebian or simply a broken system.
In my position I would not sleep very well with that status.

Separation of problem and the route for a solution would be my choice.
As:
Never do experiments to go for a solution on your production laptop....

Or is the cost of a buying a 1 TB hard disk starting at ~ 45 euros, 2 TB starting at ~ 65 euros a problem? An SSD is somewhat more expensive.

melfn

#33 Post by melfn »

andre@home wrote:Sorry about missing the tech specs that you already posted in #1.
no problem

Dell Inspiron 13-7359 (06FD): Compared to the Latitude or Precision the Inspirons are still nice machines, but much less flexible than the others.
So you likely do not have the option to have a 2nd HD permanently in another bay. Inspirons are built more to be a consumer laptop not a professional type.
Of course with your budget you may already be very glad with what you have now.
As I told before the hardware is a given, I can't afford/don't want to buy a new laptop now.

Still it is pretty easy to change the hard disk with a cheap extra HD, which gives you still the option to find out installing the newest Debian and see if it works as you like.
In this way you avoid the risk of loosing the installation which is on your current disk.
I consider this as a far beter option then taking the risk thats involves also an unpredictable loss of time, to continue with your current system and stubble forwards to some solution with that.
I can't open my pc. I mean: I'm not able to and also I don't want to.

So far you did not show a solid plan to realize that based on all the input given.
So far my plan is: I'll update the kernel when it is possible (definitely not now). If it does work maybe I'll do a fresh install.

In my proposal you at least separate testing the new installation from the problems you have on your original system/disk.
As your original disk is your production system.... and it is called on the forum a > frankendebian or simply a broken system.
In my position I would not sleep very well with that status.

Separation of problem and the route for a solution would be my choice.
As:
Never do experiments to go for a solution on your production laptop....

Or is the cost of a buying a 1 TB hard disk starting at ~ 45 euros, 2 TB starting at ~ 65 euros a problem? An SSD is somewhat more expensive.
I've never heard of production laptops before. Relax, it's just a laptop (not a server nor a commodity machine...).

andre@home

#34 Post by andre@home »

melfn wrote:I've never heard of production laptops before. Relax, it's just a laptop (not a server nor a commodity machine...).
Here you state:
melfn wrote: A lot of effort actually.
It took me three evenings to install Debian on this laptop (see the previous posts) and there is no guarantee that the system will work with the new setting. Also in this period I have deadlines and other stuff so I cannot take the risk of making a fresh install now.
I would say... this sounds normally ... typically... like a production laptop...maybe you have another name for it, that's OK but does not change this situation. As... "Whats in a name..."....

Sorry I stop following you, this goes nowhere....
Good luck with solving your frankendebian/ broken system problems.

melfn

#35 Post by melfn »

andre@home wrote:
melfn wrote:I've never heard of production laptops before. Relax, it's just a laptop (not a server nor a commodity machine...).
Here you state:
melfn wrote: A lot of effort actually.
I would say... this sounds normally ... typically... like a production laptop...maybe you have another name for it, that's OK but does not change this situation. As... "Whats in a name..."....
That's because this is the laptop I use for working and I cannot take the risk of not having it available for three days in case the upgrade/fresh install fails.
Now it is broken (in some sense) but at least it works.

Sorry I stop following you, this goes nowhere....
Good luck with solving your frankendebian/ broken system problems.
No problem.

andre@home

#36 Post by andre@home »

melfn wrote:
andre@home wrote:
That's because this is the laptop I use for working and I cannot take the risk of not having it available for three days in case the upgrade/fresh install fails.
The confirmation .... for working.." means a production laptop... indeed whats in a name....;)

melfn

#37 Post by melfn »

I finally updated the kernel by installing the `linux-image-amd64` package. Now I have an up-to-date machine and the computer no longer freezes when I resize the terminal window by dragging and dropping the bottom-right corner.

Sometimes it still randomly freezes but much less frequently: say once a week while before it happened once a day. I suspect most of the crashes happen when I have lots of programs opened but I have not identified a more precise cause yet. I will let you know if I discover more about this issue.

Thank you very much for your time (and for your patience :) thus far.

melfn

#38 Post by melfn »

Finally I managed to perform a fresh install of Debian 10. Wireless was not working but I just installed the firmware package and now it works (I already knew it).
Also, the package `linux-image-amd64` was already installed, I'm not sure why it was not there in the first installation of Debian 9.

Now I'm using my laptop and waiting to see whether it crashes or not, here is the complete hardware report as of today

Code: Select all

Script started on 2020-12-29 14:50:58+01:00 [TERM="xterm-256color" TTY="/dev/pts/0" COLUMNS="80" LINES="24"]
root@mirandolina:/home/ludovica# lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Debian
Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
Release:	10
Codename:	buster
root@mirandolina:/home/ludovica# uname -a
Linux mirandolina 4.19.0-13-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.160-2 (2020-11-28) x86_64 GNU/Linux
root@mirandolina:/home/ludovica# lscpu
Architecture:        x86_64
CPU op-mode(s):      32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order:          Little Endian
Address sizes:       39 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
CPU(s):              4
On-line CPU(s) list: 0-3
Thread(s) per core:  2
Core(s) per socket:  2
Socket(s):           1
NUMA node(s):        1
Vendor ID:           GenuineIntel
CPU family:          6
Model:               78
Model name:          Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz
Stepping:            3
CPU MHz:             800.098
CPU max MHz:         3100.0000
CPU min MHz:         400.0000
BogoMIPS:            5184.00
Virtualization:      VT-x
L1d cache:           32K
L1i cache:           32K
L2 cache:            256K
L3 cache:            4096K
NUMA node0 CPU(s):   0-3
Flags:               fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc art arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf tsc_known_freq pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm 3dnowprefetch cpuid_fault epb invpcid_single pti ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid ept_ad fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid mpx rdseed adx smap clflushopt intel_pt xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 xsaves dtherm ida arat pln pts hwp hwp_notify hwp_act_window hwp_epp flush_l1d
root@mirandolina:/home/ludovica# lshw
mirandolina
    description: Laptop
    product: Inspiron 13-7359 (06FD)
    vendor: Dell Inc.
    serial: 1VY1B82
    width: 64 bits
    capabilities: smbios-2.8 dmi-2.8 smp vsyscall32
    configuration: boot=normal chassis=docking family=Inspiron sku=06FD uuid=44454C4C-5600-1059-8031-B1C04F423832
  *-core
       description: Motherboard
       product: 05VN9R
       physical id: 0
       version: A00
       serial: /1VY1B82/CN7620662G000H/
     *-firmware
          description: BIOS
          version: 1.20.0
          date: 05/15/2018
          size: 64KiB
          capacity: 12MiB
          capabilities: pci pnp upgrade shadowing cdboot bootselect edd int13floppy1200 int13floppy720 int13floppy2880 int5printscreen int9keyboard int14serial int17printer acpi usb smartbattery biosbootspecification netboot uefi
     *-cache:0
          description: L1 cache
          physical id: 3d
          slot: L1 Cache
          capacity: 64KiB
          capabilities: synchronous internal write-back data
          configuration: level=1
     *-cache:1
          description: L1 cache
          physical id: 3e
          slot: L1 Cache
          capacity: 64KiB
          capabilities: synchronous internal write-back instruction
          configuration: level=1
     *-cache:2
          description: L2 cache
          physical id: 3f
          slot: L2 Cache
          size: 512KiB
          capacity: 512KiB
          capabilities: synchronous internal write-back unified
          configuration: level=2
     *-cache:3
          description: L3 cache
          physical id: 40
          slot: L3 Cache
          size: 4MiB
          capacity: 4MiB
          capabilities: synchronous internal write-back unified
          configuration: level=3
     *-cpu
          description: CPU
          product: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz
          vendor: Intel Corp.
          physical id: 41
          bus info: cpu@0
          version: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz
          serial: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
          slot: U3E1
          size: 2006MHz
          capacity: 3100MHz
          clock: 100MHz
          capabilities: lm fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp x86-64 constant_tsc art arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf tsc_known_freq pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm 3dnowprefetch cpuid_fault epb invpcid_single pti ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid ept_ad fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid mpx rdseed adx smap clflushopt intel_pt xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 xsaves dtherm ida arat pln pts hwp hwp_notify hwp_act_window hwp_epp flush_l1d cpufreq
          configuration: cores=2 enabledcores=2 threads=4
     *-memory
          description: System Memory
          physical id: 42
          slot: System board or motherboard
          size: 8GiB
        *-bank
             description: SODIMM DDR3 Synchronous 1600 MHz (0.6 ns)
             product: HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB
             vendor: SK Hynix
             serial: 16121216
             slot: ChannelA-DIMM0
             size: 8GiB
             clock: 1600MHz (0.6ns)
     *-pci
          description: Host bridge
          product: Skylake Host Bridge/DRAM Registers
          vendor: Intel Corporation
          physical id: 100
          bus info: pci@0000:00:00.0
          version: 08
          width: 32 bits
          clock: 33MHz
          configuration: driver=skl_uncore
          resources: irq:0
        *-display
             description: VGA compatible controller
             product: HD Graphics 520
             physical id: 2
             bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
             version: 07
             capabilities: pciexpress msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
             configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
             resources: irq:125 memory:d0000000-d0ffffff memory:c0000000-cfffffff ioport:f000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff
        *-generic:0
             description: Signal processing controller
             product: Skylake Processor Thermal Subsystem
             physical id: 4
             bus info: pci@0000:00:04.0
             version: 08
             capabilities: msi pm cap_list
             configuration: driver=proc_thermal latency=0
             resources: irq:16 memory:d1120000-d1127fff
        *-usb
             description: USB controller
             product: Sunrise Point-LP USB 3.0 xHCI Controller
             physical id: 14
             bus info: pci@0000:00:14.0
             version: 21
             capabilities: pm msi xhci bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=xhci_hcd latency=0
             resources: irq:123 memory:d1110000-d111ffff
           *-usbhost:0
                product: xHCI Host Controller
                vendor: Linux 4.19.0-13-amd64 xhci-hcd
                bus info: usb@1
                logical name: usb1
                version: 4.19
                capabilities: usb-2.00
                configuration: driver=hub slots=12 speed=480Mbit/s
              *-usb:0
                   description: Human interface device
                   product: ST_SENSOR_HUB
                   vendor: STMicroelectronics
                   bus info: usb@1:4
                   version: 0.37
                   serial: ST_SENSOR_HUB
                   configuration: driver=usbhid maxpower=100mA speed=12Mbit/s
              *-usb:1
                   description: Video
                   product: Integrated_Webcam_HD
                   vendor: CN0GNXH572487612B52JA02
                   physical id: 5
                   bus info: usb@1:5
                   version: 43.07
                   configuration: driver=uvcvideo maxpower=500mA speed=480Mbit/s
              *-usb:2
                   description: Mass storage device
                   product: USB2.0-CRW
                   vendor: Generic
                   physical id: 6
                   bus info: usb@1:6
                   logical name: scsi1
                   version: 77.11
                   serial: 20121112761000000
                   capabilities: usb-2.01 scsi emulated
                   configuration: driver=ums-realtek maxpower=500mA speed=480Mbit/s
                 *-disk
                      description: SCSI Disk
                      product: SD/MMC/MS PRO
                      vendor: Generic-
                      physical id: 0.0.0
                      bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
                      logical name: /dev/sdb
                      version: 1.00
                      serial: 2012062914345300
                      size: 183GiB (196GB)
                      capabilities: removable
                      configuration: ansiversion=4 logicalsectorsize=512 sectorsize=512
                    *-medium
                         logical name: /dev/sdb
                         size: 183GiB (196GB)
                         capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
                       *-volume
                            description: HPFS/NTFS partition
                            physical id: 1
                            logical name: /dev/sdb1
                            logical name: /media/ludovica/3230-3330
                            capacity: 183GiB
                            capabilities: primary
                            configuration: mount.fstype=fuseblk mount.options=rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096 state=mounted
              *-usb:3
                   description: Human interface device
                   product: Touchscreen
                   vendor: ELAN
                   physical id: 7
                   bus info: usb@1:7
                   version: 20.15
                   configuration: driver=usbhid maxpower=100mA speed=12Mbit/s
              *-usb:4
                   description: Bluetooth wireless interface
                   vendor: Intel Corp.
                   physical id: 8
                   bus info: usb@1:8
                   version: 0.01
                   capabilities: bluetooth usb-2.00
                   configuration: driver=btusb maxpower=100mA speed=12Mbit/s
           *-usbhost:1
                product: xHCI Host Controller
                vendor: Linux 4.19.0-13-amd64 xhci-hcd
                bus info: usb@2
                logical name: usb2
                version: 4.19
                capabilities: usb-3.00
                configuration: driver=hub slots=6 speed=5000Mbit/s
        *-generic:1
             product: Sunrise Point-LP Serial IO I2C Controller #0
             physical id: 15
             bus info: pci@0000:00:15.0
             capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=intel-lpss latency=0
             resources: irq:16 memory:d1137000-d1137fff
        *-generic:2
             product: Sunrise Point-LP Serial IO I2C Controller #1
             physical id: 15.1
             bus info: pci@0000:00:15.1
             capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=intel-lpss latency=0
             resources: irq:17 memory:d1136000-d1136fff
        *-communication
             description: Communication controller
             product: Sunrise Point-LP CSME HECI #1
             physical id: 16
             bus info: pci@0000:00:16.0
             capabilities: pm msi bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=mei_me latency=0
             resources: irq:126 memory:d1135000-d1135fff
        *-sata
             description: SATA controller
             product: Sunrise Point-LP SATA Controller [AHCI mode]
             physical id: 17
             bus info: pci@0000:00:17.0
             logical name: scsi0
             clock: 66MHz
             capabilities: sata msi pm ahci_1.0 bus_master cap_list emulated
             configuration: driver=ahci latency=0
             resources: irq:124 memory:d1130000-d1131fff memory:d1134000-d11340ff ioport:f090(size=8) ioport:f080(size=4) ioport:f060(size=32) memory:d1133000-d11337ff
           *-disk
                description: ATA Disk
                product: SAMSUNG SSD PM87
                physical id: 0.0.0
                bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
                logical name: /dev/sda
                version: 3D0Q
                serial: S1ZTNXAG905075
                size: 238GiB (256GB)
                capabilities: gpt-1.00 partitioned partitioned:gpt
                configuration: ansiversion=5 guid=6d21a840-f77c-42ed-907c-9ad1c6489952 logicalsectorsize=512 sectorsize=512
              *-volume:0 UNCLAIMED
                   description: Windows FAT volume
                   vendor: mkfs.fat
                   bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0,1
                   version: FAT32
                   serial: 2b49-182a
                   size: 510MiB
                   capacity: 511MiB
                   capabilities: boot fat initialized
                   configuration: FATs=2 filesystem=fat
              *-volume:1
                   description: EXT4 volume
                   vendor: Linux
                   bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0,2
                   logical name: /dev/sda2
                   logical name: /
                   version: 1.0
                   serial: ff3fc6be-3d1f-4d1a-8289-066871e33ef7
                   size: 79GiB
                   capabilities: journaled extended_attributes large_files huge_files dir_nlink recover 64bit extents ext4 ext2 initialized
                   configuration: created=2020-12-29 12:27:48 filesystem=ext4 lastmountpoint=/ modified=2020-12-29 14:49:01 mount.fstype=ext4 mount.options=rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro mounted=2020-12-29 14:49:01 state=mounted
              *-volume:2
                   description: EXT4 volume
                   vendor: Linux
                   physical id: 3
                   bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0,3
                   logical name: /dev/sda3
                   logical name: /home
                   version: 1.0
                   serial: 0fb09b43-3f05-4871-a06f-706a301f40ce
                   size: 158GiB
                   capabilities: journaled extended_attributes large_files huge_files dir_nlink recover 64bit extents ext4 ext2 initialized
                   configuration: created=2020-12-29 12:27:53 filesystem=ext4 lastmountpoint=/home modified=2020-12-29 14:49:02 mount.fstype=ext4 mount.options=rw,relatime mounted=2020-12-29 14:49:02 state=mounted
        *-pci
             description: PCI bridge
             product: Sunrise Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #5
             physical id: 1c
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1c.0
             version: f1
             capabilities: pci pciexpress msi pm normal_decode bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=pcieport
             resources: irq:122 memory:d1000000-d10fffff
           *-network
                description: Wireless interface
                product: Wireless 3165
                bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
                logical name: wlp1s0
                version: 79
                serial: 08:d4:0c:d9:1b:79
                capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
                configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwlwifi driverversion=4.19.0-13-amd64 firmware=29.1044073957.0 ip=192.168.1.14 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
                resources: irq:139 memory:d1000000-d1001fff
        *-isa
             description: ISA bridge
             product: Sunrise Point-LP LPC Controller
             physical id: 1f
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.0
             capabilities: isa bus_master
             configuration: latency=0
        *-memory UNCLAIMED
             description: Memory controller
             product: Sunrise Point-LP PMC
             physical id: 1f.2
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.2
             clock: 33MHz (30.3ns)
             configuration: latency=0
             resources: memory:d112c000-d112ffff
        *-multimedia
             description: Audio device
             product: Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio
             physical id: 1f.3
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.3
             capabilities: pm msi bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=snd_hda_intel latency=32
             resources: irq:140 memory:d1128000-d112bfff memory:d1100000-d110ffff
        *-serial
             description: SMBus
             product: Sunrise Point-LP SMBus
             physical id: 1f.4
             bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.4
             configuration: driver=i801_smbus latency=0
             resources: irq:16 memory:d1132000-d11320ff ioport:f040(size=32)
     *-pnp00:00
          product: PnP device PNP0c02
          capabilities: pnp
          configuration: driver=system
     *-pnp00:01
          product: PnP device PNP0b00
          configuration: driver=rtc_cmos
     *-pnp00:02
          product: PnP device INT3f0d
          physical id: 3
     *-pnp00:03
          product: PnP device PNP0303
          configuration: driver=i8042 kbd
     *-pnp00:04
          product: PnP device DLL06fd
          physical id: 5
          configuration: driver=i8042 aux
     *-pnp00:05
          physical id: 6
     *-pnp00:06
          physical id: 7
     *-pnp00:07
          physical id: 8
     *-pnp00:08
          physical id: 9
     *-pnp00:09
          physical id: a
  *-battery
       product: DELL 4K8YH5A
       vendor: Sanyo
       version: 10/07/2015
       serial: 044E
       slot: Sys. Battery Bay
       capacity: 45140mWh
       configuration: voltage=10.8V
root@mirandolina:/home/ludovica# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Skylake Host Bridge/DRAM Registers (rev 08)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 520 (rev 07)
00:04.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Skylake Processor Thermal Subsystem (rev 08)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP USB 3.0 xHCI Controller (rev 21)
00:15.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Serial IO I2C Controller #0 (rev 21)
00:15.1 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Serial IO I2C Controller #1 (rev 21)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP CSME HECI #1 (rev 21)
00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 21)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #5 (rev f1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP LPC Controller (rev 21)
00:1f.2 Memory controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PMC (rev 21)
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio (rev 21)
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SMBus (rev 21)
01:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 3165 (rev 79)
root@mirandolina:/home/ludovica# exit

Script done on 2020-12-29 14:53:19+01:00 [COMMAND_EXIT_CODE="0"]

melfn

#39 Post by melfn »

melfn wrote: Now I'm using my laptop and waiting to see whether it crashes or not, here is the complete hardware report as of today
FYI it does still crash, approximately once a day for no particular reason. No I have set up Journalctl so I can read the jurnal log as suggested in the very first posts.
LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote: I have no doubt it is -> You should change the title of this topic, because You're NOT using Debian 10, and it's not Debian 10 which is freezing on Your laptop -> apparently You're using some mix of software packages which are incompatible with each other.

Now I'm using Debian 10, it still crashes and we can talk about how unstable Debian Buster is (:

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#40 Post by CwF »

is one Debian the same as another?
Mine run for months, and months. They should be able to run for years, but we shouldn't necessarily let them...some can't make it a day! Maybe get something else.